PDA

View Full Version : MORE Homelessness....

SarasotaRepub
10-02-2010, 09:40 AM
:eek: My God, the homeless threads, they just keep on coming!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9238311) And this time by our Bug-Boy Buddy, the friend to the US Military, mike_c!

mike_c (1000+ posts) Fri Oct-01-10 06:51 PM
Original message my partner witnessed something terrible yesterday...

Edited on Fri Oct-01-10 07:12 PM by mike_c
...and I can't get it out of my head.

There is a homeless encampment in a shallow ravine across the street from her office, with maybe six to ten shelters most of the time. It's on municipal land, and I gather that homeless people often don't feel safe from police harassment there during the day, and indeed, I've witnessed police shaking people down on the street near the encampment. The camp is not very visible from the street and many folks probably pass by without even knowing it's there, or without realizing how many people shelter there each night, especially during the dry season.

So yesterday afternoon, right after school ended for the day, my partner was taking a break on a balcony behind her office-- it's actually the back porch of the converted house her employer uses for office space-- when she saw a group of five young boys arrive at the encampment on bicycles. From that vantage you can see the encampment quite well. At first she thought the boys might be living at the encampment. All five boys were clean cut, riding nice bikes, carrying school books in backpacks. They were about 12 or 13 years old-- not older teens, but not really young children, either. That in-between age.

When they determined that no one was there, the boys proceeded to quickly and methodically destroy everything they could find. My partner says they started by smashing everything made of glass. They destroyed the shelters, sleeping bags, and all personal belongings they found, slitting cloth items and trampling them into the dirt. They threw away or destroyed food. She saw one boy smashing a laptop computer by swinging it against a tree. When he was done, he left it lying on the ground for its owner to find. They left everything. They destroyed as much as they could, then left it for the owners to find.

My GF alerted her office mates and one came out with her to witness the rest of the destruction. They didn't call the police because the police apparently don't respond to reports of crimes against the homeless camp-- although as I said, they certainly do hassle the residents themselves.

The boys saw my GF and her colleague watching from across the street and they got back on their bikes and left, but turned around and rode back up the street, passing directly past my partner and her friend. The women confronted the boys-- remember, they weren't obvious gang members or street toughs or anything like that-- they were just suburban kids in a working class neighborhood, school kids carrying their books on their backs, like ten or twelve years old. "That was all those people had," she said. "Why did you break their last possessions like that? How would you feel if someone tore up your things that way?"

The boys replied derisively, as boys that age sometimes will if they think they can get away with it. "They're just a bunch of homos! Fucking homeless! They're winos! Fuck them!" And they rode off, hooting and calling to one another. "Fuck YEAH!"

I keep coming back to the description of the boy who smashed the laptop computer. He didn't steal it. I could understand that, if he had-- not condone it, of course, but we can all relate to wanting things that others have on some level. What I cannot understand is why a twelve year old boy would deliberately destroy something like a computer and leave it lying on the ground for its owner to find, why a boy that age would give greater priority to causing someone else the pain of loss than he gave to his own sense of possession.

My partner was dumbfounded. She realized later they should have photographed the boys, or obtained some way to identify them. At the time, she and her colleague were so shocked that neither of them thought of it until later. Neither of them think they could positively identify the boys.

I just can't get the cruelty and malice of it all out of my head. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Old Mikey is pretty active in this one, I'm guessing old bobbolink was too busy with other threads last night and asked him to sub for her. :D

NJCardFan
10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
You mean...there's....evil in this world? With Obama and all there's still evil? I know, I know...their parents are TEABAGGERS! Yeah, that's it. Teabagger spawn they are! RethugliKKKlans! Yeah, that explains it!!

She saw one boy smashing a laptop computer by swinging it against a tree.

Could be bobbolink's computer, no?

AmPat
10-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I keep coming back to the description of the boy who smashed the laptop computer. He didn't steal it. I could understand that, if he had-- not condone it, of course, but we can all relate to wanting things that others have on some level. What I cannot understand is why a twelve year old boy would deliberately destroy something like a computer and leave it lying on the ground for its owner to find, why a boy that age would give greater priority to causing someone else the pain of loss than he gave to his own sense of possession.It was probably a MAC, a device preferred by liberals.

My partner was dumb. She realized later they should have photographed the boys, or obtained some way to identify them. At the time, she and her colleague were so shocked that neither of them thought of it until later. Neither of them think they could positively identify the boys.SO shocked that they could confront the evil, but not think fast enough to gather descriptions? Morons all.

I just can't get the cruelty and malice of it all out of my head. What the fuck is wrong with people? Strange, I have the same thoughts about liberals.

Kay
10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Why would a homeless person living in a shallow ravine have a laptop computer?

Ree
10-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Why would a homeless person living in a shallow ravine have a laptop computer?
Good question....How would they charge it? I know there are "hot spots" where ya can get internet....But the batteries don't last that long...And if ya were homeless and owned a laptop why wouldn't ya take it everywhere ya go?

I'd say this bouncy needs more work....:cool:

SarasotaRepub
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Good question....How would they charge it? I know there are "hot spots" where ya can get internet....But the batteries don't last that long...And if ya were homeless and owned a laptop why wouldn't ya take it everywhere ya go?

I'd say this bouncy needs more work....:cool:

Exactly right Ree and Kay. Why would a homeless person leave a valuable item like a laptop in an empty camp??? Only two reasons really: 1.) It was broke, in which case it really doesn't matter or 2.) It's all a bullshit story. I'd bet on number 2. :D

Beefeater
10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Just a WAG, but it sounds like this MORON has been listening to someone read "The Grapes of Wrath" out loud to him. I did like the laptop thing though, gives a modern touch to the story.

Bustin' up the migrant camps, right out of Steinbeck.

m00
10-02-2010, 09:37 PM
so...how come none of the adults even yelled at the kids?

SarasotaRepub
10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
so...how come none of the adults even yelled at the kids?

Because it never happened. :D

hoplophobe
10-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Another reason this is BS. These homeless people just left all their possessions sitting there unprotected? If so, I cannot believe another homeless person had not ransacked their camp before that.

movie buff
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
As others here have noted, the laptop makes the story way too implausible.
Though, if it did happen (Hypothetically, of course, as this is pretty much guaranteed to be a bouncy), the homeless people at the camp should count themselves lucky that it was just their stuff destroyed, and that they themselves weren't hurt.
After all, there is a very real problem afflicting the homeless in the form of the growing popularity of the obscene practice known as "Bum Hunting" (Gangs of bored kids or usually teens finding lone homeless people and beating them within an inch of their lives for the fun of it). DUmmy mike, THAT'S a real life example of "Cruelty and malice" towards the homeless.