PDA

View Full Version : Eco-fascism jumps the shark: massive, epic fail!

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXQsnkuBCM&feature=player_embedded

By James Delingpole Environment Last updated: October 1st, 2010

I predicted this morning that No Pressure – Richard Curtis’s spectacularly ill-judged eco-propaganda movie for the 10:10 campaign – would prove a disastrous own goal for the green movement.

But what I could never have imagined was how quickly public disgust – even among greenies – would reach such a pitch that the campaigners would be compelled to withdraw it from the internet.

That, at any rate, is what they keep trying to do – cancelling it whenever it appears on You Tube, pulling it from their campaign website and so on.

Unfortunately their efforts are being frustrated by people on the sceptical side of the climate debate, who keep peskily insisting on reposting the video where everyone can view it. And rightly so. With No Pressure, the environmental movement has revealed the snarling, wicked, homicidal misanthropy beneath its cloak of gentle, bunny-hugging righteousness.

I don’t think any of us will ever be able to look at another Richard Curtis movie in quite the same way ever again. It may even be that we will now never, ever be able to enjoy another episode of the Vicar of Dibley, because all we’ll be able to think about is Dawn French with a Panzerfaust beneath her cassock ready to blast off the heads of any members of her congregation who don’t believe in Man Made Global Warming. What a sad day this is for us all.

PS If you want to register your disgust, a commenter from the previous blog Reconstruct has some helpful suggestions:

Now you’ve seen the video, prepare not to be surprised that your taxes helped pay for it.

The 10:10 Campaign is supported by:
ActionAid (Govt of UK 2nd largest funder in 2009);
The Carbon Trust (surely #1 on the list of quangos-to-go);
The Energy Saving Trust.

Be not surprised that The Guardian is their ‘media partner’.

On the other hand, if you’re outraged by the video, you might be interested to know that they also have a small number of genuine commercial sponsors: O2, Sony and Kyocera all have helped fund the 10:10 Campaign.

I suggest that the first thing to do is to make your outrage known to O2, Sony and Kyocera, suggesting that their commercial interests might not be furthered by funding murderous nazi will-fulfillment propaganda.

UPDATE:

Here’s the excuse posted by the 10:10 organisers on the Guardian website.

Sorry.
Today we put up a mini-movie about 10:10 and climate change called ‘No Pressure’.

With climate change becoming increasingly threatening, and decreasingly talked about in the media, we wanted to find a way to bring this critical issue back into the headlines whilst making people laugh. We were therefore delighted when Britain’s leading comedy writer, Richard Curtis – writer of Blackadder, Four Weddings, Notting Hill and many others – agreed to write a short film for the 10:10 campaign. Many people found the resulting film extremely funny, but unfortunately some didn’t and we sincerely apologise to anybody we have offended.

As a result of these concerns we’ve taken it off our website.

We’d like to thank the 50+ film professionals and 40+ actors and extras and who gave their time and equipment to the film for free. We greatly value your contributions and the tremendous enthusiasm and professionalism you brought to the project.

At 10:10 we’re all about trying new and creative ways of getting people to take action on climate change. Unfortunately in this instance we missed the mark. Oh well, we live and learn.

Onwards and upwards,

Eugenie, Franny, Daniel, Lizzie and the whole 10:10 team

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100056586/eco-fascism-jumps-the-shark-massive-epic-fail/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I love that line about how "the environmental movement has revealed the snarling, wicked, homicidal misanthropy beneath its cloak of gentle, bunny-hugging righteousness."

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
People who work for clean air and clean drinking water should have never let the Climate Change guys appropriate the environmental movement. It was a monstrous mistake.

Speedy
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Fuck every last one of them. I actually go out of my way to buy the least carbon efficient thing I can whenever I can. If a product touts itself as being "green" in anyway, I do not buy it.

NJCardFan
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
How about this video, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH71XCmsbCc

And to think that the left considers conservatives and the Tea Parties extreme.

FlaGator
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Perhaps some parodies using minorities or gays as the ones exploding and I wonder how funny the writer would feel it is.

Molon Labe
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
People who work for clean air and clean drinking water should have never let the Climate Change guys appropriate the environmental movement. It was a monstrous mistake.

Tell me who's AGAINST clean air and drinking water.

Stop acting like it's a select group on the left who had their movement hijacked. Enviro weenies are what they are.

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM

We'll see, I suppose. (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-2995)

Should I find previous votes on the issue for you?

djones520
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM

It's a Cap and Trade amendment. And there was no vote there. It's still in committee.

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
It's a Cap and Trade amendment. And there was no vote there. It's still in committee.

Yes. That is why I said, we'll see.

And the Senate amendment is NOX and SOX. You may be thinking of the House bill.

Edit: And Mercury. NOX cap and trade has been around since 1999, I believe, and is considered successful.

Gingersnap
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, clean air is pretty much my professional life and I don't consider every idea out of the EPA to be scientifically sound, by any means. The turf wars and political in-fighting that goes on behind the scenes to create EPA regulatory proposals are nothing short of shocking.

Everybody is for clean air and clean water. Not everybody agrees that political and quasi-political bodies are always the appropriate judges of best practices. Disagreeing with the method or disagreeing on the nature of the problem doesn't mean people are for wholesale environmental destruction.

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Everybody is for clean air and clean water. Not everybody agrees that political and quasi-political bodies are always the appropriate judges of best practices.

What do you suggest other than regulatory bodies under the authority of democratic governing instutions?

Disagreeing with the method or disagreeing on the nature of the problem doesn't mean people are for wholesale environmental destruction.

Some of my best friends are Spotted Owls ......

