PDA

View Full Version : How To Hide Your Face From Big Brother? Try Sunglasses

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Sep. 27 2010 - 9:55 am |
How To Hide Your Face From Big Brother? Try Sunglasses
By ANDY GREENBERG

Four obscuring techniques that defeated facial recognition software.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eyarlt.png

Donít like the idea of a government or corporation tracking your mug around the Web or the real world? Alex Kilpatrick offers a few tips to foil facial recognition software used by those who would monitor your whereabouts: Donít bother growing a beard, or wearing a hat. Instead, invest in a pair of oversize Gucci knockoffs.

In a presentation he plans to make at the IgniteNYC event that kicks off the Web 2.0 New York conference, Kilpatrick will give a talk on defeating the technological tools of the modernĖor futureĖ surveillance state.

ďOutside of a warrant, I donít want to be tracked, whether itís a government or a store,Ē he says.ĒSo I think you have a moral obligation to mess with these surveillance techniques short of breaking the law.Ē

Kilpatrick knows something about the growing power of technology to track individuals. Heís sold facial recognition software to the military for security purposes and founded Tactical Information Systems, a startup that hosts a cloud-based biometric platform. Heís also currently working on WanderID, a program that can help law enforcement or hospitals identify lost Alzheimers or other mentally-disabled patients who canít identify themselves.

But like any good privacy paranoiac, Kilpatrick can easily imagine how the face-tracking software he sells can be used for less benevolent purposes. So for his Ignite NYC talk, he performed a series of experiments to find just what sorts of obscuring techniques can defeat a common facial recognition algorithm known as Eigenfaces, testing an off-the-shelf implementation of that algorithm in a program called Neurotechnology.

The results, he says, offer some simple lessons in the modern art of disguise: Avoid symmetry, and focus on obscuring the area around your eyes.

More at the link. Defeat Big Brother now with knock-offs!

Forbes (http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/09/27/how-to-hide-your-face-from-big-brother-try-sunglasses/)

linda22003
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
"Who's That Behind Those Foster Grants?"

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess the Ashley twins are pretty much off the grid permanently. :D

linda22003
09-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I admit I'm old. Who are the Ashley twins?

FlaGator
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Hb-zQljE0

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I guess the Ashley twins are pretty much off the grid permanently. :D

Whoops! I meant Olsen twins. They're so sickly-looking that 'ashen' somehow got conflated there. :D

Bailey
09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I admit I'm old. Who are the Ashley twins?

No need to admit it, we knew.

linda22003
09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Whoops! I meant Olsen twins. They're so sickly-looking that 'ashen' somehow got conflated there. :D

Okay, that makes sense. The anorexia twins.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0905/warning-warning-eggs-courtney-love-twins-donates-olsen-demotivational-poster-1242723498.jpg

"Warning: This is what happens when Courtney Love donates eggs."

Articulate_Ape
09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey, all you have to do is this: If you wear eyeglasses normally, wear contacts in public or vice versa; if you don't wear glasses were fake ones in public. Face it, no one has a clue that Clark Kent is Superman as long as he wears glasses. If it works for Superman, it has to be effective, right?

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey, all you have to do is this: If you wear eyeglasses normally, wear contacts in public or vice versa; if you don't wear glasses were fake ones in public. Face it, no one has a clue that Clark Kent is Superman as long as he wears glasses. If it works for Superman, it has to be effective, right?

Cutting edge camouflage - in 1953. :p

Articulate_Ape
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Cutting edge camouflage - in 1953. :p

I've never claimed to be edgy.