PDA

View Full Version : Arizona's Medicaid Program Will No Longer Cover Liver, Heart, Lung Transplants

Gingersnap
10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Arizona's Medicaid Program Will No Longer Cover Liver, Heart, Lung Transplants
"Significant fiscal challenges" will eliminate other benefits for adults

Tuesday, October 05, 2010
By Susan Jones

(CNSNews.com) - Arizona's Medicaid agency will no longer cover non-experimental organ transplants for its adult members.

In a memo announcing a number of benefits changes for adults 21 and older, the state's Medicaid agency said it was responding to "significant fiscal challenges facing the State and substantial growth in the Medicaid population."

As of October 1, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System will no longer pay for liver transplants for patients with Hepatitis C; certain heart and bone marrow transplants; or lung and pancreas transplants.

The new transplant exclusions took effect Friday as part of broader Medicaid coverage changes mandated by the State of Arizona in response to budgetary pressures. (Arizona's Fiscal Year 2010 enacted budget directs AHCCCS to eliminate various medical and health services for adults. See page 20 of the bill).

In addition to eliminating most organ-transplant coverage, Arizona's Medicaid agency also is eliminating most dental care for adults as well as coverage of podiatrist services; insulin pumps; percussive vests; bone-anchored hearing aids; cochlear implants; orthotics; gastric bypass surgery; certain durable medical equipment; "well" medical checkups; some non-emergency medical transportation; microprocessor-controlled lower limbs and joints; and it is limiting outpatient physical therapy to 15 visits per contract year. (See list)

A group that advocates for viral hepatitis patients is outraged by the decision to "deprive" hepatitis C patients of liver-transplant coverage, calling the move "cruel" and "inhumane."

Interesting.

CNS (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/arizonas-medicaid-program-will-no-longer)

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
percussive vests

CF kids.

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Maybe if they cut taxes

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Maybe if they cut taxes

Or closed the borders.

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
The Mexicans! I knew it was them...

Too bad though, all this border security costs a LOT of money, and as the article pointed out, Arizona is broke. They're cutting health benefits for their citizens, right on. I'm not sure how much they have to line up a team of Robocops on every mile marker on the border.

I have 2 ideas though that may solve the problem:

1. Cut
2. Taxes

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
If they just keep cutting taxes lower and lower, eventually people will have enough money in their pocket to pay for their own liver transplant. It's not that expensive, if you really want it, and are willing to work for it.

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 11:42 AM
The Mexicans! I knew it was them...

Too bad though, all this border security costs a LOT of money, and as the article pointed out, Arizona is broke. They're cutting health benefits for their citizens, right on. I'm not sure how much they have to line up a team of Robocops on every mile marker on the border.

I have 2 ideas though that may solve the problem:

1. Cut
2. Taxes

Border security is not a function of the Several States.

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
What? Immigration has actually decreased over the last several years?

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1714/annual-inflow-unauthorized-immigrants-united-states-decline

http://pewresearch.org/assets/publications/1714-1.gif

In addition to the decline in Nevada, three other Mountain states -- Arizona, Colorado and Utah -- experienced a decrease in their combined unauthorized immigrant population from 2008 to 2009.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't hear you I was busy sending an angry email to Obama telling him to STOP THE INFINITE STREAM OF MEXICANS STOP THEM PLEASE

Articulate_Ape
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
What? Immigration has actually decreased over the last several years?

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1714/annual-inflow-unauthorized-immigrants-united-states-decline

http://pewresearch.org/assets/publications/1714-1.gif

Oh I'm sorry I didn't hear you I was busy sending an angry email to Obama telling him to STOP THE INFINITE STREAM OF MEXICANS STOP THEM PLEASE

I think you will find that graph tracks the economic decline and decline in jobs in the US for some mysterious reason. Snap out of it.

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
But the immigrants...they just keep coming....more than ever I swear...

Articulate_Ape
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
But the immigrants...they just keep coming....more than ever I swear...

If they are "unauthorized" (aka illegal) where the hell did they come up with those figures? Nope, you and your pinko buddies aren't going to be holding the door for them much longer.

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Whoa....if they're undocumented, how can we prove that they exist at all?

WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Articulate_Ape
10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

You forgot to pay your brain bill again, didn't you?

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM

They're not undocumented. They're illegal. What part of illegal do you not understand?

http://diversitylane.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/diversitylane_undocumented_for-blog.jpg?w=510&h=654

Gingersnap
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Let's get back to the Arizona Medicaid issue.

Illegal aliens obviously impact medical care this state (as they do in other states) but this is not the right thread to discuss free-wheeling thoughts on illegal aliens or U.S. immigration policy in general. :cool:

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Let's get back to the Arizona Medicaid issue.

It is the nature of the beast, isn't it? When the economy sheds labor due to over-capacity, naturally the so-called safety net will be taxed (so to speak) more.

lacarnut
10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Gingersnap;320578]Let's get back to the Arizona Medicaid issue.

QUOTE]

I am cool with this cut off of funds for expensive transplants of medicaid patients. Many of them should get off their lazy ass, get a job, pay into Medicare and then they would be covered and contributing to society rather than being leeches.

The liberals and freeloaders wanted Obamacare. They are not going to like a bureaucrat telling them to go home to die. Here is your pill to eff yourself. Additionally, Hospice care is too expensive so that has been cut out also. Just wait till Aid patients are kicked out of the hospital and told the meds are too expensive. The queers will be hollering that they are a special class. It is going to be fun to watch what all states do with Medicaid cause they can not absorb the financial burden of adding thousand to the rolls.

