PDA

View Full Version : New Cybersecurity Bill Gives Obama ‘Power To Shut Down Companies’

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
New Cybersecurity Bill Gives Obama ‘Power To Shut Down Companies’

Businesses who don’t follow government orders would be suspended for at least 90 days with no congressional oversight

Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet.com
Tuesday, September 28, 2010

An amalgamated cybersecurity bill that lawmakers hope to pass before the end of the year includes new powers which would allow President Obama to shut down not only entire areas of the Internet, but also businesses and industries that fail to comply with government orders following the declaration of a national emergency – increasing fears that the legislation will be abused as a political tool.

The draft bill is a combination of two pieces of legislation originally crafted by Senators Lieberman and Rockefeller. One of the differences between the new bill and the original Lieberman version is that the Internet “kill switch” power has been limited to 90 days without congressional oversight, rather than the original period of four months contained in the Lieberman bill.

In other words, President Obama can issue an emergency declaration that lasts 30 days and he can renew it for a further 60 days before congress can step in to oversee the powers.

The new powers would give Obama a free hand to not only shut down entire areas of the Internet and block all Internet traffic from certain countries, but under the amalgamated bill he would also have the power to completely shut down industries that don’t follow government orders, according to a Reuters summary of the new bill.

“Industries, companies or portions of companies could be temporarily shut down, or be required to take other steps to address threats,” states the report, citing concerns about an “imminent threat to the U.S. electrical grid or other critical infrastructure such as the water supply or financial network.”

The only protection afforded to companies under the new laws is that they would have to be defined as “critical” in order to come under government regulation, but since the government itself would decide to what companies this label applies, it’s hardly a comforting layer of security.

Prison Planet (http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-cybersecurity-bill-gives-obama-power-to-shut-down-companies.html)

Jfor
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Even though it is from Prison Planet, this is a real bill. It is scary how much power the government would get from this.

m00
09-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Cue Wei Wei:

"Bush would have done it, if only he had thought of it first"

HarryHeart
10-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm afraid Mr. Obama may decide the real threat is us.

HarryHeart
10-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Even though it is from Prison Planet, this is a real bill. It is scary how much power the government would get from this.

The sad thing is, nobody seems to care. At least no one with the power to stop it. That and the fact they are doing it from several quarters at the same time (EPA comes to mind) so it makes it difficult to keep track of. We pay attention, of course, but the general populace continues to assume all these powers will be used for good. Any of us who have lived long enough know all things roll downhill - the rule of unintended consequences. Once you give your power away, it's tough to get it back. Look at Venezuela.

m00
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
The sad thing is, nobody seems to care. At least no one with the power to stop it. That and the fact they are doing it from several quarters at the same time (EPA comes to mind) so it makes it difficult to keep track of. We pay attention, of course, but the general populace continues to assume all these powers will be used for good. Any of us who have lived long enough know all things roll downhill - the rule of unintended consequences. Once you give your power away, it's tough to get it back. Look at Venezuela.

I would say impossible without another revolution. Congress is really great at writing laws and taking money & power away from the People. But once gone, it's gone. I said the same thing under Bush of course, and conservatives generally gave me the "you must hate America, you terrorist" line. I think the real problem with this country is that people tend to be a bit blind to loss of liberty when their party is the one doing it.

Rockntractor
10-03-2010, 11:19 PM
I would say impossible without another revolution. Congress is really great at writing laws and taking money & power away from the People. But once gone, it's gone. I said the same thing under Bush of course, and conservatives generally gave me the "you must hate America, you terrorist" line. I think the real problem with this country is that people tend to be a bit blind to loss of liberty when their party is the one doing it.

A lot of this loss of liberty is caused by us, we ask the government to protect us from every imaginable danger and then when they do we can't understand why, the list of laws and protections here is endless so I won't list any of them.
We need to learn to take responsibility and care for ourselves again, our government is a reflection of the people that vote them in.