PDA

View Full Version : Son hasn't had a good year

fettpett
09-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Well as most of you know my Son nearly drowned on Easter of this year (he's doing incredibly well from that incident)

Well, yesterday was another bad day for him.. About 10:30 he went outside to play, shortly after we heard a scream from him, I went running to see what was going on. He came running inside and right behind him were two Rottweilers. One had bit him in the left arm right above the elbow. After a 5 hour stay in the ER yesterday he had 3 stitches to close the puncture wounds.

I was quite shaken and close to shooting the dogs for biting my son, however I called 911 and got animal control out here. meanwhile the owner and another lady had gotten them. The worse part is that they seemed like really nice dogs otherwise. I don't blame the bred or the dogs themselves for being dogs, I blame the owners for not following park rules and allowing them to get out.

They are in quarantine for 10 days, however the Park manager has said that they will no longer be allowed in the Park. I feel bad for the dogs and any of the other owners that will be affected by this, but I don't feel bad for the owners losing them or having to find another place to live since it was their irresponsibility that allowed this to happen.

Shannon
09-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I HATE those dogs. :mad: I'm glad your son is okay.

fettpett
09-27-2010, 09:41 AM
thanks

I don't blame the bred...while they can be mean, they can also be sweethearts. the same goes for any of the "problem breds"
on that note, Golden reterivers bite more people each year than any of the "bad breds"

Shannon
09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
thanks

I don't blame the bred...while they can be mean, they can also be sweethearts. the same goes for any of the "problem breds"
on that note, Golden reterivers bite more people each year than any of the "bad breds"

Maybe but I've never had a retriever try to attack my infant son and myself.

noonwitch
09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
thanks

Rotts can be good dogs, my neighbors in Detroit had a really nice one. They are very loyal to their owners, and these two dogs should not have been running around a park without their owners having them on leashes and under control. Maybe the shelter can find better owners for them.

You should sue the owner for the medical bills, if any. My niece got bit in the face by a dog, and the cost was high for the treatment.

Phillygirl
09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow, the poor kid. Although if it only took 3 stitches the dog wasn't really trying to hurt him. One good bite and his arm would have been taken off. Glad your son is doing okay.

Articulate_Ape
09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Wow, the poor kid. Although if it only took 3 stitches the dog wasn't really trying to hurt him. One good bite and his arm would have been taken off. Glad your son is doing okay.

Yeah, what she said.

I missed the near drowning story, fettpett, what happened?

SaintLouieWoman
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Rotts can be good dogs, my neighbors in Detroit had a really nice one. They are very loyal to their owners, and these two dogs should not have been running around a park without their owners having them on leashes and under control. Maybe the shelter can find better owners for them.

You should sue the owner for the medical bills, if any. My niece got bit in the face by a dog, and the cost was high for the treatment.

So glad it wasn't worse, hate to think what could have happened. Rotties can be a good breed, ditto some of the other "bad" breeds. It's generally the owners that make them mean and allow bad things to happen because of their irresponsibility.

Noonwitch is right. Go after those owners. Their homeowners insurance should cover your medical expenses. I learned that the hard way about 6 years ago when a neighbor's springer spaniel (think spaniel rage) attacked my greyhound. $5k later in vet bills they never offered to help with any expense. When it was too late, someone tipped me off about the insurance.

Hope your son is getting better. Those puncture wounds are frightening.

lacarnut
09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
A dog that bites a kid unless provoked needs to be put down. I don't care if it is a 3 pound dog and/or a Heinz variety breed.

The owners are at fault here and I would go after them for medical bills. If they did not pony up the money pronto, I would sue in small claims court for pain and suffering along with doctor bills. You do not need a lawyer and the procees is very simple.

Hope your son is okay.

RobJohnson
09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm glad your son is ok. There is nothing that bothers me more then knowing a child is hurt or in an accident.

fettpett
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
thanks everyone. poor little guy has been through a lot.

