PDA

View Full Version : 2 Inmates Escape From My Prison

NJCardFan
09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.nbc40.net/news/14775/

I know there are a couple here who are from NJ, just keep alert for these 2 knuckleheads. It wasn't a classic type escape. They were in the minimum camp so it's more like a walk away than an escape but they're treated the same. The electronic surveillance is a joke at best so no one saw these 2 idiots jump the fence. I don't know the one guy but the other, Southerland, I had on my housing unit for over a year. He was in the drug treatment program and had less than a year on his sentence so his escape is a head scratcher. And before you ask, no I wasn't working.

m00
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
He was in the drug treatment program and had less than a year on his sentence so his escape is a head scratcher. And before you ask, no I wasn't working.

Well, most people who are in prison don't get there because they are smart. :p

on edit: (referring to inmates only!) :D

NJCardFan
09-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, most people who are in prison don't get there because they are smart. :p

on edit: (referring to inmates only!) :D

Believe me, there are dumbasses in blue as well.

m00
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Believe me, there are dumbasses in blue as well.

So you probably have some very keen insights into the idiocy that is both the criminal mind, and the criminal justice system. Do you think we're just basically getting stupider as a country (and therefore producing more criminals), or are we getting better at making more things illegal through over-legislation, or are we getting better at finding law-breakers / obtaining convictions? Or some of the above? :D

Gingersnap
09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
So you probably have some very keen insights into the idiocy that is both the criminal mind, and the criminal justice system. Do you think we're just basically getting stupider as a country (and therefore producing more criminals), or are we getting better at making more things illegal through over-legislation, or are we getting better at finding law-breakers / obtaining convictions? Or some of the above? :D

I'm not "in the system" but I would pick #1 and #2.

I'd add pick #4: the instant consequences for law-breaking are less important and more removed. People don't tackle the purse-snatcher, people don't rat out their criminal neighbors, people don't shoot burglars, rapists, etc. (outside of my state and a few others).

NJCardFan
09-27-2010, 11:30 PM

Some of the above really but more specifically, we stopped making prison a punishment. Even the verbiage has changed. We no longer have penitentiary's or even prisons. They're correctional facilities. Rehabilitation and social construct is what drives prisons today, not punishing people for their crimes. In the prison where I work inmates get: television both free in the dayrooms or they have the option of buying a television for their cell. The feed they get is free. They get the proverbial 3 hots and a cot but they can buy products off of commissary. Candy, chips, stuff to make soup or other things. They get visits from family and they can make phone calls all day long. They can go to school and even work. There is no incentive to stay out of jail. Prison time, unless it's life or anything over 5 years, is nothing but a vacation. A minor annoyance on the path of life. It's not punishment. This is why recidivism is so high. Back in the day, if you went to prison, chances are you would try your best not to return. I can't count how many times I've seen inmates parole or max out only to come back mere months from getting released.

Sonnabend
09-28-2010, 08:28 AM
He was in the drug treatment program and had less than a year on his sentence so his escape is a head scratcher.

Either the other guy made him go with him to make sure he didnt raise the alarm, or he's an idiot who just added years to his sentence.

My guess is the former.

Speedy
09-28-2010, 10:56 AM
So you probably have some very keen insights into the idiocy that is both the criminal mind, and the criminal justice system. :D

No he does not. You would be amazed at how little the guards and staff know about what is going on inside the prisons. An inmate could go in right after a shakedown and easily find tons of shit that guards had no idea was there. It is not that the guards are stupid (though many truly are) it is just that they are hogtied by perspective from their point of view. They can't look at things from other than their point of view.

noonwitch
09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
My favorite prison escape is the one in Florida in the 90s, where a bunch of inmates dug a tunnel under the prison's chapel. The chaplain had been complaining to prison security for weeks about hearing digging noises under the chapel, but no one ever checked it out until a bunch of inmates used it to escape. The inmates involved were all Mariel Boatlift "refugees", too.

I feel badly for you, Cardfan, because I also work for the state and I know how stupid government agencies get over very public mistakes like this. It means at least 50 pages more of paper for each inmate.

NJCardFan
09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Either the other guy made him go with him to make sure he didnt raise the alarm, or he's an idiot who just added years to his sentence.

My guess is the former.

Well, he's a Blood and Holloway is a 5 star so he was doing what he was told.

I have an update. Holloway was captured about 60 miles north of the prison. Shows you how incredibly stupid these people are. They had a 2 hour head start before anyone knew they were missing and 3 whole days to split and what did at least this one do? Go home. Knowing Southerland the way I do, he'll be caught soon as well.

Kay
09-29-2010, 10:40 PM
In the prison where I work inmates get: television both free in the dayrooms or they have the option of buying a television for their cell. The feed they get is free. They get the proverbial 3 hots and a cot but they can buy products off of commissary. Candy, chips, stuff to make soup or other things. They get visits from family and they can make phone calls all day long. They can go to school and even work.

Do you by chance have any vacant cells there?
I could sure use about a month long vacation and this sounds pretty nice.

