PDA

View Full Version : Gay on Gay Homophobia Flap. Or Something.

Gingersnap
09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Michelin-starred restaurant in 'nipple tweak' controversy

Christine Kellett
September 28, 2010 - 12:15PM

One of London's most prestigious restaurants has found itself at the centre of a homophobic sexual harassment case after a gay waiter claimed he had his nipples tweaked by a customer.

Vincent Ma has complained of workplace discrimination at the Michelin-starred Chinese dim sum teahouse Yauatcha, in London's trendy Soho, claiming he was subjected to homophobic abuse by staff and customers, Britain's Independent has reported.

Ma, 31, has taken legal action against the restaurant, which he also accuses of failing to provide appropriate breaks to accommodate his diabetes.

He says he became the target of inappropriate jokes when other staff discovered he was gay. He lost weight due to work stress, improving his physical appearance and causing the harassment to escalate, he claims in papers lodged with a UK employment tribunal.

"I was losing weight and, due to the tightness of the company uniform, a black T-shirt, my body figure was being shown," said Ma, who quit the restaurant in May.

"On one occasion, my nipples were popped out due to low temperature and one manager said to me it was sexy.

"My loss of weight leads me to look attractive, but it brought me trouble."

On one occasion, he claimed his nipples were tweaked by a gay customer and when he complained to a duty manager about the incident, the manager allegedly asked him: "Do you like it?"

Not sure about this. He was fat and lost weight but his uniform didn't become looser? He's accusing the restaurant, not the customer, of homophobia (homophilia?)? If his nips were an issue, why didn't he tape them the way women in similar situations do? It's difficult to believe this happened only once.

Don't gay men learn the usual deflection techniques that all women learn? :confused:

SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/michelinstarred-restaurant-in-nipple-tweak-controversy-20100928-15uxq.html)