PDA

View Full Version : Why Michelle Obama's Hair Matters

Gingersnap
09-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Why Michelle Obama's Hair Matters

By Jenee Desmond-Harris Monday, Sep. 07, 2009

When the First Lady attended a country-music event in July without a single strand of hair falling below her jawline, the blogosphere exploded with outbursts ranging from adoration to vitriol. Things settled down only when her deputy press secretary clarified that there had been no First Haircut. In the aftermath, a didactic post on MichelleObamaWatch.com proclaimed that anyone "familiar with the amazing versatility of black hair" would have known that the new summer look was simply "pinned up." (See pictures of Michelle Obama's hairstyles.)

Many Americans have dismissed this hair hubbub as simply more media-driven noise like the chatter about Michelle Obama's sleeveless dresses, J. Crew cardigans, stocking-free legs or, for that matter, recent (shocking!) decision to wear shorts in the Arizona heat. But for African-American women like me, hair is something else altogether singular in its capacity to command interest and carry cultural baggage. The obsession with Michelle's hair took hold long before Inaugural Ball gowns were imagined, private-school choices scrutinized or organic gardens harvested. It's not that she's done anything outrageous. The new updo wasn't really all that dramatic a departure from variations we've seen on her before (the "flip-out," the "flip-under," the long-ago abandoned "helmet"). Still, her hair is the catalyst for a conversation that begins with style but quickly transcends outward appearance and ultimately transcends Michelle herself a symbol for African-American women's status in terms of beauty, acceptance and power.

I thought this was interesting. I'm mystified by black hair issues. I have red, curly hair which is probably the least preferred white person hair to go by the images in print, movies, or TV. Aside from costume dramas, you will seldom see an image of a non-fake tanned, natural red head with freckles, let alone, curly hair.

Yet I've always loved my hair and never dyed it. I did straighten it once as a teen and I just was horrified. I also admire other natural red heads.

I see a lot of black hair because my building is in a campus where a number of black people work. I've seen a lot of styles I don't particularly understand and styles that look like a tremendous amount of work. To my unpracticed white eyes, natural black hair done up or cut in a short "afro" style look beautiful. I also think skilfully braided hair looks very sleek and elegant.

When my black secretary had an "issue" with her hair, she had to shave it off and start over and so she wore a wig. It was nice. When she finally unveiled her natural salt and pepper hair prior to a hair appointment, I thought it looked just great! But she didn't.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1919147,00.html#ixzz114inSQr4

CueSi
10-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Should I be saying something here?

I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I used to have shoulder length hair. Very long. Very much my pride and joy.

Then I dyed it. The dye was too strong, and it fell out.

There's not a lot of it left now. And it hurts not to have it. I lost more than just 3-4 inches, I lost a chunk of myself. Long hair marked me as different. As appealing, distinctive.I had a demographic that I had an appeal to, and losing my hair marked me as losing my appeal. I'm at a cross roads: do I give myself a quasi Halle Berry cut? Give myself dreadlocks, as my cousins have, or restart naturally and deal with that?

Ginger...for black women, hair is identity. It's one of those things that we don't talk about. . .it says so much about who a person is - - what they find important, and how they want to be seen. I have a couple wigs and I wear 'em alot at this point. They look great, but it doesn't feel RIGHT. She probably felt a little loss of identity and her self-perception, which is bound up in her hair(in part). It's a big deal because it's an extension of ourselves. Men worry about their c*cks; how they measure up, is it big enough, will it work the way they want it to. We worry about our hair.

~QC

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I thought this was interesting. I'm mystified by black hair issues. I have red, curly hair which is probably the least preferred white person hair to go by the images in print, movies, or TV. Aside from costume dramas, you will seldom see an image of a non-fake tanned, natural red head with freckles, let alone, curly hair.

Yet I've always loved my hair and never dyed it. I did straighten it once as a teen and I just was horrified. I also admire other natural red heads.

I see a lot of black hair because my building is in a campus where a number of black people work. I've seen a lot of styles I don't particularly understand and styles that look like a tremendous amount of work. To my unpracticed white eyes, natural black hair done up or cut in a short "afro" style look beautiful. I also think skilfully braided hair looks very sleek and elegant.

