PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to an Opera?

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I haven't. I don't really want to except that I think it would be cool to actually go to one and experience the whole thing from beginning to end.

The pageantry. The costumes. The production. Might be fun.

I didn't really want to go to a Broadway musical but I went to a few and really enjoyed them.

Are you a fan of opera? Which one would you recommend, not counting Gilbert and Sullivan?

patriot45
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Bubba! You gotta stop this crap! Next thing you'll be fascinated by interior decorating!!

Gonna have to change that butch name dude!! :D

Big Guy
09-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I haven't. I don't really want to except that I think it would be cool to actually go to one and experience the whole thing from beginning to end.

I didn't really want to go to a Broadway musical but I went to a few and really enjoyed them.

Are you a fan of opera? Which one would you recommend, not counting Gilbert and Sullivan?

Bubba, not You,......Nooooooooooooo:eek:

Rockntractor
09-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I use the Opera browser!:confused:

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey. Hey hey.

Lots of manly guys like opera. :mad:

AND Broadway musical. ... well....some guys.......um

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I use the Opera browser!:confused:

Cool. Browse one up for me.

Make sure it has a fat lady in it to sing.

patriot45
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey. Hey hey.

AND Broadway musical. ... well....some guys.......um

Er...um... Guys in tights! :rolleyes:

:D

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Er...um... Guys in tights! :rolleyes:

:D

Dude, that's ballet. ....:cool:

I really like ballet......am I digging deeper here? :eek:

patriot45
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Dude, that's ballet.
I really like ballet......am I digging deeper here? :

I dunno! Do you dig this artist!?!:rolleyes::cool::eek:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/Decorated%20images/Michael-bolton-album-cover-onething.jpg

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I dunno! Do you dig this artist!?!:rolleyes::cool::eek:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/Decorated%20images/Michael-bolton-album-cover-onething.jpg

NO!!!.

I mean, no.

Never could stand him.

patriot45
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
NO!!!.

I mean, no.

Never could stand him.

Alls good then! :D

Because hes the gay!

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Alls good then! :D

Because hes the gay!

Yepper. Wish I could sing like him though.

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes, I've been to operas and they rock!

You will seldom feel quite as "grown-up" as you do when attending the opera. You don't have to mortgage the house for clothes but try to look adult. Do buy the program (not the libretto). It's not only helpful but it's a nice souvenir.

There are many styles of opera including "Old West" melodramas. To find out what you might like, just Google it and listen to some links. In general:

French: naughty, humorous, and wicked;
Italian: florid, sensual, and tragic;
German: violent, mythic, and supernatural.

Those aren't actual opera classifications but it comes close to the spirit of the thing.

For a taste of an operatic voice singing contemporary music, try Sarah Brightman.

You can buy operas on DVD now also. ;)

patriot45
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM

You will seldom feel quite as "grown-up" as you do when attending the opera. You don't have to mortgage the house for clothes but try to look adult. Do buy the program (not the libretto). It's not only helpful but it's a nice souvenir.

There are many styles of opera including "Old West" melodramas. To find out what you might like, just Google it and listen to some links. In general:

Those aren't actual opera classifications but it comes close to the spirit of the thing.

For a taste of an operatic voice singing contemporary music, try Sarah Brightman.

Ugh, I think I'll go poke my eye with a stick! Opera, last on my bucket list!:D

Big Guy
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
The Only Opry I have ever been to or will ever go to is The Grand Ole Opry. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks Ginger.

I know operas are in many languages, but when I think opera I think Italian opera. At least for a first listen. But, I also love Mozart.

I recently bought a CD for $1.00 and it was entirely composed of arias from operas.

I want to see a really well done production, costumes, orchestra, the whole nine yards.

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The Only Opry I have ever been to or will ever go to is The Grand Ole Opry. :D

I love that Opry House too. It reopened today, didn't it? (After the flood.)

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks Ginger.

I know operas are in many languages, but when I think opera I think Italian opera. At least for a first listen. But, I also love Mozart.

I recently bought a CD for $1.00 and it was entirely composed of arias from operas.

I want to see a really well done production, costumes, orchestra, the whole nine yards.

You will probably have to travel and stay overnight (but that's part of the fun). Just look for opera companies in your state or a near-by state. Don't be cheap with the tickets - you want to sit where you can easily see everything.

Take some cash along for the intermission. Those wine glasses and cheese snacks don't buy themselves. Make a late night rezzie somewhere nice for "after". :)

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
You will probably have to travel and stay overnight (but that's part of the fun). Just look for opera companies in your state or a near-by state. Don't be cheap with the tickets - you want to sit where you can easily see everything.

