PDA

View Full Version : Companies teaching employees open-plan office etiquette

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Companies teaching employees open-plan office etiquette

* By Georgie Pilcher
* November 26, 2009 12:01AM

EVERY office has one, the loud, untidy iPod-wearing worker driving colleagues mad.

Now companies are teaching their workers open-plan etiquette as psychologists agree the modern office design is leading to distraction.

Organisational psychologist Dr Darryl Cross said workers were reporting major gripes with the open-plan layout and warned big corporations of a lack of productivity, the Herald Sun reports.

"People can't feel free, open and relaxed. If they have to watch who is around and watch their calls then clearly they are not going to feel good," Dr Cross said.

He said the open-plan office was born because it was cheap - not to benefit workers - and there was no doubt the system led to low morale.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

"When you have a distraction it takes you 50 per cent more time to get back to it," he said. "They can't work in such an environment."

But the National Australia Bank, which used a US expert to help design and build its open-plan offices at Docklands, said it was taking the concept further. Workers shared desks and all partitions were removed.

We did this. It was called the "Secretarial Pool". The only way they could make it work back then was to eliminate personal phone calls, forbid desk decorations, and impose a draconian list of rules. Women hated it.

Why would white collar workers like it now? :confused:

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/business-smarts/companies-teaching-employees-open-plan-office-etiquette/story-e6frfm9r-1225803974204#ixzz10s5UNWJa

Big Guy
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Rule # 1;

No Farting in another person's cubicle.

Rule # 2;

If you Fart in another person's cubicle, blame it on the person in the next cubicle.
:D

Bubba Dawg
09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Rule # 1;

No Farting in another person's cubicle.

Rule # 2;

If you Fart in another person's cubicle, blame it on the person in the next cubicle.
:D

Rule # 3. I have a fart wrench. A small personal fan (hand held) to blow my farts under the side of my cubicle into the cubicle next to me.

FeebMaster
09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
I know of some geniuses who thought this would be a good idea in a call center.