When my black secretary had an "issue" with her hair, she had to shave it off and start over and so she wore a wig. It was nice. When she finally unveiled her natural salt and pepper hair prior to a hair appointment, I thought it looked just great! But she didn't.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1919147,00.html#ixzz114inSQr4

Be proud of your red hair! Red hair and freckles are some of the loveliest features a woman could have in my opinion.
I myself have what appears to be black hair, but in the sunlight you can see auburn and strawberry blonde highlights throughout. My beard comes out half black and half strawberry blonde.

linda22003
10-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I've posted this picture before; this is the best I have ever seen her look, and she looks great here. It's pre White House; she's never put herself together this well as First Lady.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fhM-R45a44g/StSm3WvcsUI/AAAAAAAAEmQ/3A15sxSF_tU/s400/michelle+obama+narciso+rodriguez.jpg

Kay
10-01-2010, 08:38 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/kaycrawford/MichelleZEROClass.jpg?t=1285936673

noonwitch
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
My best friend from college, who is black, got a perm once that did to her hair what dye did to Cue Si's. She cut all her hair off and wore wigs for a while, and was very happy with the wigs. She could have long or short hair, depending on the weather and her mood. She's back to her natural hair, and she's not as happy as she was with the wigs.

I miss my red hair. It's thinned since I hit perimenopause, and the color has faded to strawberry blonde. I rinse it with henna on Saturdays, and the color holds until the next swim in the pool. The color had faded before I started swimming, though. My grandma used all those harsh chemical dyes to keep her hair red into her 80s, but she didn't have much hair to dye at that point. I would rather have a decent head of strawberry blonde hair than have only a few red hairs.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
1. it doesn't matter
2. red hair is super hot

Calypso Jones
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
there are a lot of red heads here. And I've encountered that situation on other boards. Why are there so many red headed women posters?:D

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
old school blaxploitation style lady-fro's are by far the coolest

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
there are a lot of red heads here. And I've encountered that situation on other boards. Why are there so many red headed women posters?:D

there's a very strong correlation between red hair and nerdiness

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/kaycrawford/MichelleZEROClass.jpg?t=1285936673

lol obama's head is turned in the same left/right relative direction as someone who has a butt

BOOM FUNNY PICTURE

ugh there's a way better picture for this way to make it even less funny

Rebel Yell
10-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I've posted this picture before; this is the best I have ever seen her look, and she looks great here. It's pre White House; she's never put herself together this well as First Lady.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fhM-R45a44g/StSm3WvcsUI/AAAAAAAAEmQ/3A15sxSF_tU/s400/michelle+obama+narciso+rodriguez.jpg

I loved her in Conan The Destroyer. She was pretty funny in Boomerang, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbci0FtybVM

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2r724x2.jpg

CueSi
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM

That can't be done by her regular stylist because her regular stylist SUCKS. Yeah, I said it... her stylist sucks and she needs a new one. But if she doesn't have one, she needs to GET ONE.

I have a question. For all of The FLOTUS' fashion incompetence . . . why all the stereotypes of her being unattractive and manly?Is it her arms. . .and well, when you talk about her behind, I hate to break it to you... in black, Latino, and Carribean culture, a little junk in the trunk is a GOOD thing. I really have been dying to know. Is it because is she is liberal, or is it because she is black?

I am asking because I observe that she is actually LESS aggressive than Hilary Clinton (she has stayed with her rather typical first lady causes and hasn't done anything radical/aggressive like 'HillaryCare') and Hilary never got it this bad. I know the stereotype of the unattractive and aggressive black woman is out there and believe me, I've been bitten by it and I have used it for my advantage.

I really would like an answer. . .If you don't have a reason, why do you do it?

~QC

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy63/Ardra_01/motivator31c5a3fe65896a6fc666d1fb0561b6ebe24183e1. jpg

CueSi
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy63/Ardra_01/motivator31c5a3fe65896a6fc666d1fb0561b6ebe24183e1. jpg

That's not an answer! I'm going to ask this question again:

why all the stereotypes of her being unattractive and manly?Is it her arms. . .and well, when you talk about her behind, I hate to break it to you... in black, Latino, and Carribean culture, a little junk in the trunk is a GOOD thing. I really have been dying to know. Is it because is she is liberal, or is it because she is black?

