PDA

View Full Version : Shots Fired at University of Texas Austin

namvet
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
A gunman wearing a ski mask and brandishing a rifle entered a library at the University of Texas Austin today and fired several shots before taking his own life, university officials said.
Police are still looking for a possible second gunman, according to officials, and the campus remains on lockdown.
There have been no reported injuries, according to officials.

source (http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405)

brings back horrors of the Charles Whitman killings in 1966

Wei Wu Wei
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
This is my alma mater. I still live a few blocks away I can hear the sirens and see the choppers flying around. SWAT has brought in an APC.

i know several current students I've been hea4ring lots of updates this is insane.

tha5t PCL is my favorite library of all time I've spent so many hours in there....

Also today is my birthday FYI

Wei Wu Wei
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
They set up this badass armored mobile command center. Terrifying. It seems most of the action has died down. No victims. The only person hurt was the gunman who killed himself.

asshole probably bled all over my books

Wei Wu Wei
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/i4k4y9.jpg

namvet
09-28-2010, 11:59 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/i4k4y9.jpg

since your there keep us updated. looks like its under control

Wei Wu Wei
09-28-2010, 12:01 PM
It is. It was pretty chaotic for the first hour or so, but the gunman is dead, all students are safe, and SWAT is doing building-to-building searches right now.

My gf was planning to stop by that very library today.

I used to go to that library daily when I was a student and still have a membership and frequent it.

wild stuff.

namvet
09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
there's a short vid posted here. but mostly a look back the Whitman killings

link (http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405)

Nubs
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
How do you have a "membership" to a university library??

Wei Wu Wei
09-28-2010, 12:26 PM

If you're not a current student you have to pay for all of the sweet university library benefits. Being an alumni helps though.

namvet
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
here's a more informative vid from fox

link (http://video.foxnews.com/v/4352138/shooting-on-university-of-texas-campus)

Jfor
09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Just another reason why CCW should be allowed on college campuses.

KhrushchevsShoe
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Thats up to the university and its student/faculty body. I really dont see why care though, its obvious you dont really frequent these kinds of places.

On an unrelated note: Wei went to school with a bunch of dirty hippies who listen to bad indie rock. Ha ha ha.

Odysseus
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
On an unrelated note: Wei went to school with a bunch of dirty hippies who listen to bad indie rock. Ha ha ha.

And I'm sure that their parents considered him a bad influence on them.

Jfor
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Thats up to the university and its student/faculty body. I really dont see why care though, its obvious you dont really frequent these kinds of places.

Oh noes, the idiot tried to cut me down. Listen here dipshit, I have my degree. I work for a living unlike you. I also carry every single day, everywhere I go. I will not be a victim, unlike you.

KhrushchevsShoe
09-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh noes, the idiot tried to cut me down. Listen here dipshit, I have my degree. I work for a living unlike you. I also carry every single day, everywhere I go. I will not be a victim, unlike you.

Wow you work?! So do I, we have so much in common.

Bailey
09-29-2010, 07:45 PM

One of life's mysteries is how liberals who hate the police and everything military want only them to carry weapons. :rolleyes:

Jfor
09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow you work?! So do I, we have so much in common.

Some how I seriously doubt that. You are a tool.

Jfor
09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
One of life's mysteries is how liberals who hate the police and everything military want only them to carry weapons. :rolleyes:

Yes it is. Libtards cannot wrap their minds around the fact that the police are not responsible for your safety. They are a reactionary force.

Sonnabend
09-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Thats up to the university and its student/faculty body. I really dont see why care though, its obvious you dont really frequent these kinds of places.Another VT avoided because the goblin topped himself. If not, then it would have been another shooting spree, in yet another gun free zone.:rolleyes:

One of life's mysteries is how liberals who hate the police and everything military want only them to carry weapons.

..and then scream "brutality" if they actually USE them.

m00
09-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Well, this is a necessary evil in the mind of the Liberal. If the police and military did not have a monopoly on firearms, then it would not be possible to forcibly extract such a large percentage of taxes from the working population. Which, as every Liberal knows, is where subsidies come from & the only valid source of funding for the Liberal Lifestyle. In progressive circles, this is referred to as the "Circle of Wealth."

