PDA

View Full Version : Who will be VP Choices?

patsfan
08-19-2008, 09:14 AM
With the DNC a week away, the choice for VP will be made in the next several days. Who do you think the choices will be?

My guess: Obama chooses Joe Biden. McCain chooses Romney. Hillary chooses herself or Bill.

Sonnabend
08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
If McCain picks Romney, Obama is finished.

Eyelids
08-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Quite the opposite... 30% of the country wont vote for a Mormon, and that 30% are almost all Christians who make up a substantial portion of the GOP's base. McCain cant pick Romney, his campaign is a bungling mess but they aren't that stupid.

linda22003
08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
The #2 pick has never changed my vote for or against the candidate at the top of the ticket.

Sonnabend
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Quite the opposite... 30% of the country wont vote for a Mormon, and that 30% are almost all Christians who make up a substantial portion of the GOP's base.

Don't be so sure. Romney had a hell of a backing, and his campaign was sundered because of McCain and Obama steamrolling him.As VP on the ticket he would be a tremendous asset. I think you underestimate the US voter's intelligence.

McCain cant pick Romney, his campaign is a bungling mess but they aren't that stupid.

McCain will wipe the floor with the ObaMessiah™. Romney will add a strong backing to his campaign, and will appeal to a lot of grassroots voters.

LogansPapa
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
If Obama picks Powell, we're finished.

patsfan
08-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Let's hope he does. But yesterday he said that Tom Ridge would be a fine running mate. And Ridge's pro-choice stance won't work with the conservatives who are finally coming around to support McCain.

linda22003
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Let's hope he does. But yesterday he said that Tom Ridge would be a fine running mate. And Ridge's pro-choice stance won't work with the conservatives who are finally coming around to support McCain.

The #2's stance on social issues prevails?

LogansPapa
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
But yesterday he said that Tom Ridge would be a fine running mate.

John likes Tom because he’s a from the gut’ kind of decision maker, but considering that Tom’s best remembered for his ideas on Homeland Security via "duct tape and plastic" - McCain might not want to open his campaign up to give-away ridicule fodder.

Eyelids
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Don't be so sure. Romney had a hell of a backing, and his campaign was sundered because of McCain and Obama steamrolling him.As VP on the ticket he would be a tremendous asset. I think you underestimate the US voter's intelligence.
As somebody who lives around and with Americans pretty much constantly I have to say you telling me my opinion on Americans is wrong and yours is right is slightly comical. We are a country full of stupid people that drift both right and left and come from all racial and ethnic backgrounds. In America stupid doesn't discriminate.

Sure Romney had a hell of a backing, but so did everybody who lasted as long he did. Mike Huckabee crushed Romney in southern states and Ron Paul had a solid 10% that would follow him to the death. Mitt's supporters were lukewarm and mostly NeoCons who simply drifted to McCain anyways.

aerojarod
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Chosing Romney would, I think, be the final push it would take for the Conservatives to come out of the woodwork and actively start supporting McCain.

While "The Mormon Issue" might have come up in discussion during the primary when Mitt was running for the #1 Spot- the Republican & Conservative base is so blase about McCain that Romney actually would actually fire them up and get them to the polls.

If McCain-Romney strategize well, McCain should bow out after one term and let Romney take the nod for 2012. With a four year long "get to know you" period, any lingering doubts Evangellicals and others have about Romney would hopefully be put to rest.

Toss in a dynamic young VP for the Romney Presidency; like Bobby Jindal for example (throw out some other ideas)... we could set ourselves up for Conservative dynasty.

I might be a little too optimisitic... but I think McCain is a stepping stone we have to suffer to make up for 8 years of Bush.

GrumpyOldLady
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
If McCain picks Tom Ridge I'll hurl.

I don't think that McCain picking Romney will be a problem. All the conservative Christians in this country have to do is take on look at Obama and they should be voting for just about ANYONE other than him.

LogansPapa
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
If McCain picks Tom Ridge I'll hurl.

I don't know why........

Security Chief Tom Ridge: "We never want to turn Iraq back over to the Iraqis because we want their oil, Chris (Wallace). Is that plain enough for you?"

