PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleaning Gadget You've Actually Used?

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not real big on time-savers or new miracle products for housecleaning. I keep a pretty clean house and I've tried a lot of gadgets and my MIL used to do day work professionally so I'm not very naive about this stuff. Most of it is trash.

I recently started using the Swiffer hand dusters and I'm shocked at how good this product is in a general way. You still have to "really" polish your wood once month or so and move ornaments to dust/polish them infrequently but for ordinary cleaning, I'm very impressed. The duster gets into all kinds of nooks and crannies very quickly and effectively. When it's over - just toss it!

I'm also a new fan of Mrs. Meyers cleaning solution in Lemon Verbena. Works well and smells just great.

What's your "new" find in this area?

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Woman!:cool:

SaintLouieWoman
10-01-2010, 11:03 PM
No particular new find, but would like to ask for a recommendation for a good furniture cleaner/polish. I have an old dark wood Henredon desk that I bought some time ago at a neighbor's moving sale. It matched a storage headboard that I had. Both pieces are now in our guest bedroom.

My problem is slobber, greyhound slobber. The dogs like to go in that room and sun themselves. Xena in particular drools a lot and there are always little spots on the dark wood drawers. Darlene and Blue probably add to the mix, not all Xena's fault.

I even resorted to Windex on the wood, which I know is a no-no.

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:11 PM
No particular new find, but would like to ask for a recommendation for a good furniture cleaner/polish. I have an old dark wood Henredon desk that I bought some time ago at a neighbor's moving sale. It matched a storage headboard that I had. Both pieces are now in our guest bedroom.

My problem is slobber, greyhound slobber. The dogs like to go in that room and sun themselves. Xena in particular drools a lot and there are always little spots on the dark wood drawers. Darlene and Blue probably add to the mix, not all Xena's fault.

Old english.

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM

I would use any generic "white sponge" with any oil-based polish: Orange-Glo, Old English, etc. The white sponge will not harm your wood but it's tough enough for dried drool and the oil-based polishes will even out the finish without a lot of fussiness. I'd use a micro-fiber cloth to apply the polish. Get the cheap ones in the car department, not the expensive exact same thing in housewares. ;)

marv
10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
A straw broom, a Hoover upright, Windex, Old English and an old washcloth. But what do I know, I'm just an old guy.

Paper towels are useful too...........:D

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:29 PM
A straw broom, a Hoover upright, Windex, Old English and an old washcloth. But what do I know, I'm just an old guy.

Paper towels are useful too...........:D
I just tell that woman there is a spot on the woodwork.:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I just tell that woman there is a spot on the woodwork.:rolleyes:

Like you could detect that. I'm sure SR is oblivious to any dog drool issues in the house.

Rockntractor
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Like you could detect that. I'm sure SR is oblivious to any dog drool issues in the house.

I help my wife a lot, I showed her yesterday where the dog puked under my desk!:confused:

Gingersnap
10-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I help my wife a lot, I showed her yesterday where the dog puked under my desk!:confused:

Why? Were you guys competing or what? :p

Articulate_Ape
10-02-2010, 01:10 AM
A flamethrower.

SaintLouieWoman
10-02-2010, 10:32 AM

You've got that right. :D Wait, he does mop up the large quantity of drool on the hardwood, next to the kitchen table. I've never seen a greyhound drool like Xena. She's confused, must think she's a St Bernard or a Great Dane. You've got to get that up off the floor or someone will slip and have a bad fall.

namvet
10-02-2010, 11:01 AM
im the best cleaning gadget my wife has

NJCardFan
10-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Spot Bot. When the dogs do no-no's while we're gone, spot bot does the trick.

Calypso Jones
10-02-2010, 01:29 PM
little brown illegal alien with no papers.

Articulate_Ape
10-02-2010, 02:09 PM
little brown illegal alien with no papers.

Heh.

