PDA

View Full Version : What If...The Game

NJCardFan
10-01-2010, 02:21 AM
How about a little game of What If? Pick an historical event like a presidential election or some other event and say what if such-and-such didn't happen or happened...I will begin.

What if Gore had carried his home state in 2000?-When discussing the 2000 presidential election, most people will always point to the clusterfuck called the Florida recount. However, I always like to stress that if Al Gore had carried his home state(and to my knowledge is the only presidential candidate who didn't carry his home state..even Mondale and McGovern carried their home states), Florida wouldn't have mattered. Take those 11 electoral votes away from Bush and Gore wins 276-260. But would there still have been a 9/11? I believe so because it appears that the hijackers had been planning the attack since 1999 so it probably would have been carried out. Now, all things being equal, I don't believe Gore would have been all for going into Afghanistan, at least not right away. And the country would not have been united as it was then because Bush knew how to bring it all together and out and out challenge Al Qaeda and tell them straight up we're gunning for them. Gore would have proceeded diplomatically. Sure, congress, which was a Republican congress could have demanded immediate action but it wouldn't have done anything. Also, there would never have been Bush tax cuts. Taxes more than likely would have gone up and things like healthcare legislation would have been pushed, al be it shot down as it was under Clinton, but it would have been fought for. That said, there also would have been no invasion of Iraq. Al Qaeda would have gotten stronger, and the world would be a bigger shitpot than it is now. Would the London and Madrid bombings have gone off? Probably not because, as I said, there might not have been any wars going on at all. 2004 would have been interesting. I believe with his strong showing in 2000, Bush would have run again in 2004 and run on basically the same platform as 2000 but he would have had the added ammunition of 9/11 and the subsequent feet dragging by Gore in going after Al Qaeda. Bush would have most certainly unseated Gore.

So, how close am I?

Sonnabend
10-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Very, except that Gore would have been what he is, a sniveling coward, and run like hell from any confrontation. he was unfit to lead then, and now.

NJCardFan
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's another What if I'd like to see someone tackle:

What if 9/11 never happened?

FlaGator
10-01-2010, 10:22 AM

There would be no DU dungeon.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
What if democrats pushed for the single-payer health care plan and used the public option as a backup?

Every american would have access to affordable health insurance, private or public

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Everyone would still believe we were living at the end of history, on a tiny little Island, with thye outside world being only seen on television and the United States being the World.

NJCardFan
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
What if democrats pushed for the single-payer health care plan and used the public option as a backup?

Every american would have access to affordable health insurance, private or public
Actually, penis breath, you can't have a single payer healthcare plan and a public option as a back up. Singer payer means single payer, genius.

There would be no DU dungeon.

Actually, didn't the DUmp start after the 2000 election? And by extension, there would be no CU.

Wei Wu Wei
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Actually, penis breath, you can't have a single payer healthcare plan and a public option as a back up. Singer payer means single payer, genius.

Right the single payer would not have passed but the public option would have passed as a compromise.