PDA

View Full Version : A quick note to anyone who goes to bars, restaurants, etc.

SarasotaRepub
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
OMFG!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9245396) Pitt is a Bouncer!!!

WilliamPitt (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-03-10 05:00 AM
Original message A quick note to anyone who goes to bars, restaurants, etc.

Just got home from my night job, and wanted to share a thought...and a request.

Short back-story: I've been working for Truthout for almost ten years now, it's a non-profit organization, and we got creamed when the economy tanked. We rely 100% on donations to operate, and when the economic shit hit the trickle-down fan two Decembers ago, the donations pretty much evaporated completely. I volunteered to take a savage pay cut to help keep the place afloat, and in order to make ends meet, got a night job as a bouncer at a downtown bar. For the record, matters have improved, my salary has returned to almost what it was, but I've held on to the night job because the extra scratch is tremendously helpful, and because I actually enjoy the work (mostly).

(More at the linky, as usual with Pitt, he babbles on way too fucking long.) :rolleyes:

:D

Beefeater
10-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, and somehow Wee Willie even tried to turn it into the 1st honorable thing he's ever done in his pathetic little life...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8203993

WilliamPitt (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-23-10 04:53 PM
Original message
Do The Right Thing

Edited on Fri Apr-23-10 05:02 PM by WilliamPitt

(Illustration: Lance Page / t r u t h o u t)

Do The Right Thing
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed

Friday 23 April 2010

For a number of years, the running joke about me among my friends was that, because I write for a living, I'm a bum. They didn't really mean it,

Oh yes we did Wm.

But the killer quote...

Since nobody anywhere was hiring anyone for anything, I took the best gig I could find, which turned out to be bouncing at a bar. Several nights a week, I pushed away from my keyboard to stand outside a door on a frigid street in a black shirt and check IDs, throw out drunks and keep the peace, such as it was. The gig also involved hauling out garbage, sweeping up cigarette butts, dumping beer swill buckets, polishing tables and dragging dripping boxes of empty beer bottles out behind the building at the end of the night. The pay wasn't great, and my work on average wasn't done until 4:00 AM, but it was enough to make the difference between eating and not eating, and I've been at it ever since.

No Wm, you took the only thing you are qualified to do, stand on a sidewalk in front of a bar!

PJ did a DUFU at the time....

http://dummiefunnies.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

FRIDAY, MAY 07, 2010
Pitt gets a JOB! As a BOUNCER!

Will wonders never cease? Wee Willie Pitt has gotten a JOB! As a BOUNCER, no less! Remember Pitt's Bukowski buddy Ty the Bouncer? Well, Pitt has BECOME Ty the Bouncer! Trust-fund baby,

It doesn't pay much but he can at least work off his bar tab.

*evil Vincent Price laugh*

JB
10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I read the scribe.

So Bostonians in the food/beverage service industry are treated like shit and get tipped even shittier. According to Wee Willie.

Boston is 7% Republican. Figure it out Will.

SarasotaRepub
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Exactly JB. :D Will is calling his fellow Libtards out for what they are.

JB
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Exactly JB. :D Will is calling his fellow Libtards out for what they are.Democrats treat people like shit and are terrible tippers.

He really didn't need to write 10 paragraphs to tell us what we already knew. :D

I liked the part about the cigarette getting flicked at his head. A couple years ago it was a brick to the head. This guy's head is so big it has its own gravity.

Odysseus
10-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder if having to deal with drunks and others who cannot abide by the bar rules will make him see the need for rules? I've met very few liberal bar bouncers. People who can keep order and work hard to keep in the kind of shape needed to do it tend to be conservative.