Kay
09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
This is my alma mater. I still live a few blocks away

Mine too, and my nephew is there now, but he wasn't anywhere near at the time

PCL is my favorite library of all time I've spent so many hours in there....

Me too, but I'm so old they only had 5 books when I was there :o

I used to go to that library daily when I was a student and still have a membership and frequent it.

Me too, but mostly online now.

I am a life member of the ex-student's association and have been since I graduated in 1982. One of the benefits of that is my membership to the all the UT libararies for life. I can go when in Austin and check out books using my life membership card.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Ironically enough, the night of the shooting there was a debate scheduled to take place on this very issue.

I hardly think anyone else carrying a gun would have prevented this man from killing himself and probably would have made the panicky, frantic search for subjects and weapons MUCH more difficult for the police

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Mine too, and my nephew is there now, but he wasn't anywhere near at the time

Me too, but I'm so old they only had 5 books when I was there :o

Me too, but mostly online now.

I am a life member of the ex-student's association and have been since I graduated in 1982. One of the benefits of that is my membership to the all the UT libararies for life. I can go when in Austin and check out books using my life membership card.

UT rules. we both rule.

Jfor
10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Ironically enough, the night of the shooting there was a debate scheduled to take place on this very issue.

I hardly think anyone else carrying a gun would have prevented this man from killing himself and probably would have made the panicky, frantic search for subjects and weapons MUCH more difficult for the police

Wrong.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Yep because when the entire campus is on lock down and SWAT arrives with an APC and dozens of police are sweeping the area with what look like automatic rifles, what is best to aid in the process of reducing casualities and clearing the area of all threats - is a wild west style shooting spree with 150 rednecks scared shitless and firing their gun at whatever they believe are possible threats to themselves.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 12:12 PM
People who call for stuff like that live in a weird fantasy world where everyone is an expert marksman, with cold uberrational emotionless self-interested reason like a god damn batman. In this world, whenever a Bad Guy starts trouble with his Gun, every Good Guy spins around, takes aim, and shoots the Bad Guy down and everyone enjoys a round of drinks until the police come and they all get medals.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
In real life, unless you have special training (and sometimes especially then, if you're dealing with something like undiagnosed PTSD) , most people panic at the site of violence, guns, and a disruption of the social order. People panic and run, hide, or try to fight. Most people don't fight because they cannot, but if they were able to, t hey would. The problem is that panicked people are not rational people, they make mistakes, they may not shoot well, they may exacerbate the problem more easily that they may solve it. The police were ready to shoot anyone they saw with a firearm when this happened, having a bunch of people with concealed guns is not going to make any process of solving the problem easier, only harder. You end up with dozens of suspects, the police need to bring even greater degrees of force in case of the unpredictable happening with dozens of armed subjects, it's chaos.

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every saturday.

Bailey
10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
In real life, unless you have special training (and sometimes especially then, if you're dealing with something like undiagnosed PTSD) , most people panic at the site of violence, guns, and a disruption of the social order. People panic and run, hide, or try to fight. Most people don't fight because they cannot, but if they were able to, t hey would. The problem is that panicked people are not rational people, they make mistakes, they may not shoot well, they may exacerbate the problem more easily that they may solve it. The police were ready to shoot anyone they saw with a firearm when this happened, having a bunch of people with concealed guns is not going to make any process of solving the problem easier, only harder. You end up with dozens of suspects, the police need to bring even greater degrees of force in case of the unpredictable happening with dozens of armed subjects, it's chaos.

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every Saturday.

Any other constitutional rights you think we should do away with? He shit head CCW owners are often better trained in firearm handling the the cops who more often then not just go to the range to get qualified. They are more likely to shy away from trouble due to the CCW they carry and dont want to lose that right.

Remember when seconds count the cops are minutes away.