Take some cash along for the intermission. Those wine glasses and cheese snacks don't buy themselves. Make a late night rezzie somewhere nice for "after". :)

Good idea. Make an evening of it. Miz Bubba enjoys stuff like that.

I'm lucky. She also loves football games. :D

Starbuck
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Yup! We love the opera.

Tell ya how to go, too:
Read the libretto first. The libretto is the story. Mostly they're easy to read, and you are going to want to understand the story before you go.

Buy the music. Listen to it first, and then with your knowledge of the story and the music you will be well armed.

And read a little bit about opera. For German operas you applaud at different times than at Italian operas. It doesn't really make much difference, but you will want to be informed.

Recommendation:
Mozart's "The Magic Flute". It's loads of fun and The Revenge Aria requires the soprano to hit the F above high C two or three times, and I'm telling you, you will be on the edge of your seat anticipating her super high note.

BTW... The Magic Flute was written just before Mozart's mysterious death and the is some conjecture that he may have been assassinated because the opera gives away some of the secrets of the Masonic Lodge initiation. They took that stuff awfully seriously.;)

Bubba Dawg
09-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Yup! We love the opera.

Tell ya how to go, too:
Read the libretto first. The libretto is the story. Mostly they're easy to read, and you are going to want to understand the story before you go.

Buy the music. Listen to it first, and then with your knowledge of the story and the music you will be well armed.

And read a little bit about opera. For German operas you applaud at different times than at Italian operas. It doesn't really make much difference, but you will want to be informed.

Recommendation:
Mozart's "The Magic Flute". It's loads of fun and The Revenge Aria requires the soprano to hit the F above high C two or three times, and I'm telling you, you will be on the edge of your seat anticipating her super high note.

BTW... The Magic Flute was written just before Mozart's mysterious death and the is some conjecture that he may have been assassinated because the opera gives away some of the secrets of the Masonic Lodge initiation. They took that stuff awfully seriously.;)

Cool Thanks.

I actually already have The Magic Flute on CD.

Bailey
09-29-2010, 08:02 PM

No I am not gay. :( :D

Bailey
09-29-2010, 08:07 PM
NO!!!.

I mean, no.

Never could stand him.

Dude let your inner ghey out, you know you want to. :eek::D

BadCat
09-29-2010, 08:35 PM
If it don't have electric guitar, it ain't music.

RobJohnson
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey.

Name one please. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
If it don't have electric guitar, it ain't music.

Fergot about Tommy.....

Ask and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find.....knock.....knock....knock....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRR-WlLVj74

Bubba Dawg
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Name one please. :D

Well there's ......um......and.......I'm thinking.......UM........GIMMIE A MINUTE..........

linda22003
09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I've been to many operas since my first, in Paris in 1969. I'd recommend "Boheme" for a first opera for ease of understanding the story and familiarity of the music. I'd recommend "Turandot" for spectacle.

Bubba Dawg
09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I've been to many operas since my first, in Paris in 1969. I'd recommend "Boheme" for a first opera for ease of understanding the story and familiarity of the music. I'd recommend "Turandot" for spectacle.

I've heard of Boheme. The other is new to me.

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I've heard of Boheme. The other is new to me.

"Turandot" - haunting!

linda22003
09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
You've probably heard the famous aria from Turandot, "Nessun dorma". It has the (as usual) unbelievable story about an icy Chinese princess and the prince who wants to marry her. Google images of "Turandot" and you'll see the fabulous sets it has had over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hKG_leBRs

Space Gravy
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM

No. But I've been to the ballet. Twice.

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 10:39 PM
No. But I've been to the ballet. Twice.

That sounds more like a threat than a recommendation.

lacarnut
09-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I like classical music but opera is too fru fru for me.

noonwitch
09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
I've been to a few operas. I saw Tosca and The Masked Ball by Verdi in Grand Rapids, and I saw an awesome production of The Barber of Seville at the Detroit Opera House. I hate german opera, and don't really care for Gilbert and Sullivan.

I recommend "Barber". It's fun, the music is familiar to any Bugs Bunny fan, and nobody dies at the end. Verdi's operas are depressing.

I've never seen D'Vorak's Russalka performed live, but I love the music from it. Not that many opera stars can sing in czeck, so it's not performed that much outside of the Czeck republic. Renee Fleming has recorded it, though, and the most famous aria "Ode to the Silvery Moon" has been recorded by others-Amici used it on their first album, and Sarah Brightman recorded a version that was translated into latin on one of her cds.

Rebel Yell
09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Ugh, I think I'll go poke my eye with a stick! Opera, last on my bucket list!:D

The bucket is higher on my list than the opera.

Space Gravy
09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
That sounds more like a threat than a recommendation.

It's nice to know my post, even if it's about ballet, oozes testosterone.:D

linda22003
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
It's nice to know my post, even if it's about ballet, oozes testosterone.:D

How could it not? You're The Stig.

