PDA

View Full Version : Time Likely To End Within Earth's Lifespan, Say Physicists

bijou
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
There is a 50 per cent chance that time will end within the next 3.7 billion years, according to a new model of the universe

Look out into space and the signs are plain to see. The universe began in a Big Bang event some 13 billion years ago and has been expanding ever since. And the best evidence from the distance reaches of the cosmos is that this expansion is accelerating.

That has an important but unavoidable consequence: it means the universe will expand forever. And a universe that expands forever is infinite and eternal.

Today, a group of physicists rebel against this idea. They say an infinitely expanding universe cannot be so because the laws of physics do not work in an infinite cosmos. For these laws to make any sense, the universe must end, say Raphael Bousso at the University of California, Berkeley and few pals. And they have calculated when that is most likely to happen. ...OMG:eek::eek::D (http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25807/)

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
But Buosso and co have some comforting news too. They don't know what kind of catastrophe will cause the end of time but they do say that we won't see it coming. They point out that if we were to observe the end of time in any other part of the universe we would have to be causally ahead of it, which is unlikely.

In other words we'll run headlong into this catastrophe before we can observe its effects on anything else.

Where else have I read this? Thinking........ :D

marv
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Bullshit!

Time isn't a "thing". It's only a metric like feet, kilometers, gallons or lightyears. It ain't gonna end!

Articulate_Ape
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Bullshit!

Time isn't a "thing". It's only a metric like feet, kilometers, gallons or lightyears. It ain't gonna end!

If you ignore physics, you're right.

FlaGator
09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
My watch stopped. Does that count?

Articulate_Ape
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
My watch stopped. Does that count?

Yes. You've killed us all! Thanks a lot, FlaGator. :mad:

FlaGator
09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Bullshit!

Time is a dimension of the universe. Without the universe, time does not exist.

Ask yourself a question. What exactly is time?

FlaGator
09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Yes. You've killed us all! Thanks a lot, FlaGator. :mad:

Don't blame me, blame Citizen, makes of my Eco-Drive watch

Bailey
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Well evil never dies so maybe Lindanumbers will be around to see time end. :p:D

marv
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Bullshit!

If you ignore physics, you're right.
So just what are the physical properties of time are? Say, what are the physical properties of hour?

FlaGator
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
So just what are the physical properties of time are? Say, what are the physical properties of hour?

What are the physical properties of potential energy? This is another concept that is tied to the existence of the universe. So is Gravity.

Articulate_Ape
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM

An hour is merely a measurement by which humans divide up a day (e.g. one full rotation of the Earth). Likewise, a year is merely a measurement constructed by humans to define a full circuit of the Earth around our Sun. Space and time (aka space/time) is actually a fabric that can be affected by the force of gravity. It is this premise that is the basis for Einstein's theory of general relativity, and has been borne out by the observation of star light being bent around our Sun due to its density.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfv2AiVfnWA

AmPat
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
So just what are the physical properties of time are? Say, what are the physical properties of hour?Big hand, little hand, and second hand?:confused:

AmPat
10-01-2010, 10:20 AM
An hour is merely a measurement by which humans divide up a day (e.g. one full rotation of the Earth).

I divide it into ninths: ie. Before breakfast, breakfast, after breakfast, before lunch,,,,,,,,,,,...

Dan D. Doty
10-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Is this just our Universe, or are alternate Universes dying as well?

gator
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Time is a dimension of the universe. Without the universe, time does not exist.

Ask yourself a question. What exactly is time?

Your question goes beyond being profound.

Your question presents a paradox to the secular scientist that keeps them awake at night.

You and I believe that the time serves the will of the Lord and we are comfortable with that. We know that things will exist as the Lord wants them to exist. It can be infinite or maybe it is not.

The secularists on the other hand have no faith so therefore they must define time. They must tell us how it works and how it came into existence and what was there before the existence and where it is going. They must solve all the problems with time and wrap it up in a nice neat box will all the answers. That is one hellva burden, isn’t it?

In the meantime the secularists will come up with all kinds of silly little theories like how long will time last and things like that. To listen to these theories is a hoot sometimes.

I will believe in the Lord. Other people can believe that the universe created itself all they want and they can rack their brains trying to figure how that happen when it goes against logic, the Laws of Physics and science as we know it.

obx
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks. I was wondering why my watch had stopped.
________
Hero honda history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Hero_Honda)

Rockntractor
10-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks. I was wondering why my watch had stopped.

Only analog time will end, digital time will continue.

Wei Wu Wei
10-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Your question goes beyond being profound.

Your question presents a paradox to the secular scientist that keeps them awake at night.

You and I believe that the time serves the will of the Lord and we are comfortable with that. We know that things will exist as the Lord wants them to exist. It can be infinite or maybe it is not.