Sonnabend
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
As somebody who lives around and with Americans pretty much constantly I have to say you telling me my opinion on Americans is wrong and yours is right is slightly comical. Says the frothing at the mouth, idiotic liberal who has been pwned on this board so often it's becoming a national pastime.

We are a country full of stupid people that drift both right and left and come from all racial and ethnic backgrounds. In America stupid doesn't discriminate...and this is why Democrats will lose this election.

Lesson one, Eyecysts, underestimating the American voter is what cost Kerry his career, is what is scaring the shit out of the House Dems over drilling and what will, in all likelihood, bury Barry Soetero's career forever.

I find it....pathetic..that I have more faith in the American people than someone who actually lives there.

Sure Romney had a hell of a backing, but so did everybody who lasted as long he did. You werent paying attention beyond fellating the ObaMessiah. There is a much greater scope here than you imagine, and Tax Hike Mike has little to offer. In every politicoblog I work with (and I go to quite a few) they all said the same thing...they'd dump Huckabee in a moment, but Romney was one of the better choices.

McCain, in picking Romney, will have a veep with solid backing, a man who can deliver at least two key states ( Utah for one, Texas another, I know a lot of Texans and they liked Romney..a solid candidate) Romney also had a solid following in Florida, another key state. Given the changed dynamic and the fact this isnt the primaries..and the game aint even started yet.

I think you've just underestimated a serious contender.

Mike Huckabee crushed Romney in southern states ..and he is now finished

and Ron Paul had a solid 10% that would follow him to the deathDr Snatchpeeper's following is dead and so is his campaign. Given the alternative between McCain / Romney and a closet Muslim with a questionable background, no governmental experience or accomplishments and not one day in uniform (pissing off the military was a bad move, Barry old boy).....and it's McCain.

Mitt's supporters were lukewarm and mostly NeoCons who simply drifted to McCain anyways.The contempt just drips from those hands of yours, doesnt it? I repeat my offer, I'll emigrate to the US, and in turn we ship Eyelids to Australia.

Any takers?

YupItsMe
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
it's McCain.

The contempt just drips from those hands of yours, doesnt it? I repeat my offer, I'll emigrate to the US, and in turn we ship Eyelids to Australia.
Any takers?

You know, if you become an American, the Europeans won't like you as much. It bothers me every day. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Eyelids
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
How many Americans have you met Sonnabend? Better yet, how many states have you visited? What's your favorite American city? Are the drivers better in Chicago or NYC? Do you like midwestern accents or northeastern accents? Can you tell the difference between somebody from Californa and soembody from Texas? Oh and Sonnabend real quick, what are the first three digits of your American social security number?

Stick to what you understand, little man.

LogansPapa
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

:eek: D'oh!

OwlMBA
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Is Farrakhan an option?

Molon Labe
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Yes..that would be very bad.

I think Obama might pick Tim Kaine.

Eyelids
08-19-2008, 05:39 PM
As much as I would love Colin Powell as VP I dont think it'll happen.

Molon Labe
08-19-2008, 05:46 PM
As much as I would love Colin Powell as VP I dont think it'll happen.

Don't get too excited. My take on Powell is his endorsement of Obama is less an endorsement of Obama's vision....whatever the hell tht may be.....and more a snub at the fact he was shit on by the Bush administration. There is no way a man of Powell's integrity and character will support the one's that duped him. McCain stands for all that was wrong with the last 8 years. Obama just stands for what is wrong with mindless sheeple Americans that watch too much reality TV.

You're right that it isn't likely he will be VP.

LogansPapa
08-19-2008, 05:51 PM
My take on Powell is his endorsement of Obama is less an endorsement of Obama's vision....whatever the hell that may be.....and more a snub at the fact he was shit on by the Bush administration. There is no way a man of Powell's integrity and character will support the one's that duped him.

(dude) ;)

Lager
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking Biden, for Obama as well. Earlier I thought he might pick the female govenor of Kansas, to somehow appease females who haven't gotten over Hillary, but that seems like going out on a limb a little too far, right now. Biden is a good choice for him.

I don't really have a hunch who McCain may surprise us with.

Eyelids
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
How many Americans have you met Sonnabend? Better yet, how many states have you visited? What's your favorite American city? Are the drivers better in Chicago or NYC? Do you like midwestern accents or northeastern accents? Can you tell the difference between somebody from Californa and soembody from Texas? Oh and Sonnabend real quick, what are the first three digits of your American social security number?