I am asking because I observe that she is actually LESS aggressive than Hilary Clinton (she has stayed with her rather typical first lady causes and hasn't done anything radical/aggressive like 'HillaryCare') and Hilary never got it this bad. I know the stereotype of the unattractive and aggressive black woman is out there and believe me, I've been bitten by it and I have used it for my advantage.

~QC

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
why all the stereotypes of her being unattractive and manlyBecause she is ugly. Nothing less.

It isnt a sterotype...it's a fact. As a man, what I see is ugly and unattractive. Ugly eyes, ugly demeanour, ugly attitude. Little miss entitlement personified. Who she is , is reflected in what she wears and how she looks.

Michelle reminds me of a woman I knew once...drop dead gorgeous, tall, lissome, magnificent.

And a soul as black as night.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Because she is ugly. Nothing less.

It isnt a sterotype...it's a fact. As a man, what I see is ugly and unattractive. Ugly eyes, ugly demeanour, ugly attitude. Little miss entitlement personified. Who she is , is reflected in what she wears and how she looks.

Michelle reminds me of a woman I knew once...drop dead gorgeous, tall, lissome, magnificent.

And a soul as black as night.

I thought she was entitled and a little harsh featured, but never as bad as what I see on the forum. I wouldn't date her. . .but I admit I'd never go that far - - maybe it's a shark's courtesy.

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
lol

michelle obama is one of the most attractive first lady's in a very long time

some people think she looks like a sasquatch? hahaha

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/27/art.getty.laura.bush.closeu.jpg

A lady to her fingertips.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Maxim agreed, calling Michelle Obama "The hottest first lady in the history of these United States"

Bailey
10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Maxim agreed, calling Michelle Obama "The hottest first lady in the history of these United States"

The most blatant piece of ass kisery I have ever seen. :rolleyes:

JFK's dumbass wife is better looking just for starters but on the other hand the "the hottest first lady" title isnt very hard to obtain.

linda22003
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
NO comparison.

http://blogs.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/girlsbehavingstylishly/michelle_obama_inauguration_gown_a.jpg http://www.biagioprivitera.it/images/JFK/C%20-%20Jacqueline%20-%20the%20White%20House%20years.jpg

CueSi
10-01-2010, 02:48 PM
lol

some people think she looks like a sasquatch? hahaha

She is no sasquatch...but - - -she's not that attractive. . . Sorry. Personality aside, she's no different than any well-put-together non ghetto black woman that you'd find in any large city in the United States. If you love her husband, you think she shits diamonds out of a platinum asshole. . .if you don't... you don't - - to a degree, that's unfair, but since she said that she was never proud of this country till her husband was elected... <shrug>

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
She is no sasquatch...but - - -she's not that attractive. . . Sorry. Personality aside, she's no different than any well-put-together non ghetto black woman that you'd find in any large city in the United States. If you love her husband, you think she shits diamonds out of a platinum asshole. . .if you don't... you don't - - to a degree, that's unfair, but since she said that she was never proud of this country till her husband was elected... <shrug>

~QC

First lady's always look more reserved and arne't supposed to come off as "hot", but she is a very attractive woman. Most first lady's aren't supermodels you know.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
First lady's always look more reserved and arne't supposed to come off as "hot", but she is a very attractive woman. Most first lady's aren't supermodels you know.

The thing is... she's not THAT attractive... even by first lady standards. She ISN'T ugly, but she can make her face look so harsh and unwelcoming that it's not funny.

Even when Laura Bush tries a side eye (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Side+Eye) she still comes off cute. When Michelle side eyes you , YOU KNOW IT. . . that's not attractive.

Like I said :If you love her husband, you think she shits diamonds out of a platinum asshole. . .

~QC

lacarnut
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
That can't be done by her regular stylist because her regular stylist SUCKS. Yeah, I said it... her stylist sucks and she needs a new one. But if she doesn't have one, she needs to GET ONE.

I have a question. For all of The FLOTUS' fashion incompetence . . . why all the stereotypes of her being unattractive and manly?Is it her arms. . .and well, when you talk about her behind, I hate to break it to you... in black, Latino, and Carribean culture, a little junk in the trunk is a GOOD thing. I really have been dying to know. Is it because is she is liberal, or is it because she is black?