NJCardFan
10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Just an update. Both inmates have now been apprehended. The first was a scant 4 days after escaping. The 2nd, just a couple of days ago...in his hometown...after he got high at a party. Geniuses these guys are. Especially the 2nd guy. You have a month head start and you...go home? :confused: So his little month long vacation has several consequences. For starters, the 5 years he's going to get tacked on for escaping in the first place. Then he has no chance of ever seeing a minimum or community(half way house) ever again. Just goes to show you can't fix stupid.

djones520
10-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Just an update. Both inmates have now been apprehended. The first was a scant 4 days after escaping. The 2nd, just a couple of days ago...in his hometown...after he got high at a party. Geniuses these guys are. Especially the 2nd guy. You have a month head start and you...go home? :confused: So his little month long vacation has several consequences. For starters, the 5 years he's going to get tacked on for escaping in the first place. Then he has no chance of ever seeing a minimum or community(half way house) ever again. Just goes to show you can't fix stupid.

You said one of them was a short termer. Any idea how much longer he had when he hopped that fence?

And for a guy whose locked in a secure compound seperated from his family, and being forced to eat food that might as well come from a prison, a year can be a LOOONG effin time. Hell, these 4 months have been a long ass time.

NJCardFan
10-21-2010, 12:36 PM
You said one of them was a short termer. Any idea how much longer he had when he hopped that fence?

And for a guy whose locked in a secure compound seperated from his family, and being forced to eat food that might as well come from a prison, a year can be a LOOONG effin time. Hell, these 4 months have been a long ass time.

Southernand was set for parole next June but his max date was March of 2012 so at worst he had another year and a half to do. Now he'll get 5 more years tacked on. I looked him up last night and it says he's back in our jail but I didn't see him in detention, which is where I worked last night. I'll find out more today.

Odysseus
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Some of the above really but more specifically, we stopped making prison a punishment. Even the verbiage has changed. We no longer have penitentiary's or even prisons. They're correctional facilities. Rehabilitation and social construct is what drives prisons today, not punishing people for their crimes. In the prison where I work inmates get: television both free in the dayrooms or they have the option of buying a television for their cell. The feed they get is free. They get the proverbial 3 hots and a cot but they can buy products off of commissary. Candy, chips, stuff to make soup or other things. They get visits from family and they can make phone calls all day long. They can go to school and even work. There is no incentive to stay out of jail. Prison time, unless it's life or anything over 5 years, is nothing but a vacation. A minor annoyance on the path of life. It's not punishment. This is why recidivism is so high. Back in the day, if you went to prison, chances are you would try your best not to return. I can't count how many times I've seen inmates parole or max out only to come back mere months from getting released.

Sounds cushier than a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan. :mad:

noonwitch
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Southernand was set for parole next June but his max date was March of 2012 so at worst he had another year and a half to do. Now he'll get 5 more years tacked on. I looked him up last night and it says he's back in our jail but I didn't see him in detention, which is where I worked last night. I'll find out more today.

One of my former delinquent charges is in a similar boat. He was originally convicted of a minor felony, but assaulted COs and attempted to escape, and is still in prison after 15 years because he keeps getting new charges behind bars.

I check on him regularly because he threatened me once, and threw a table at me.

m00
10-23-2010, 01:57 AM
One of my former delinquent charges is in a similar boat. He was originally convicted of a minor felony, but assaulted COs and attempted to escape, and is still in prison after 15 years because he keeps getting new charges behind bars.

In terms of getting additional time added to your sentence, is this something the warden determines? Or is there a judicial committee?

Sonnabend
10-23-2010, 05:51 AM
In terms of getting additional time added to your sentence, is this something the warden determines? Or is there a judicial committee?

No, he or she is charged and tried. Additionally, if he or she escapes, the charge and sentence are automatic. Escaping here gets you another five years or more, depending on the circumstances.

One moron here assaulted one guard and a gatekeeper in the course of his escape, the judge threw the book at him. He got twenty years.

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 08:04 PM

At least in NJ, it's a whole new set of charges. Escape is just another crime. He's probably going to get Ad/Seg(administrative segregation or, putting it in layman's terms, solitary confinement) time for pissing hot. The joke is that when Southerland voided a urine, it was so hot it nearly melted the cup.

djones520
10-23-2010, 08:17 PM

I check on him regularly because he threatened me once, and threw a table at me.

It's interesting how people are wired... I could never see myself beind like that. I KNOW that such actions will never get me anywhere, and would never allow myself to do it.

So is it an issue of lack of self control? Or do they just not care? Or is there just something in their head that tells them that it is the right way to act?

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
It's interesting how people are wired... I could never see myself beind like that. I KNOW that such actions will never get me anywhere, and would never allow myself to do it.

So is it an issue of lack of self control? Or do they just not care? Or is there just something in their head that tells them that it is the right way to act?

I was talking to an inmate who had "times in"(has been down for a lot of years) and he says most inmates look at that type of behavior as weakness. When you go out of your way to show how tough you are, chances are, you're a punk. Also, most inmates who have a ton of years to do, resign themselves to it and try to make the best of it. They know that doing this kind of stuff will only make life miserable for you. And when you have 30 years to do, making life miserable just doesn't make sense. One tier I had had a lot of guy with 20 or more years done or to do. It was the best unit I've ever worked and I hated to give it up but a job I wanted came up and I took it.