Predictably this has been completely ignored by Sonnabend.

GenYConservative
08-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Eyeturds, who gives a flying fuck where Sonnabend is from? They obviously have more normal brain function than you. Once again you are proving what a total fucking douche canoe you are. I know its a foreign concept to you, since you're stuck in the basement of your parent's house sitting around in your underwear and haven't seen the outside world since your parents upgraded to 56k, but maybe Sonnabend doesn't sit around the keyboard at all hours of the day just to repond to you? By the way, Captain Genius, you failed at Geography because you apparently aren't aware that Australia is in a slightly different time zone than the US. Its not even the same DAY there!

GenYConservative
08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, and on topic, I hope that McCain does NOT pick Romney, the Mor(m)on issue is something I don't believe I can accept. I would be fine with either the MN guy or the Louisiana Gov., they both would be great candidates IMO.

And I hope Obama picks our lovely AZ Governor Napolitano, because we can get SOOOO much crap on her that it will doom ObaMessiah. And it gets that bitch out of the control of our state.

Goldwater
08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Romney got some hype as the "last guy" who could stand up to McCain, but that was such hyperbole even Huckabee crushed him. I don't see what is conservative about him anyway, his old or new views. ;)

Sonnabend
08-20-2008, 04:55 AM
By the way, Captain Genius, you failed at Geography because you apparently aren't aware that Australia is in a slightly different time zone than the US. Its not even the same DAY there!Correct. If little Eyeliner over there had used the site I had provided him earlier, he'd know that I am GMT plus ten hrs.

As it is now 0439am in New York, 0339 Texas ( CDT, not Mountain time) and 0140 in Nevada, I will write this post and NOT skite about "you ignoring it", because I have enough brains to know that you are more than likely asleep.

Time zones. Use them. Learn from them. They help you not make a complete ass of yourself.

If such a thing is possible.

How many Americans have you met Sonnabend? Over the last eight years or so? Hundreds from every state and then some.

Better yet, how many states have you visited? Hawaii so far, loved it, the people gentle and kind,the beaches haunting and glorious. and the diving is to be seen to be believed. Went for a dive off Oahu, went for another one near the main city of Honolulu, dove a wreck on the northern part of the island.

Walked Kuhio Boulevarde and shopped, Waldenbooks has a great selection..and a virgin chi chi to go. Wonderful.

What's your favorite American city? I'd have to say either Seattle, or Las Vegas. Or Washington. Plan on visiting soon and seeing the WH, take a tour and go look at Abrahams statue..or the Washington Monument..and go pay my respects to the honoured ones at Arlington.

Pilot Officer Milne is buried there,after he died with a US air crew, the only Australian to be given that honour.

Are the drivers better in Chicago or NYC? Depends on whether or not they are headed uptown.

Do you like midwestern accents or northeastern accents?

I love Sobe and SR's accents the most, that Missouri twang is endearing. My Texan friend has a British accent (long story), the other is from Connecticut, and man does he have a deep drawl...I could listen to him all day.

Saracen is from Ohio..just don't ask him to sing after he's had a few.Armoured Scorpion is from the Bronx...he LOVES doing Cagney.We talk almost every week.

Can you tell the difference between somebody from Californa and soembody from Texas?Yes I can.

Oh and Sonnabend real quick, what are the first three digits of your American social security number?007.

Ask a stupid question.....

Stick to what you understand, little man.Apparently, I understand the words "job" and life" far better than you ever will. Both kept me busy whilst you were having your little tantrums.

You're a sad person.

GrumpyOldLady
08-20-2008, 07:08 AM
the Mor(m)on issue is something I don't believe I can accept. .

Why not? What about the way he worships God makes him ill equiped to be Vice President?
I'm not being a butt-head, I'm sincerely asking. I just don't see a problem.

GrumpyOldLady
08-20-2008, 07:11 AM
IN MY OPINION - Powell is backing Obama for the same reasons that all the other 93% of black people are backing Obama. Because he's black. Their loyalty is ' skin deep'. Couple that with the fact that Bush43 made Powell go in front of the UN and state that there were Iraqi WMD, when Powell didn't want to, and you have a recipe for Powell jumping ship and supporting Obama - no matter what crap Obama stands for.