~QC

Has nothing to do with race. I worked with mostly blacks for the last 10 years at the Revenue Dept. and we had a fantastic working relationship. Part of the reason I dislike her is that she is a liberal but her stating "that this is the first time I am proud of my country" will always stick in my craw. Anyone black or white that does not love this country should get the f... out. Her ugliness on the inside transcends to the outside from my POV.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Like I said... making a side eye and still looking sexy is an ART . . . many average women have mastered it. . . Michelle still needs classes...

http://front-free.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/SIDE-EYE.jpg

Case in point... that is not sexy... or attractive. That is scary. If I were Madame Bruni, I'd be nervous. It's called a side EYE not a side face.

~QC

CueSi
10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Has nothing to do with race. I worked with mostly blacks for the last 10 years at the Revenue Dept. and we had a fantastic working relationship. Part of the reason I dislike her is that she is a liberal but her stating "that this is the first time I am proud of my country" will always stick in my craw. Anyone black or white that does not love this country should get the f... out. Her ugliness on the inside transcends to the outside from my POV.

I later brought that up as a turning point... for me, in addition, the inability to give a side eye w/o scaring people is a factor.

Tell me that side eye doesn't make you cringe. She's still a woman, she's still moderately attractive, but DAMN!

And the bad fashion...someone hear me on that !

http://beforeitsnews.com/ckfinder/userfiles/0000000000002818/images/michelle.jpg

~QC

linda22003
10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
THIS is the ultimate example of the "side eye".

http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/images/2007/11/29/loren_mansfield.jpg

jediab
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Eye? What eye? I am transfixed on.....something else in this photo.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM

That is the side eye for the ages... you almost see a smirk on Sophia's lips, but it doesn't quite make it. Michelle doesn't even play the smirk. I almost feel like Michelle is going to behead Carla Bruni, while Sophia is just gonna roll her eyes and move on.

Am I overthinking it?

~QC

lacarnut
10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
At times she just looks mean and I betcha she could kick Obama's ass.

Odysseus
10-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Is Maxim still in print?

That's because most presidents can't bag supermodels. Sarkozy is the obvious exception.

That is the side eye for the ages... you almost see a smirk on Sophia's lips, but it doesn't quite make it. Michelle doesn't even play the smirk. I almost feel like Michelle is going to behead Carla Bruni, while Sophia is just gonna roll her eyes and move on.

Am I overthinking it?

~QC
Nope. I think that you nailed it. Michelle always looks like she's angry about something, even when she's smiling. Partly, it's because her smile never seems to reach her eyes, but partly it's because she has a very strong jaw, with a bit of an underbite, and the set of her teeth makes her look like she's grinding them.

The shot of her in the white gown looks like she's pissed off, but trying to fake a smile.

At times she just looks mean and I betcha she could kick Obama's ass.
Who couldn't?

Zafod
10-01-2010, 04:08 PM

I think she is ugly as fuck. then theres the rest of her.... barf

CueSi
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Nope. I think that you nailed it. Michelle always looks like she's angry about something, even when she's smiling. Partly, it's because her smile never seems to reach her eyes, but partly it's because she has a very strong jaw, with a bit of an underbite, and the set of her teeth makes her look like she's grinding them.

The shot of her in the white gown looks like she's pissed off, but trying to fake a smile.

That's true... when Laura or even Barbra Bush smiles, it goes all the way through.

http://www.makli.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/barbara-bush.jpg

Smile lines, people. . . the Bush women have 'em. Laura always looks like she's happy to be wherever she heck she is. She could be on Tierra del Fuego, but she'll still have the slightly askew-eyed smile...maybe that's why people think of her as Stepfordesque, but my momma taught me that it's just... polite.

http://www.shoebuyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Michelle-Obama-and-Laura-Bush.jpg

OH, Gratuious Palin/C.McCain picture. :p Tammy Bruce openly squees over Cindy McCain (http://tammybruce.com/2008/10/i_have_no_comment_on_the_follo.html) - - and I bet she squees over Sarah Palin too. . .I've NEVER seen Rachel Maddow squee over ANY of her fellow travelers. That does say something to me, I think.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/02/art.mccain0902.cnn.jpg

~QC

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Anyone in this thread that is the owner of a John Thomas needs to hand in their man card asap.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone in this thread that is the owner of a John Thomas needs to hand in their man card asap.