SaintLouieWoman
10-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Spot Bot. When the dogs do no-no's while we're gone, spot bot does the trick.

We have one. It's indispensable. My son got one, too, as his dog is on prednisone and having serious wetting problems. He swears by it now.

RobJohnson
10-03-2010, 11:55 PM

I have not read the entire thread yet, so I appologize if someone else has suggested this:

http://www.restockit.com/images/Product/medium/75144RC.jpg

I wish we were neighbors I would walk over and take a look......

Rockntractor
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I have not read the entire thread yet, so I appologize if someone else has suggested this:

http://www.restockit.com/images/Product/medium/75144RC.jpg
It just proves it is good stuff, two others of us suggested it.
Many years ago I worked in a furniture factory and they used it to repair finishes.

noonwitch
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
A flamethrower.

I thought those were for outdoor cleaning-my dad used one once, to rid a tree of tent catepillars. It worked, and the tree survived, although it took about 5 years for the tree to totally recover.

SaintLouieWoman
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
It just proves it is good stuff, two others of us suggested it.
Many years ago I worked in a furniture factory and they used it to repair finishes.

Good idea. I used some Guardsman touch up sticks (got in a pack with 3 colors) to repair some of the scratches the movers made on our stuff. The pooch slobber is tougher.

Question---it's usually dark looking in the bottle. Can it only be used on dark finishes?

It's remarkable what one can also do with a dry erase black magic marker thingy. I bought a cool (or at least I thought so) print at a place called the Woman's Exchange in downtown Sarasota. A lot of people either donate or put on consignment some of their misc stuff. I loved this print, extremely simple, outline of a salboat with a couple abstract birds. It was simple but soothing. And the price was even more soothing. $8 and change. The black metal frame had a few minor scratches. After I worked on it, looked excellent. I've looked and looked at pieces that were semi-expensive, but like this little pic better. It said "Kate Hepburn Graphics" on the gottom. Did Katherine Hepburn dabble in art?

Edited---there is a Kate Hepburn graphics, but couldn't find the image of the little sailboat.

AmPat
10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Old english.

Old english woman?:confused:

linda22003
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Best Cleaning Gadget You've Actually Used?

Maid service.

Rockntractor
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Good idea. I used some Guardsman touch up sticks (got in a pack with 3 colors) to repair some of the scratches the movers made on our stuff. The pooch slobber is tougher.

Question---it's usually dark looking in the bottle. Can it only be used on dark finishes?

It's remarkable what one can also do with a dry erase black magic marker thingy. I bought a cool (or at least I thought so) print at a place called the Woman's Exchange in downtown Sarasota. A lot of people either donate or put on consignment some of their misc stuff. I loved this print, extremely simple, outline of a salboat with a couple abstract birds. It was simple but soothing. And the price was even more soothing. $8 and change. The black metal frame had a few minor scratches. After I worked on it, looked excellent. I've looked and looked at pieces that were semi-expensive, but like this little pic better. It said "Kate Hepburn Graphics" on the gottom. Did Katherine Hepburn dabble in art?

Edited---there is a Kate Hepburn graphics, but couldn't find the image of the little sailboat.
I have used it for light maple, I wouldn't use it on a real light birch though.

Articulate_Ape
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
After reading some of the input here, I would submit that this thread should be emailed to the organizers of the "One Nation" rally.

Kay
10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
The best cleaning gadget out there is the elbow.
Without it none of the other products work at all.

I will also give my endorsement to Old English for furniture polish.
I also like Liquid Gold spray.

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/files/products/woodcleaner-almond.jpg

BSR
10-05-2010, 08:35 PM

Damn it, killed it with the second post. Although I shouldn't be surprised it was said already.:D

m00
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM

You liar, you've never tried one of these!

Rockntractor
10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
You liar, you've never tried one of these!

I picked one up long ago,I have used her for years!:D

m00
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I picked one up long ago,I have used her for years!:D

As long as you remember to perform regular maintenance... :D