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
It is the nature of the beast, isn't it? When the economy sheds labor due to over-capacity, naturally the so-called safety net will be taxed (so to speak) more.

To put it another way, if you choke the goose that lays the golden eggs, eventually you'll get no more eggs.

Unemployment is a symptom of economic downturn, not a cause, although once started, it feeds into the cycle. The problem is that government is spending money that it doesn't have, imposing job-killing mandates and sucking credit out of the private sector, as well as creating uncertainty, which results in businesses hunkering down and preparing . Obamacare has driven the cost of employer-provided insurance so high that employers are laying people off because they can no longer afford the mandated benefits. The safety net is dependent on revenues from taxes, and taxes are dependent on an employed workforce. So, the more government spends, mandates and obfuscates, the less it takes in.

Articulate_Ape
10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I think it is very worthwhile examining why certain procedures are so expensive. I can assure you that the reasons are legion and none of them are because we don't pay enough taxes. Tort reform, the scrutiny that austerity brings ("oh, you will only pay that much? I forgot, we have a special on this procedure right now"), and a plethora of other factors could fix this shit.

There is not a family or business that does not understand that if you don't have the money you can't pay, so you eat rice and beans, or run your business on a shoestring. Likewise, if you are selling a service, and yes medicine is a service, and the market will not bear what you are asking for that service, then you either lower your prices or you negotiate a price that works for buyer and seller, or you lose that customer.

The latter in this case means that certain people don't get care. That is possible, but it is equally possible that the generosity of fellow Americans will step up and, without the "middle man" of big government, take up the slack the taxes they don't have to pay allow. This scenario relies of the decency of the American people; a decency that our government does not believe we possess. I think the opposite is true. I think that we possess a level of generosity unmatched in the world. I think that we will rush in to take care of people in need, BUT we will also expect evidence of true need; something "our" government fails at miserably.

Our nation's wealth in the hands of those who have earned it, and distributed at the discretion of same offers the best outcome on every front whether economic, social/charity, and national good is the answer. To think otherwise is to put forth the idea that We the People are no good. That is the essence of the ideology of the Left that got us into the mess we are in. I think We the People never lost sight of who we are, we just got fooled into believing that the people who claimed they were representing us, as one of us, actually were and are doing no such thing.

I want my representatives in government to be able to look me in the eye and say, "I'm you" ; and mean it.

JB
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
If they just keep cutting taxes lower and lower, eventually people will have enough money in their pocket to pay for their own liver transplant. It's not that expensive, if you really want it, and are willing to work for it.You're starting to get it.

Or, maybe we shouldn't spend $70 million to create or save 7.6 jobs or maybe we shouldn't pay $5,000 to change one lightbulb or maybe we shouldn't spend hundreds of thousands of taxpayer stimulus dollars to see if men in Africa wash their dicks after sex. Maybe????????????????????????????????????

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I think it is very worthwhile examining why certain procedures are so expensive. I can assure you that the reasons are legion and none of them are because we don't pay enough taxes. Tort reform, the scrutiny that austerity brings ("oh, you will only pay that much? I forgot, we have a special on this procedure right now"), and a plethora of other factors could fix this shit.

There is not a family or business that does not understand that if you don't have the money you can't pay, so you eat rice and beans, or run your business on a shoestring. Likewise, if you are selling a service, and yes medicine is a service, and the market will not bear what you are asking for that service, then you either lower your prices or you negotiate a price that works for buyer and seller, or you lose that customer.

Except social services are not businesses. They aren't trying to run a profit, they are trying for a different main goal, money is a sub-goal, but the main goal is getting the service to the people who need it. With a business, money is always the main goal.

The latter in this case means that certain people don't get care. That is possible, but it is equally possible that the generosity of fellow Americans will step up and, without the "middle man" of big government, take up the slack the taxes they don't have to pay allow. This scenario relies of the decency of the American people; a decency that our government does not believe we possess. I think the opposite is true. I think that we possess a level of generosity unmatched in the world. I think that we will rush in to take care of people in need, BUT we will also expect evidence of true need; something "our" government fails at miserably.

Charity is not enough to solve our problems. It makes people feel good to give, but that's not enough to cure the cause of the problems themselves. People have been suffering in this country since it was founded, beaten down by the ever-evolving power structure, and this structure is self-perpetuating.

Our nation's wealth in the hands of those who have earned it,

A very sizable chunk of wealth for the Forbes top wealthiest people were inherited. Some have started from the ground up, but not many.

and distributed at the discretion of same offers the best outcome on every front whether economic, social/charity, and national good is the answer.

How does it have the best outcome? For whom?

Think about the very nature of work, a boss and an employee. At this most basic level, you can already see how their interests clash. The employee wants to maximize his own pay while the employer wants to minimize his labor cost.

Now zoom out to the macro scale, when CEO's are multi-billionaires and a huge chunk of of the population struggle paycheck to paycheck. Do you really believe that the people with wealth and power and those without it have the same interests?

The ruling ideas and common sense are that of the ruling class.

To think otherwise is to put forth the idea that We the People are no good. That is the essence of the ideology of the Left that got us into the mess we are in. I think We the People never lost sight of who we are, we just got fooled into believing that the people who claimed they were representing us, as one of us, actually were and are doing no such thing.

As opposed to people who don't even claim to represent us because we don't vote for them, even though they have more power than any congressman (with billions of dollars and possession of media outlets) to change the lives of millions of Americans.

I want my representatives in government to be able to look me in the eye and say, "I'm you" ; and mean it.

amazing. the ad is out for just a few days and everyone is just eating it allllll up