@Ape, at Easter my parents came over and we were at the motel's pool, he tried getting to me but can't swim, fortunately God gave my mom the nudge to turn and see him floating in the pool behind us, got him out and between my sister and I we got him breathing, all the water went into his stomach instead of his lungs.

as far as the medical, the kids are on medicare right now due to me being unemployed. From what my father-in-law has said, they would probably go after them for reimbursement. I could go after them for pain and suffering for my son...right now though I'm not worried about it.

The dogs are under quarantined for 10 days then they have another 24 hours to get rid of the dog or the park will start the process of removing the owners from the park.

Articulate_Ape
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
thanks everyone. poor little guy has been through a lot.

@Ape, at Easter my parents came over and we were at the motel's pool, he tried getting to me but can't swim, fortunately God gave my mom the nudge to turn and see him floating in the pool behind us, got him out and between my sister and I we got him breathing, all the water went into his stomach instead of his lungs.

Geez. That had to be scary as hell. Glad it turned out the way it did.

Starbuck
09-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Jeez, glad it has turned out all right.

I know you'll do what you can to make sure that he does not develop an necessary fear of dogs. I can see where it would be easy for a child to group all dogs together after something like that.

Rebel Yell
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Maybe but I've never had a retriever try to attack my infant son and myself.

Dogs can sense evil. Your son was just in the wrong place at the wrong trime.

Phillygirl
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Jeez, glad it has turned out all right.

I know you'll do what you can to make sure that he does not develop an necessary fear of dogs. I can see where it would be easy for a child to group all dogs together after something like that.

My niece was bitten in the face by an akita a few years ago, when she was about 4. A couple of weeks after that she was at my house and saw a dog (a smaller dog) and immediately wanted to pet it, which I thought was a very good sign. While petting the dog she looked at me and said "this is a nice dog, Aunt Philly, it doesn't have blood in its mouth or anything."

Ummm, yeah, I guess she remembered the last thing she saw before being taken to the hospital, but good to know she hadn't connected that it was her blood in his mouth.

RobJohnson
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
My niece was bitten in the face by an akita a few years ago, when she was about 4. A couple of weeks after that she was at my house and saw a dog (a smaller dog) and immediately wanted to pet it, which I thought was a very good sign. While petting the dog she looked at me and said "this is a nice dog, Aunt Philly, it doesn't have blood in its mouth or anything."

Ummm, yeah, I guess she remembered the last thing she saw before being taken to the hospital, but good to know she hadn't connected that it was her blood in his mouth.

I'm glad your niece turned out ok.

fettpett
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Got some new information today about the dogs that bit my son. apparently this is the 3 or 4th such incident by these dogs. I'm considering even more than before to file a suit against these people. Addison has been really good since the attack, he's played and petted at lest 3 dogs and isn't scared to go outside, However it just pisses me off that there are owners out there that dont take responsiblity for what thier animals done. We haven't heard anything from them, no check in or appoligy for what happened.

SaintLouieWoman
10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Got some new information today about the dogs that bit my son. apparently this is the 3 or 4th such incident by these dogs. I'm considering even more than before to file a suit against these people. Addison has been really good since the attack, he's played and petted at lest 3 dogs and isn't scared to go outside, However it just pisses me off that there are owners out there that dont take responsiblity for what thier animals done. We haven't heard anything from them, no check in or appoligy for what happened.

File something against his homeowner's policy and definitely report the incident (sure you already have) to the police. There's no excuse if it's the 3rd or 4th time. Obviously these people are as irresponsible as the jerks who let their aggressive dog out with no supervision with an invisible fence that didn't work as they were too lazy or stupid to put in new batteries.

I listened for many weeks as my poor greyhound howled in pain from his injuries (infection went up the tail into the spine from the multiple bites). Those people finally paid about $180 for the first vet visit. There were over $5k in bills.

It was bad enough to have my dog hurt. I would have gone totally ballistic if it were my kid. My ex said to be a good neighbor and not report it. The stupid dog kept going after people. Long after I found out the concept of homeowner's insurance paying for expenses.

There were no apologies from those people, either. I confronted the guy at a neighborhood picnic. It did no good, but I felt better. At that point my dog had died.