PDA

View Full Version : Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons

(Reuters) - The Danish editor whose 2005 publication of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad sparked violent protests around the globe released a book on Wednesday that reprints the pictures and warns of a "tyranny of silence."

Thursday marks the fifth anniversary of the publication of the 12 drawings in Jyllands-Posten which blew up the following year into a global "cartoon crisis." Dozens of people were killed in clashes, mainly in the Middle East.

Flemming Rose's book "The Tyranny of Silence" has fed worries of renewed unrest, as after the 2008 reprinting of the cartoons by many papers after a death threat to cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

Danish Foreign Minister Lene Espersen met 17 ambassadors from Muslim countries on Wednesday as part of efforts to prevent any new cartoon crisis and foster understanding.

"The violence was committed by people who made a decision to react to these cartoons in a specific way," saidRose, who has lived for years under police protection because of threats against him and his paper Jyllands-Posten.

"To publish cartoons, religious satire, in a Danish newspaper is not incitation to violence," he said.

Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-denmark-prophet-muhammad-cartoons,0,4983567.story)

This is an important anniversary in the battle to retain free speech.

FlaGator
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
This is likely to have the usually results.

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
This is likely to have the usually results.

You expect riots among Methodists? :D

jediab
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
You expect riots among Methodists? :D

Wow! Them Wicans are gonna be pissed!!!

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow! Them Wicans are gonna be pissed!!!

I wouldn't want to be in a Zoroastrian neighborhood tonight! :D

hampshirebrit
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons

Good for the publishers. I hope they produce a set of signed and numbered limited-edition prints and place them for sale on the open market. If they do, kindly form an orderly queue behind me to purchase them, as obviously I will want a low number on mine.

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Good for the publishers. I hope they produce a set of signed and numbered limited-edition prints and place them for sale on the open market. If they do, kindly form an orderly queue behind me to purchase them, as obviously I will want a low number on mine.

Save me a place on line, if you don't mind.

CueSi
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Save me a place on line, if you don't mind.

Ladies first? :D

~QC

m00
09-30-2010, 09:27 PM

I want them printed on plates, so I can eat porkchops off em.

jediab
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM

~QC

As long as you wear that bathing suit from your facebook pic, you can cut in front of me. :D

Bailey
10-01-2010, 09:43 AM
As long as you wear that bathing suit from your facebook pic, you can cut in front of me. :D

What facebook pic? :D

Odysseus
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM

~QC
After you...

Mohammed Cartoon commemorative plates would make a great giveaway for Jimmy Dean or some other pork producer. What are they going to do? Boycott their sausages? :D

AmPat
10-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Using an unholy koran as a charger.

Milly
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll wait till they're available on Amazon. Or maybe Kindle will have a down-load.