Sonnabend
08-20-2008, 07:19 AM
GrumpyOldLady: Welcome to CU, ma'am, I was away when your hiya thread came up, so I missed it.

I'm Sonnabend, call me Sonna if you like. Just don't call me late for dinner. :D:D

GrumpyOldLady
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi Sonna. Thanks for the welcome. I think my welcome thread is still running.
I said a little about myself in it. You all have fair warning about me now! :)

Eyelids
08-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Correct. If little Eyeliner over there had used the site I had provided him earlier, he'd know that I am GMT plus ten hrs.

As it is now 0439am in New York, 0339 Texas ( CDT, not Mountain time) and 0140 in Nevada, I will write this post and NOT skite about "you ignoring it", because I have enough brains to know that you are more than likely asleep.
You made a post in a different thread after I made this one.

lots of unfunny Sonnabend crap.

You're a sad person.

If I understand you correctly, you've never visited the continental United States? (I dont think you know what that means, its the 48 oldest states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii).

Sonnabend
08-20-2008, 04:54 PM
If I understand you correctly, you've never visited the continental United States? (I dont think you know what that means, its the 48 oldest states, excluding Alaska and Hawaii)

No, your question was and I quote

Better yet, how many states have you visited?

And I replied "Hawaii". Hawaii is a state of the United States,is it not? therefore I answered your question.

I dont think you know what that means

I understand a great deal. I can read maps and I can check time zones.

Your turn.

If I was to go 1000 miles west of Meekatharra, where would I be?

Eyelids
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
This is awesome as you are proving my point for me.

I dont know much about Australia, I dont live there. You dont know much about America, you dont live here. In fact you've never seen our mainland with your own eyes. You've been to Hawaii, which is pretty much a glorified colony.

GenYConservative
08-20-2008, 08:13 PM

I dont know much about Australia, I dont live there. You dont know much about America, you dont live here. In fact you've never seen our mainland with your own eyes. You've been to Hawaii, which is pretty much a glorified colony.

You're just a few french fries short of a Happy Meal, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Elspeth
08-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Hawaii so far, loved it, the people gentle and kind,the beaches haunting and glorious. and the diving is to be seen to be believed. Went for a dive off Oahu, went for another one near the main city of Honolulu, dove a wreck on the northern part of the island.

Walked Kuhio Boulevarde and shopped, Waldenbooks has a great selection..and a virgin chi chi to go. Wonderful.

Congratulations on knowing so much about the Democratic nominee's home state, Sonnabend. I have never been there, so you are one up on me. :)

Goldwater
08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Hawaii so far, loved it, the people gentle and kind,the beaches haunting and glorious. and the diving is to be seen to be believed. Went for a dive off Oahu, went for another one near the main city of Honolulu, dove a wreck on the northern part of the island.

The hell are you doing on a computer? Go out and stay out until you can't stays out no more.

Sonnabend
08-21-2008, 04:30 AM

I don't know much about Australia, I dont live there

This is...news? You know little about anything, or anywhere, including your home country, whereas I know lots about both. One of us is better educated.

Guess which one I am.

You dont know much about America, you dont live here

Just because I don't live somewhere, does not logically, or necessarily, mean I don't know anything about it. Res, in this case, is definitely not ipsa loquitur.

You'd be more non compos mentis, IMO.

In fact you've never seen our mainland with your own eyes.

...so? This is important...why? I haven't seen the rings of Saturn up close either.

Your point is?

You've been to Hawaii, which is pretty much a glorified colony.

So now you are telling me Hawaii ISN'T a state? Whooee..someone tell the Legislature and Congress.

Sonnabend
08-21-2008, 04:31 AM
The hell are you doing on a computer? Go out and stay out until you can't stays out no more.

Working week, mate, fun times are for the weekend.

LibraryLady
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Have you looked at Powell's doantions?

