PDA

View Full Version : Friday Franchise

linda22003
10-01-2010, 08:30 AM
We may finally be heading into autumn in the DC area. The rains have cooled things off and it should be in the 60s this weekend.

TOTD: Is there an interesting race in your district this year? Does the incumbent have it sewed up or is he/she in trouble? Do you have a Tea Party candidate?

We have two nonentities, Gerry Connolly (D), the freshman incumbent, and Keith Fimian (R) who was defeated by him last time. No tea party activity around here as far as I can tell.

Milly
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Our Indiana races were interesting up to the primary, but now both our Senate & House Republican candidates are far enough ahead to feel confident they're going to win. Nevertheless, I'll be sure to vote.

Our 3rd District House candidate, Marlin Stutzman, is a Tea Party candidate - he won the primary when Mark Souder resigned. He has a commanding lead over Tom Hayhurst, the Democrat's sacrificial lamb. I like Hayhurst as a person - he's a very decent guy - but liberal is liberal.

FlaGator
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Beautiful day today. Sunny and cool...

TOTD: We have the Rubio/Crist/Meeks Senate race. Rubio is running away with this. Also the Governor's race between Rick Scott (R) and Alex Sink (D) is interesting. This race is neck and neck with Scott accusing sink of being a Obama sock and Sink claiming that Scott is a corrupt CEO. In short, the normal campaign stuff.

hampshirebrit
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
An appalling day in Aberdeen today, very windy with a great deal of horizontal rain. I'm sat in the biz lounge in ABZ waiting for a flight back to The World. The weather should make for an amusing ride home. I am so glad the week is finally over that I don't care.

TOTD. I shall be watching events in NJ and NY, as I once lived in these places.

noonwitch
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
It's sunny and 60 something. I like it, but everyone else is complaining that it's cold outside.

TOTD: We have a governor's race with no conservative candidate. The two conservatives in the GOP primary basically canceled each other out. The GOP candidate is the former CEO of Gateway Computers (Rick Snyder) and the Dem candidate is the Mayor of Lansing, Virg Bernero.

Snyder is currently leading in the polls, but Bernero is running attack ads, accusing Snyder of sending millions of jobs overseas when he was CEO at Gateway. The UAW is sending me daily literature about how awful Snyder is.

Bernero is really good buddies with one of Detroit's largest slumlords. My brother went to college with Bernero (and with US rep Mike Rogers), and although he hates him, he told me I should still vote for him. Virg is claiming that Snyder is not pro-choice. I'm planning to vote for Snyder, but if he isn't pro choice, I will reconsider. Michigan Right To Life has not endorsed him, though. They endorsed Cox in the primary, who was also the Tea Party candidate. Cox is an adulterer and a liar, and there are a lot of rumours out there that he whitewashed his investigation into Kwame Kilpatrick's wrongdoings as Mayor of Detroit.

SaintLouieWoman
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Beautiful day today. Sunny and cool...

TOTD: We have the Rubio/Crist/Meeks Senate race. Rubio is running away with this. Also the Governor's race between Rick Scott (R) and Alex Sink (D) is interesting. This race is neck and neck with Scott accusing sink of being a Obama sock and Sink claiming that Scott is a corrupt CEO. In short, the normal campaign stuff.

You forgot Sink's non-compete award to BOA, her former employer, for 3/4 million while she held state office. Then there's supposedly her mishandling of Florida retirement funds.

I don't think we have excellent alternatives in the governor race. I don't particularly like either, but will support Scott and hold my nose as I think she'd be way to liberal.

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 09:26 PM
We're still cooling off and sneaking up on Fall. Some wag has predicted October 19th as the first snow.

TOTD: Are you kidding? We have Tom Tancredo running for Governor on the Constitution Party ticket. The Republican Maes has less than 15% of the likely voters. :p