The secularists on the other hand have no faith so therefore they must define time. They must tell us how it works and how it came into existence and what was there before the existence and where it is going. They must solve all the problems with time and wrap it up in a nice neat box will all the answers. That is one hellva burden, isnít it?

In the meantime the secularists will come up with all kinds of silly little theories like how long will time last and things like that. To listen to these theories is a hoot sometimes.

I will believe in the Lord. Other people can believe that the universe created itself all they want and they can rack their brains trying to figure how that happen when it goes against logic, the Laws of Physics and science as we know it.

I think it is important for Atheists to drop their insistence upon a closed and complete material universe. We need to start thinking that it's possible both that there is only the material universe and also that it is incomplete in itself.

gator
10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it is important for Atheists to drop their insistence upon a closed and complete material universe. We need to start thinking that it's possible both that there is only the material universe and also that it is incomplete in itself.

The thing the silly little athesists have to worry about explaining is how the universe could create itself since that goes against the Laws of Physics, common sense and any observable science.

Either the universe was created by intelligent design or else it create itself. No other choices.

Kay
10-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I remember doing the time warp.
Drinking...those moments when....

8yR4Vz3omn8

marv
10-05-2010, 08:39 AM
The thing the silly little athesists have to worry about explaining is how the universe could create itself since that goes against the Laws of Physics, common sense and any observable science.

Either the universe was created by intelligent design or else it create itself. No other choices.
There is another choice.

What law of physics says that the Universe needed creating? 'Spose it's always existed.....

Even science is at a loss to explain how the Big Bang happened, so they keep inventing theories of what went on before and during a Big Bang "creation" happened. Theists can't explain what God (which one) was doing before he (or she, or it, or they) was doing before deciding to "create" something just for fun.

Why do we even need a creation of everything from nothing other than we enjoy mysteries and puzzles.

FlaGator
10-05-2010, 08:57 AM
There is another choice.

What law of physics says that the Universe needed creating? 'Spose it's always existed.....

Even science is at a loss to explain how the Big Bang happened, so they keep inventing theories of what went on before and during a Big Bang "creation" happened. Theists can't explain what God (which one) was doing before he (or she, or it, or they) was doing before deciding to "create" something just for fun.

Why do we even need a creation of everything from nothing other than we enjoy mysteries and puzzles.

There is zero evidence that the Universe is uncreated and eternal. Logically and mathematically a eternal universe is an impossibility for reasons explained in a previous post. Matter it self doesn't exist forever. The proton in an atom has an extremely long life span but eventually it will decay. The universe is a closed system. Matter is can not be added it can just change form or become energy. If they universe was eternal all matter would have become potential energy and the universe would consist of nothing.

If you know of a source that has positive evidence of an eternal universe, I would be interested in seeing it.

As for what was God doing before He created the universe, there was no when before the universe was created as we understand it. "When" is a constraint of the universe. God simply was. I know this is a hard concept to grasp but God exists outside of time. Everything is now to God. God is simultaineously creating the universe and listenting to each and every one of my prayers over the entire length of time I have been praying. He sees every moment of your life all at once.

marv
10-05-2010, 11:17 AM
There is zero evidence that the Universe is uncreated and eternal. Logically and mathematically a eternal universe is an impossibility for reasons explained in a previous post.Where is the "logic" that the Universe cannot be eternal in space and time? Where in mathmatics is it taught that "infinite" cannot be a concept.

Matter it self doesn't exist forever. The proton in an atom has an extremely long life span but eventually it will decay. The universe is a closed system. Matter is can not be added it can just change form or become energy. If they universe was eternal all matter would have become potential energy and the universe would consist of nothing.Matter and energy are interchanged all the time - in stars and nuclear reactions, aka bombs. That's been proven.

If you know of a source that has positive evidence of an eternal universe, I would be interested in seeing it....same argument applies to the gods.

As for what was God doing before He created the universe, there was no when before the universe was created as we understand it. "When" is a constraint of the universe. God simply was. I know this is a hard concept to grasp but God exists outside of time. Everything is now to God. God is simultaineously creating the universe and listenting to each and every one of my prayers over the entire length of time I have been praying. He sees every moment of your life all at once.You base all you say on faith, and call it proof evident. Faith is the acceptance of something without evidence and proof. But faith also reflects our hopes and dreams, and stems from what we are taught. And our hopes and dreams are as varied as the gods that are claimed.

I have no problem with religion because religions have done much good in this world - with some exceptions. I also have no problem of seeing the Universe, and every thing in it, as infinite in dimension and existence.

Matter? Energy? The constant interchange between matter and energy is a demonstrable fact that can be observed. Time? It's just a convenient metric of the difference between non-simultaneous events.

In my 70+ years, I've too often seen that the simplest and most straightforward answer is correct.