POWELL, COLIN L. THE HON.
MCLEAN , VA 22101
SELF-EMPLOYED/SPEAKER MCCAIN, JOHN S. (R)
President
JOHN MCCAIN 2008 INC. $2,300

Powell, Colin
Mc Lean , VA 22101
retired/Retired
REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP COUNCIL FEDERAL PAC $1,000

POWELL, COLIN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
AMERICAS PROMISE/CHAIRMAN ALLEN, GEORGE (R)
Senate - VA
FRIENDS OF GEORGE ALLEN $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L
MC LEAN, VA 22101
SELF EMPLOYED/ATTORNEY
NATIONAL REPUBLICAN SENATORIAL COMMITTEE (R) $1,500

Powell, Colin
McLean, VA 22101
Self Employed/Consultant WILSON, HEATHER A (R)
Senate - NM
HEATHER WILSON FOR SENATE $500

Powell, Colin
Mc Lean, VA 22101
retired/Retired
REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP COUNCIL FEDERAL PAC $1,000

Powell, Colin
Alexandria, VA 22314
U.S. Department of State/General MCFARLAND, KATHLEEN TROIA (R)
House (NY 01)
K T MCFARLAND FOR CONGRESS $1,000

POWELL, COLIN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE ALLEN, GEORGE (R)
Senate - VA

POWELL, COLIN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
RETIRED ROGAN, JAMES E (R)
House (CA 27)
ROGAN FOR CONGRESS COMMITTEE $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
LECTURER LAZIO, RICK A (R)
Senate - NY
LAZIO 2000 INC $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
CONSULTANT MATTINGLY, MACK F (R)
Senate - GA
MATTINGLY FOR SENATE INC $500

POWELL, COLIN L.
MCLEAN, VA 22101 CARROLL, JENNIFER SANDRA (R)
House (FL 03)
FRIENDS OF JENNIFER CARROLL $1,000

POWELL, COLIN GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
RETIRED DAVIS, THOMAS M III (R)
House (VA 11)
TOM DAVIS FOR CONGRESS $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE
REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE (R) $5,000

POWELL, COLIN L GEN
MC LEAN, VA 22101
RETIRED GLENN, DYLAN C (R)
House (GA 08)
FRIENDS OF DYLAN GLENN $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE
REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE (R) $415

POWELL, COLIN
MC LEAN, VA 22101
US GOVERNMENT GIULIANI, RUDOLPH W (R)
Senate - NY
FRIENDS OF GIULIANI EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE

POWELL, COLIN GENERAL
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22314
SELF-EMPLOYED ALLEN, GEORGE (R)
Senate - VA

POWELL, COLIN L GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
INVESTOR BUSH, GEORGE W (R)
President
BUSH FOR PRESIDENT INC. $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
PUBLIC SPEAKER MCCAIN, JOHN S. (R)
President
MCCAIN 2000 INC $1,000

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE

POWELL, COLIN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
RETIRED
AMERICAN SUCCESS POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $1,000

POWELL, COLIN
MC LEAN, VA 22101
SELF-EMPLOYED HELMKE, PAUL (R)
Senate - IN
PAUL HELMKE FOR SENATE $500

POWELL, COLIN L GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
RETIRED WATTS, JULIUS CEASER JR (JC) (R)
House (OK 04)
WATTS FOR CONGRESS $500

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MCLEAN, VA 22101
AMERICA'S PROMISE
REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE (R) $250

POWELL, COLIN L GENERAL
MCLEAN, VA 22101
SELF-EMPLOYED
NATIONAL REPUBLICAN SENATORIAL COMMITTEE (R) $250

POWELL, COLIN L GEN RET
MCLEAN, VA 22101
LECTURER MCCAIN, JOHN S (R)
Senate - AZ
MCCAIN FOR SENATE '98 $1,000

POWELL, COLIN GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
SELF-EMPLOYED THOMPSON, RITA S J (R)
House (VA 08)
RITA THOMPSON FOR CONGRESS $500

POWELL, COLIN GEN
MCLEAN, VA 22101
CONSULTANT
WILSON, HEATHER A (R)
Senate - NM
HEATHER WILSON FOR SENATE $1,000

POWELL, COLIN GENERAL
MC LEAN, VA 22101
SELF EMPLOYED
NATIONAL REPUBLICAN SENATORIAL COMMITTEE (R) $1,000
primary

GrumpyOldLady
08-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Liberty Lady - that's a very interesting list. Thanks for posting it! It's educational.