Why? Because they don't find Michelle Obama attractive? Or we're talking about something women alone should be talking about?

That's right... prejudiced of you.

~QC

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Why? Because they don't find Michelle Obama attractive? Or we're talking about something women alone should be talking about?

That's right... prejudiced of you.

~QC

Yes, it is. Petty, bitchy sniping is women's work.

Zafod
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM

I just say she is ugly as fuck. I gained 10 points on my man card thank you very much.

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I just say she is ugly as fuck. I gained 10 points on my man card thank you very much.

Probably from other so-called "men."

Zafod
10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Probably from other so-called "men."

what constitutes a "man" to you?

no offence but you come off as a dude who sufferes from a festering case of fibromangina and are in dire need of some mangisil bad.....

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 04:52 PM
what constitutes a "man" to you?

Someone unfamiliar with medicinal items used for a vagina.

CueSi
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Takes one to know one... I've never known a man to be such a master of passive aggressive bitching as yourself. :D Say what you mean, dude. Even Wei mastered that basic bit of manhood.

~QC

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Takes one to know one... I've never known a man to be such a master of passive aggressive bitching as yourself. :D Say what you mean, dude. Even Wei mastered that basic bit of manhood.

~QC

Now that just hurt.

Zafod
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Someone unfamiliar with medicinal items used for a vagina.

no medical terms there buddy just a play on words and how you sound like a man-bitch most of the time....

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
no medical terms there buddy just a play on words and how you sound like a man-bitch most of the time....

Are you going to cry?

Zafod
10-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you going to cry?

huh? now you are not making sense but what ever.

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
huh? now you are not making sense but what ever.

I can easily make even less sense but since you have blustered the requisite amount for the Alphas to satisfy your own pathetic concept of manliness, I will catch you later.

Zafod
10-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I can easily make even less sense but since you have blustered the requisite amount for the Alphas to satisfy your own pathetic concept of manliness, I will catch you later.

what ever little lady.

Arroyo_Doble
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I stand corrected.

Zafod
10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I stand corrected.

most of the time...

Articulate_Ape
10-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Her husband was never worth a damn, but Rosalyn Carter was no eyesore back in the day.

http://www.pocanticohills.org/womenenc/carter2.jpg

Zafod
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Her husband was never worth a damn, but Rosalyn Carter was no eyesore back in the day.

http://www.pocanticohills.org/womenenc/carter2.jpg

she had a cock eye. that bugs the crap out of me....

obx
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM

At least one of them had a cock.
________
Aprilia Tuareg 350 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_Tuareg_350)

Odysseus
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Including you?

So, the OPED pages of the NY Times, Washington Post and LA Times, not to mention all of the hosts on MSNBC, CNN and the network news anchors are doing women's work?

~QC
Ouch! Saying that someone is less manly than Wei is truly harsh.

Zafod
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
At least one of them had a cock.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Arroyo cookie would'nt know anything about that.

Phillygirl
10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Damn, I'm late to a wonderful thread.

Okay, Cue Si, my take on things, probably more to come later.

Hair is not just a black woman's thing. For white women that have great hair, it is also equally important to who they are and what they are all about, so I get it. Having just cut off about 6 inches of my own, I can attest that it definitely was done to make a statement, even if only for myself. And I'm really sorry to hear about your hair mishap. That just sucks and I think I'd still be crying or punching walls if that happened to me.

As for why the extremely harsh stereotypical comments about Michelle, I think the rationale for that is complex. A lot of it has to do with the fact that she (and her husband) are liberals. Some of it has to do with the fact that she's being held up as a scion of black beauty, and she has some very stereotypical black features (but I would say she mostly has the bad stereotypical black features, not the ones that I find to be beautiful). Some of it also has to do with the fact that she's been fawned over where it was undeserved. Because of that people's reactions are even more harsh.

I remember the initial reactions to Laura Bush and her fashion sense...she was widely panned. She is never going to be a trend setter, but she found a style that was gracious and elegant, without coming across as trying to be a "hottie". Michelle tries to be a "hottie" and fails miserably.

There is nothing soft about her features, yet in certain pictures and certain styles she can appear attractive. Never drop dead gorgeous, but attractive.