Bailey
09-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I never knew there were so many gay guys on CU :(

You guys shattered my pre-conceived notions of this place :eek:

linda22003
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM

On the other hand, you've fulfilled our preconceived notions of you.

Bailey
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM

You said something?

Bubba Dawg
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Dude, it's not unmanly to admit to an appreciation for the aesthetic things in life.

Kinda like the Samurai.

I still enjoy football and shooting and soccer.

Bubba says Relax. It be okay.

Bubba Dawg
09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
You've probably heard the famous aria from Turandot, "Nessun dorma". It has the (as usual) unbelievable story about an icy Chinese princess and the prince who wants to marry her. Google images of "Turandot" and you'll see the fabulous sets it has had over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hKG_leBRs

Beautiful.

I started listening and was like, no.......no.......never heard it.....OH YEAH!

Really nice and I knew knew where that aria was from.

m00
09-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Die Walküre all the way.

NJCardFan
10-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Never been to an opera but I've seen several on TV. Anything by Puccini you can't go wrong. La Boheme is my personal favorite.

lacarnut
10-01-2010, 02:55 AM
You said something?

She is just being her usual uppity crabby self. :D

Bailey
10-01-2010, 06:43 AM
She is just being her usual uppity crabby self. :D

I know she is so predictable, I know what she is going to type before she does.

BadCat
10-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Let's put it this way...I won't LISTEN to opera, but if this chick is singing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesmusic/katherine-jenkins-2009_03_446.jpg

I might WATCH it with the sound off.

NJCardFan
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Let's put it this way...I won't LISTEN to opera, but if this chick is singing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesmusic/katherine-jenkins-2009_03_446.jpg

I might WATCH it with the sound off.

You might want to watch with the sound on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPWGHibaus

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Never been to an opera but I've seen several on TV. Anything by Puccini you can't go wrong. La Boheme is my personal favorite.

Thanks. I've listened to soem exerpts on You Tube and like Puccini.

Wei Wu Wei
10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
not but i've seen oprah on television

Big Guy
10-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I love that Opry House too. It reopened today, didn't it? (After the flood.)

Sorry I'm so late responding but Yes it did. The Grand Ole Opry is back. Looking forward to going.

lacarnut
10-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry I'm so late responding but Yes it did. The Grand Ole Opry is back. Looking forward to going.

I will take the Opry over opera.

warpig
10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Does "Rocky Horror Picture Show" count..............:D

BadCat
10-02-2010, 03:43 PM
You might want to watch with the sound on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPWGHibaus

Did you see the pics of Tiger Woods eye banging that chick at the Ryder Cup opening?

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Does "Rocky Horror Picture Show" count..............:D

Did you dress up...? :D

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
not but i've seen oprah on television

Okay. That's funny. A little....:p

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Me too. I've never been. I love a lot of different kinds of music and grew up listening to country music.

My grandfather had this big old cabinet style radio with a wire antenae that he rigged up and at night it would pick up the Grand Ole Opry.

It also would pick up th eBBC and spanish language stuff.

Big Guy
10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Me too. I've never been. I love a lot of different kinds of music and grew up listening to country music.

My grandfather had this big old cabinet style radio with a wire antenae that he rigged up and at night it would pick up the Grand Ole Opry.

It also would pick up th eBBC and spanish language stuff.

Man it is great, I like the Ryman best but there aren't as many shows there as there used to be. Let me know when you decide to go, I'll show ya around Nashville.

Bubba Dawg
10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Man it is great, I like the Ryman best but there aren't as many shows there as there used to be. Let me know when you decide to go, I'll show ya around Nashville.

I will. I went through Nashville once on the way to Jackson Tennessee to work on an archaeology site for a couple of weeks.

I only saw it from the interstate but I remember it was pretty at night.

I think I remember driving by the stadium where the Titans play.

Thanks, Noble Mon.

BadCat
10-02-2010, 07:54 PM

We'll be in Nashville again soon I hope.

We stay up by the current Opry, but we'd love to see a show at the Ryman.

Big Guy
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
We'll be in Nashville again soon I hope.

We stay up by the current Opry, but we'd love to see a show at the Ryman.

Let me know when you get here, I'll show you around.

Kay
10-02-2010, 10:09 PM

*snort*

Does Phantom of the Opera count? I doned my best flowing robes and attended
a live performace of Phantom by the original broadway cast at the fine arts
theater on campus at UT Austin a few years ago. We sat up in the balcony.
It was great. Not really my kind of music, but we enjoyed getting gussied
up for an evening out of refinement.

RobJohnson
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I will take the Opry over opera.

I would love to see the Opry, even if it was just from the outside.