PDA

View Full Version : Acid attack woman pleads not guilty to stealing from $28,000 in donations given after

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Acid attack woman pleads not guilty to stealing from $28,000 in donations given after her hoax

By David Gardner
Last updated at 8:00 AM on 30th September 2010

Her face deep red and scarred from severe chemical burns, Bethany Storro appeared in court today accused of faking a story that acid was hurled into her face by a mystery attacker.

Miss Storro, 28, has reportedly confessed that her claims were a jaw-dropping hoax.

But she pleaded not guilty during the brief hearing this morning to stealing thousands of dollars from Good Samaritans who donated more than $28,000 after hearing about the bogus attack.
Bethany Storro

http://i56.tinypic.com/23ks1gw.jpg
Fraud charges: Miss Storro has admitted to making up her attack story, but has pleaded not guilty to claims she stole $20,000 in donations after her 'ordeal'

She could face up to five months behind bars if she is convicted.

It was the first time she had appeared in public with her face uncovered. She gave a press conference immediately after being injured with her head swathed in bandages. Today, the only bandage left was on her nose.

Her lawyer told Judge John Nichols that Miss Storro, who is partly deaf, would read his lips. She was remanded to appear for trial on December 20 and ordered not to leave the Portland, Oregon, area or contact the victims of her alleged theft, including a fitness club and Safeway supermarket.
Bethany Storro

She is accused of using some of the donated money to buy clothes, an computer, train tickets and taking her family out to expensive meals.

She also allegedly paid for a $620 chemical face peel.

Miss Storro checked into Elahan Place, a psychiatric facility, after confessing the truth and will remain there until her trial. She didn’t respond to questions from the media as she left Clark County Superior Courthouse.

Psychologist Michael Welner said he hoped Miss Storro would get help, adding: ‘She’s going to realise that she mutilated herself in a very severe way. The burden is powerful.

Miss Sorro was hailed a heroine after telling how an African-American stranger confronted her as she was going into a Starbucks in Vancouver, Washington.

She said the woman threw acid at her after saying: ‘Hey pretty girl, do you want to drink this?’

But police claim that, days later, she broke down and told them she made the whole thing up - and had poured the drain clogging chemicals on her own face after buying it from a DIY store.

Medical experts raised suspicion after revealing the injuries were not consistent with someone throwing the chemicals in her face.

She got a peel after a chemical burn? That might explain her current look. :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316396/Bethany-Storro-Acid-attack-hoax-woman-pleads-guilty-donations-theft.html#ixzz112asH1HP

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
She got a peel after a chemical burn? That might explain her current look. :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316396/Bethany-Storro-Acid-attack-hoax-woman-pleads-guilty-donations-theft.html#ixzz112asH1HP

Why would anyone do that to themself?

Phillygirl
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM

I thought that was odd as well. Who in good conscience would give her one after that? But clearly she is emotionally disturbed. It's sad.

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I expect she was trying to even out the color from the (by now) healed chemical burn but it's way too soon. I've had chemical burns and they will remain discolored for up 18 months before disappearing like nothing had happened (not a severe burn, obviously).

She's deranged, that's for sure. :(

Articulate_Ape
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
This is what I would refer to as the quintessential bad acid trip.

NJCardFan
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
This woman should be sent to prison for a very long time.

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 09:19 PM
This woman should be sent to prison for a very long time.

No, she's mentally damaged. No woman would disfigure her face even temporarily (6 months to 2 years) just to pull off a criminal hoax or con. She's got some seriously bad wiring that needs to be fixed.

She should absolutely make restitution and a public apology as well as being sentenced to mandatory psychiatric therapy but locking her up won't fix whatever prompted this.

It's a like a guy cutting up his 'love machine' to make a point. There's way more crazy going on there that meets the eye.

noonwitch
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
No, she's mentally damaged. No woman would disfigure her face even temporarily (6 months to 2 years) just to pull off a criminal hoax or con. She's got some seriously bad wiring that needs to be fixed.

She should absolutely make restitution and a public apology as well as being sentenced to mandatory psychiatric therapy but locking her up won't fix whatever prompted this.

It's a like a guy cutting up his 'love machine' to make a point. There's way more crazy going on there that meets the eye.

It's definitely more crazy than criminal. Locking her up in a mental hospital for some time is what is needed, along with the restitution and apology. If I had donated money to her, I'd forgive the restitution part if the public apology was sincere, but that's just me.

It's hard to figure out the whole self-harm thing. I've dealt with a lot of teens, mostly girls, who cut or otherwise injure themselves, but none of them have harmed their faces. Some of them do it in front of others so that they can get attention. Some of them do it privately because they have numbed themselves to the point that this is the only thing that they can feel.

FlaGator
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Why would anyone do that to themself?

Money.

Odysseus
10-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Money.
I don't know about that. I think that she wanted attention more than money.