The picture Linda posted was one of those times, her look, however, was beautiful and she should hire that stylist instantly.

Articulate_Ape
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey, she was married to this guy...

http://www.positivityblog.com/_images/Eleanor_Roosevelt.jpg

Wait a minute... That's Eleanor Roosevelt?

WTF?

obx
10-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I've never seen a pic of Eleanor and Hillary together.
________
Bmw Sauber F1.09 History (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber_F1.09)

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words

This one says it all

http://www.twilightslastgleaming.com/images/black-widow-dress.jpg

Kay
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM

The thing in this picture w.w.w. and Cue is the horrid choice of blue shoes with an
avacado green outfit; and then the panty lines showing so bad. You would think the
First Lady of the US would at least have a staff member to ensure that she doesn't
go out with panty lines showing like this. It's not about how pretty she is or not (this
pic I posted) it's about the obvious lack of class relative to the position she holds.

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
it's about the obvious lack of class

Precisely.

Kay
10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
. . . why all the stereotypes of her being unattractive and manly?Is it her arms. . .and well, when you talk about her behind, I hate to break it to you... in black, Latino, and Carribean culture, a little junk in the trunk is a GOOD thing. I really have been dying to know. Is it because is she is liberal, or is it because she is black? I really would like an answer. . .If you don't have a reason, why do you do it?

Cause she is butt ugly and mean looking. I have to agree with what a lot of others
said. The eyes are the window to the soul. You can tell so much about a person by
their eyes. As stated above, the two Bush first ladies always have pleasant eyes that
smile. Michelle always looks like she might fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and
rip someone's throat out.

http://www.moonbattery.com/michelle-obama-hideous.jpg

It's not a "black woman" thang, it's a "mean black-hearted woman" thang. I can think
of several very beautiful black women - Hallie Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce, Jada
Pinkett, etc. They have kind happy eyes and many of them are as liberal as you can
get, but they are still beautiful women. Michelle is not.

This video is FLOTUS free....

TZMb82Lk8BY

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Hair is not just a black woman's thing. For white women that have great hair, it is also equally important to who they are and what they are all about, so I get it. Having just cut off about 6 inches of my own, I can attest that it definitely was done to make a statement, even if only for myself. And I'm really sorry to hear about your hair mishap. That just sucks and I think I'd still be crying or punching walls if that happened to me.

As for why the extremely harsh stereotypical comments about Michelle, I think the rationale for that is complex. A lot of it has to do with the fact that she (and her husband) are liberals. Some of it has to do with the fact that she's being held up as a scion of black beauty, and she has some very stereotypical black features (but I would say she mostly has the bad stereotypical black features, not the ones that I find to be beautiful). Some of it also has to do with the fact that she's been fawned over where it was undeserved. Because of that people's reactions are even more harsh.

I remember the initial reactions to Laura Bush and her fashion sense...she was widely panned. She is never going to be a trend setter, but she found a style that was gracious and elegant, without coming across as trying to be a "hottie". Michelle tries to be a "hottie" and fails miserably.

There is nothing soft about her features, yet in certain pictures and certain styles she can appear attractive. Never drop dead gorgeous, but attractive.

The picture Linda posted was one of those times, her look, however, was beautiful and she should hire that stylist instantly.

I think both CueSi and Philly make some interesting comments here. I posted this thread because the cultural implications of black hair are outside my experience but are important in the way Michelle is perceived by blacks and in a very different way, by whites.

Non-blacks, I think, pay attention to whether or not her hair is becoming or appropriate for the venue. Blacks, I think, are more focused on whether or not the style signals anything about being a black woman. And she is an actual black woman - not biracial. That's important because most images of "black" women in the U.S. are biracial.

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Non-blacks, I think, pay attention to whether or not her hair is becoming or appropriate for the venueWe take one look and mutter "who'd fuck THAT?"

One day the books will come out...and the truth will be told. Michelle, with both hands out

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 09:51 PM
We take one look and mutter "who'd fuck THAT?"

One day the books will come out...and the truth will be told. Michelle, with both hands out

Uh, not all of us, buddy. I don't arrange my hair my hair to solicit random sexual offers from strangers and I don't think most women do. I don't think any First Ladies do, either.

