PDA

View Full Version : Thais Bust Traveler W. 90 Kg. Of Elephant Ivory - 2010 Bangkok Airport Seizures Near

Beefeater
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Just love the Hatrack, but he isn't worth burning a mole over.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=115x259646

hatrack (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-28-10 01:15 PM
Original message
Thais Bust Traveler W. 90 Kg. Of Elephant Ivory - 2010 Bangkok Airport Seizures Near 2 Tons

Customs officials found 16 pieces of cut ivory on searching a 62-year-old Malaysian man at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Thailand in August. Recently released information shows that the traveler was carrying nearly 200 pounds (90 kilograms) of ivory in four suitcases after arriving from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

"The Thai Royal Customs is committed to taking strong measures to ensure that proper legal import and export procedures under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora is adhered to at every check-point across the country especially Suvarnabhumi Airport," Mr. Ekalarp Rattanarut, Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Bureau said in a statement.

I can only assume that the proper DUmmy/progressive response should be...

JUST LEGALIZE IVORY!! Wouldn't that solve all the problems?

noonwitch
09-28-2010, 03:49 PM
My dad went to India in the 70s, and smuggled out some ivory for us. He also brought back some rupees, and you're not supposed to bring currency back with you from India.

I stil have a couple of little charms (like for a bracelet) that are made of ivory. One of the guys who went with my dad brought back a hookah, and my mom looked at it and said "What a pretty piece of pottery".

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I can only assume that the proper DUmmy/progressive response should be...

JUST LEGALIZE IVORY!! Wouldn't that solve all the problems?

Actually, it might. It would have to necessarily be a very long term investment but managing elephant herds to harvest and sell the ivory from dead animals might be profitable enough to hire the kind of 24/7 guards needed to kill poachers.

The same might also be true of many other endangered but lucrative animals like rhinos and tigers. The East fuels the market for these animal parts and there doesn't seem to be a top to that market. Skillfully managed with sat GPS tracking and enough man power, governments could conceivably almost eliminate poaching and smuggling while making enough money to break-even or even profit.

NJCardFan
09-28-2010, 07:46 PM
My dad went to India in the 70s, and smuggled out some ivory for us. He also brought back some rupees, and you're not supposed to bring currency back with you from India.

I stil have a couple of little charms (like for a bracelet) that are made of ivory. One of the guys who went with my dad brought back a hookah, and my mom looked at it and said "What a pretty piece of pottery".

What did you smoke out of it?

hoplophobe
09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Mammoth ivory FTW.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/8026187/Russia-digs-up-woolly-mammoth-remains-for-guilt-free-ivory.html

Taking advantage of a global ban on the trade in elephant ivory, Russia is gambling that ivory lovers around the world will pay a premium for ethically friendly mammoth ivory instead.

Michelle Obama, the US First Lady, has been spotted wearing jewellery crafted from the mammoth ivory...

Joe Inflate
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Actually, it might. It would have to necessarily be a very long term investment but managing elephant herds to harvest and sell the ivory from dead animals might be profitable enough to hire the kind of 24/7 guards needed to kill poachers.

The same might also be true of many other endangered but lucrative animals like rhinos and tigers. The East fuels the market for these animal parts and there doesn't seem to be a top to that market. Skillfully managed with sat GPS tracking and enough man power, governments could conceivably almost eliminate poaching and smuggling while making enough money to break-even or even profit.

That is an EXCELLENT idea. It's like mining, but the gold is renewable! Imagine that! Only... no government, please, ok?

I wonder what they do now with the carcasses of elephants that die of old age.

noonwitch
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
What did you smoke out of it?

I was a kid at the time. Nothing. I'm pretty sure my dad tried it out a few times, though, at least while he was in India.

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Being a mule is the worst. It's a bitch swallowing that much ivory. :D

noonwitch
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Being a mule is the worst. It's a bitch swallowing that much ivory. :D

My dad rolled the ivory pieces into his socks and packed it right in his suitcase, which was searched by customs on both sides. Most were small things, like the charms. One was an elephant figurine, about the size of a Hummel.

It was a more innocent time, and people could do this.