Bailey
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
People who call for stuff like that live in a weird fantasy world where everyone is an expert marksman, with cold uberrational emotionless self-interested reason like a god damn batman. In this world, whenever a Bad Guy starts trouble with his Gun, every Good Guy spins around, takes aim, and shoots the Bad Guy down and everyone enjoys a round of drinks until the police come and they all get medals.

I know i said this before but this kind of blanket statement needs to be rebutted again and again and again...

CCW have to jump through alot of hoops to get that not to mention and I am willing to bet spend TONS more time at the range then most cops.

Let me know what other Constitutional rights we can do away with.

Odysseus
10-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Yep because when the entire campus is on lock down and SWAT arrives with an APC and dozens of police are sweeping the area with what look like automatic rifles, what is best to aid in the process of reducing casualities and clearing the area of all threats - is a wild west style shooting spree with 150 rednecks scared shitless and firing their gun at whatever they believe are possible threats to themselves.

So, in your world, all Texans, even at UT in Austin, are rednecks? Tell me, have you ever had to report for sensitivity training to deal with this tendency to stereotype? I know that schools usually have those kinds of classes for people who display bigoted tendencies, and you are a teacher, so I was just wondering how many times they made you go through the process before they gave up on you.

lacarnut
10-01-2010, 02:07 PM

More liberal left wing bull shit coming out of your stupid mouth. Pussies like you are pathetic.

Jfor
10-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every saturday.

In your little fantasy world of gumdrops and unicorns firearms are not needed. In the real world, not so much. You most likely piss your pants at the site of a firearm. If CCW were allowed on college campuses, I can guarantee you that even these incidents of suicide would go away. As to your little retort of wild west bullshit, there is ZERO evidence that this would happen. Your kind also said that when the assault weapons ban sunsetted, that the streets would run red with blood. That hasn't happened. Folks who have a CCW take that responsibility seriously. They don't go out of their way looking for trouble. BTW, I had my gun on me everywhere I went while I was in Austin a couple of weeks back.

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
In real life, unless you have special training (and sometimes especially then, if you're dealing with something like undiagnosed PTSD) , most people panic at the site of violence, guns, and a disruption of the social order. No, they don.t and seeing as you have never been in any emergency situation, you don't know. I come from a family of cops. I DO know.

People panic and run, hide, or try to fight. Most people don't fight because they cannot, but if they were able to, they would.Especially if they have a locked and loaded firearm with which to protect themselves.

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every saturday.You are an IDIOT.

Right now? Comparing me to a cop? I am a better shot and practise more with my weapon in a month than a cop does in a YEAR.

They have maybe half a day training per year, they spend very little if any time at the range, and when they train, they use COMPUTER SIMULATIONS for Gods sakes.

Called "simunition". They train using computer simulations. No Hogan's alley. No "shoot or dont shoot" with real ammo. The cops here are AFRAID of their firearms.

Quite frankly, I'd feel safer with a friend who has CCW, and can field strip, clean, and maintain his weapon and can hit what he fucking well aims at, rather than a cop who doesnt put that gun in his hand except for training days. I am expected to trust THEM with MY life when I am more proficient in firearms handling and marksmanship than they are?

Get REAL.

Kay
10-01-2010, 07:46 PM
UT rules. we both rule.

Well....you're half right. ;)

Strongly disagree with you on the civilians being armed.

Bubba Dawg
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM
When I was in college at the University of North Florida there was a shooting on campus while I was between classes.

It turned out to be a domestic thing and this was before columbine and similar events. I remember being afraid and, for a few minutes, looking for a place of refuge. The shooting was about 100 yards from where I was, in another building, but it was disturbing. One student was killed.

It troubled me. Still does.

Jfor
10-01-2010, 10:03 PM
When I was in college at the University of North Florida there was a shooting on campus while I was between classes.

It turned out to be a domestic thing and this was before columbine and similar events. I remember being afraid and, for a few minutes, looking for a place of refuge. The shooting was about 100 yards from where I was, in another building, but it was disturbing. One student was killed.

It troubled me. Still does.

Exactly why I refuse to be a victim. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Big Guy
10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Ever wonder why you never hear about mass shootings at gun ranges?