MountainMan
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Uh, not all of us, buddy. I don't arrange my hair my hair to solicit random sexual offers from strangers and I don't think most women do. I don't think any First Ladies do, either.

Sure you do....You just refuse to admit it.

There is a reason why women spend hours at a salon getting their hair done. It is so they can spend the next month trying to figure out what the damn stylist did so they can repeat it.

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Sure you do....You just refuse to admit it.

There is a reason why women spend hours at a salon getting their hair done. It is so they can spend the next month trying to figure out what the damn stylist did so they can repeat it.

You're so naive - this is painful. We do it for other women. You people wouldn't know a trendy hairstyle from a waffle. For 99% of men, if it's long - it's good. :rolleyes:

:p

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:21 PM
You're so naive - this is painful. We do it for other women. You people wouldn't know a trendy hairstyle from a waffle. For 99% of men, if it's long - it's good. :rolleyes:

Long , clean, combed and the roots the same color as the rest.

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Long , clean, combed and the roots the same color as the rest.

You make my case. :rolleyes:

:D

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:30 PM
You make my case. :rolleyes:

:D
It should smell nice too!:D

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Really. What do you smell like? Lava soap and Selsun Blue? :p

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Really. What do you smell like? Lava soap and Selsun Blue? :p

Selsun blue and permatex orange cleaner, chicks dig the citrus freshness!:cool:

lacarnut
10-02-2010, 12:40 AM

BS. Women spend time at the beauty parlor getting their hair done because it makes them feel good. At least the women I have been involved with.

Articulate_Ape
10-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Really. What do you smell like?

Funny you should ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

AmPat
10-02-2010, 02:46 AM
lol

some people think she looks like a sasquatch? hahahaAnd to you the Elephant Man is a pretty boy.

AmPat
10-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Selsun blue and permatex orange cleaner, chicks dig the citrus freshness!:cool:

I took you for a Gojo man.

Bailey
10-02-2010, 06:41 AM
I stand corrected.

I bet you're used to hearing that line....

AmPat
10-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Like chicken grease.

CueSi
10-03-2010, 02:57 AM

<snip>

But does long hair indicate your social status... mark you as "Good" or "Bad"? And if you hide the truth about your hair, especially if you're deceiving as to the quality or length...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htm1wQNSoKQ

You WILL be called out. White people compliment you, black people will straight up dog you out. When I was a child it was, "Ooh, girl , that ain't fair, give that horse back his hair!" So, we're stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeXUm8OOUA8

IIOFD: My hair was not good by texture... it was good by length. I am thinking about dreadlocking. Especially now that my hair is back to a chemically shorn length. But I worry, honestly... how will the wider white society see me?

I think both CueSi and Philly make some interesting comments here. I posted this thread because the cultural implications of black hair are outside my experience but are important in the way Michelle is perceived by blacks and in a very different way, by whites.

Non-blacks, I think, pay attention to whether or not her hair is becoming or appropriate for the venue. Blacks, I think, are more focused on whether or not the style signals anything about being a black woman. And she is an actual black woman - not biracial. That's important because most images of "black" women in the U.S. are biracial.

I posted this to follow into this...

Cause she is butt ugly and mean looking. I have to agree with what a lot of others
said. The eyes are the window to the soul. You can tell so much about a person by
their eyes. As stated above, the two Bush first ladies always have pleasant eyes that
smile. Michelle always looks like she might fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and
rip someone's throat out.

It's not a "black woman" thang, it's a "mean black-hearted woman" thang. I can think
of several very beautiful black women - Hallie Berry, Vanessa Williams, Beyonce, Jada
Pinkett, etc. They have kind happy eyes and many of them are as liberal as you can
get, but they are still beautiful women. Michelle is not.

This video is FLOTUS free....

TZMb82Lk8BY

Most of the women you point out, Kay...as Ginger noted are either biracial or distinctively part Caucasian, with the possible exception of Jada. Halle and Vanessa are biracial, Beyonce is part creole. And that does matter. . .especially in the formation of features and hair.

~QC

CueSi
10-03-2010, 03:15 AM
And here's Part two of the Tyra thing I posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0DgVijM7Z8

I think you'll find further insight to the OP in this. . .I mean, Chris Rock made an ENTIRE MOVIE about this.

Betcha they don't have threads like this at DU.

~QC

RobJohnson
10-03-2010, 03:22 AM
The only hair I notice is the President's hair that continues to get grey, very grey.

I would think for a few thousand bucks the tax payers could do something about that.

CueSi
10-03-2010, 03:26 AM
The only hair I notice is the President's hair that continues to get grey, very grey.

I would think for a few thousand bucks the tax payers could do something about that.

Pffft. Black men look good with Salt and Pepper or just Salt. My Commie dad looks awesome.

~QC

Sonnabend
10-03-2010, 09:08 AM

http://www.ethnicavenue.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/saltvampirestartrek.jpg

hampshirebrit
10-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Michelle is not bad looking ... not great, but not bad.

She certainly is not ugly. If she was Michelle Somebody-Else rather than Michelle Obama, no-one would be calling her ugly.

A photograph can easily change anyone's facial appearances, long before we start with photo-shoping the image.

Someone that much in the public eye as the FL will inevitably be caught making less than optimal facial expressions now and then. This applies equally to politicians of all stripes and their spouses.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
And here's Part two of the Tyra thing I posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0DgVijM7Z8

I think you'll find further insight to the OP in this. . .I mean, Chris Rock made an ENTIRE MOVIE about this.

Betcha they don't have threads like this at DU.

~QC

I have wavy hair, and it's thick...And guess what? It gets poofy!
And I consider when it gets poofy that it looks bad...And I'm white! :eek:

Rockntractor
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Michelle is not bad looking ... not great, but not bad.

She certainly is not ugly. If she was Michelle Somebody-Else rather than Michelle Obama, no-one would be calling her ugly.

A photograph can easily change anyone's facial appearances, long before we start with photo-shoping the image.

Someone that much in the public eye as the FL will inevitably be caught making less than optimal facial expressions now and then. This applies equally to politicians of all stripes and their spouses.

You're just fascinated with people that still have teeth after they turn 20 years old!:D

hampshirebrit
10-03-2010, 10:13 AM
You're just fascinated with people that still have teeth after they turn 20 years old!:D

LOL. You funny bastard. :D:D

CueSi
10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I have wavy hair, and it's thick...And guess what? It gets poofy!
And I consider when it gets poofy that it looks bad...And I'm white! :eek:

It's a little different...black hair comes with historical baggage even I can't escape.

~QC

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
It's a little different...black hair comes with historical baggage even I can't escape.

~QC

It's hair. No reasonable person would judge someone based on whether their hair is nappy, straight, curly, wavy, etc.
By the way, if you're really interested in hair, buy this book by Richard Courson called, "Fashions in Hair: The First Five Thousand Years" it's expensive but goes into hair, and different styles of hair and their meanings in society over the millenia. It's also got lots of illustrations of hairstyles on both men and women from Ancient Egypt to today.

CueSi
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
It's hair. No reasonable person would judge someone based on whether their hair is nappy, straight, curly, wavy, etc.
By the way, if you're really interested in hair, buy this book by Richard Courson called, "Fashions in Hair: The First Five Thousand Years" it's expensive but goes into hair, and different styles of hair and their meanings in society over the millenia. It's also got lots of illustrations of hairstyles on both men and women from Ancient Egypt to today.

If that was true... the stereotype of the dumb blond would have died a long while ago.

;)

~QC

Gingersnap
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

~QC

I think this is absolutely true. Whites are probably more tolerant of different hair (aside from the Brit hysteria over red hair) than blacks or Asians. Probably because a lot of white families can produce children with with wildly variable hair: color, texture, amount, etc. American blacks admire "good hair" (wavy/straight and capable of growing long) but having that hair that texture naturally is a sure sign of mixed race. There's a lot of conflict there.

Odysseus
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
If that was true... the stereotype of the dumb blond would have died a long while ago.

;)

~QC

So you subscribe to the notion that a blonde who has dyed her hair dark is applying artificial intelligence? :D

Starbuck
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
It's not polite to talk about hair around me.

I don't have any.:)

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
It's not polite to talk about hair around me.

I don't have any.:)

So, the smiley icon was a portrait? :D

Starbuck
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
So, the smiley icon was a portrait? :D

What icon? I post a picture and this is what I get?:p