Wei Wu Wei
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
What do you suggest other than regulatory bodies under the authority of democratic governing instutions?

Just let the Invisible Hand take care of it. If we want clean air and water we'll just have to figure out the right thing to buy.

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Stop acting like it's a select group on the left who had their movement hijacked. Enviro weenies are what they are.
Why, we all are. Don't you know that conservatives neither breathe air nor drink water? We just live on the blood of virgins, according to the left. :rolleyes:

Yes. That is why I said, we'll see.

And the Senate amendment is NOX and SOX. You may be thinking of the House bill.

Edit: And Mercury. NOX cap and trade has been around since 1999, I believe, and is considered successful.
I'm sure that the people who run the programs consider them quite successful. The people who have to live with the regulations? Not so much.

Cap and trade does nothing about clean air and water. It's a cash cow and power grab for bureaucracy.

CueSi
10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Why, we all are. Don't you know that conservatives neither breathe air nor drink water? We just live on the blood of virgins, according to the left. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that the people who run the programs consider them quite successful. The people who have to live with the regulations? Not so much.

Cap and trade does nothing about clean air and water. It's a cash cow and power grab for bureaucracy.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cringe when you said that. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel)

~QC

noonwitch
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure about AGW/climate change. I'm not a scientist.

I do know ads like this are not going to have the desired effect. Viewers will just be pissed off about them-either that their intelligence is insulted to that degree, or that their small children saw this ad and were scared.

It makes sense to me to reduce pollution for a lot of reasons, whether AGW is real or not. Think about the difference the switch to unleaded gas has made in air quality, if you are old enough to remember big city air in the 60s and 70s. We all want clean water, no one wants to see polluters dumping into our lakes and rivers, and finding a cleaner energy source than oil that is also renewable will help us free ourselves from dependency on oil from unstable nations. I don't know if that ad will help with any of those goals.

Molon Labe
10-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Oh geez......you're going to tout a U.S. congressional bill titled "clean air and water act".

If you believe that you'll probably believe that voting against health care meant you want old and poor people to die too. :rolleyes:

Yeah...and If you read the principle statement for PFTNAC (http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm), you'll probably believe they are for peace and prosperity around the world too.

"Ministry of Peace" anyone? LOL!

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or to cringe when you said that. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel)

~QC

No, I hadn't thought of going there. It's a reference to Countess Elspeth Bathory, the countess who believed that bathing in the blood of virgins kept her eternally young.

Several years ago, somebody mentioned that I looked younger than my age. I told him that I ate right, exercised, and bathed in the blood of virgins, and it became a running joke with us. I eventually came out with the idea of Bathory cosmetics, with one of those infomercials where a group of women sit around talking about wrinkles, and then one of them brings out the product. They're all apalled until one of them applies the cream and her wrinkles vanish on-camera, at which point the others have to choose between their vanity and their revulsion and moral scruples. Guess which wins?:D

CueSi
10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
No, I hadn't thought of going there. It's a reference to Countess Elspeth Bathory, the countess who believed that bathing in the blood of virgins kept her eternally young.

Several years ago, somebody mentioned that I looked younger than my age. I told him that I ate right, exercised, and bathed in the blood of virgins, and it became a running joke with us. I eventually came out with the idea of Bathory cosmetics, with one of those infomercials where a group of women sit around talking about wrinkles, and then one of them brings out the product. They're all apalled until one of them applies the cream and her wrinkles vanish on-camera, at which point the others have to choose between their vanity and their revulsion and moral scruples. Guess which wins?:D

You saw the sign post that said, "you are now entering wrongville" and stepped on the gas , and probably while driving this... huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRu7KFdILmQ

I can't believe I went there. :p

~QC

Constitutionally Speaking
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Well, clean air is pretty much my professional life and I don't consider every idea out of the EPA to be scientifically sound, by any means. The turf wars and political in-fighting that goes on behind the scenes to create EPA regulatory proposals are nothing short of shocking.

Everybody is for clean air and clean water. Not everybody agrees that political and quasi-political bodies are always the appropriate judges of best practices. Disagreeing with the method or disagreeing on the nature of the problem doesn't mean people are for wholesale environmental destruction.

Exactly.

The left believes that government control is the be-all - end-all solution to everything. It isn't and quite often (dare I say USUALLY) is counter - productive to the goal they are trying to accomplish. To say nothing of the enormous burden the government crap puts on our businesses - it literally drives them overseas.

Odysseus
10-05-2010, 06:31 PM
You saw the sign post that said, "you are now entering wrongville" and stepped on the gas , and probably while driving this... huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRu7KFdILmQ

~QC

I love that movie! Specifically that scene. Lovitz is hysterical.

But, I appear to have inadvertantly stumbled into a situation that no Jew would willingly go into. Sort of like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NLM_WQWUe0

Arroyo_Doble
10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Exactly.

The left believes that government control is the be-all - end-all solution to everything. It isn't and quite often (dare I say USUALLY) is counter - productive to the goal they are trying to accomplish. To say nothing of the enormous burden the government crap puts on our businesses - it literally drives them overseas.

To places with little or no evironmental regulation. You know .... shit holes.

FlaGator
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
To places with little or no evironmental regulation. You know .... shit holes.

You mean China?

Phillygirl
10-05-2010, 09:05 PM
You mean China?

I thought he meant San Francisco.

CueSi
10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I thought he meant San Francisco.

Oh yeah... :D

~QC

m00
10-05-2010, 10:08 PM

Oh, totally (assuming this is snark-free. :D )

I like national and state parks, I like clean air and water. I think it's appropriate for the government to enact laws which restrict pollution damage to the air, water, and soil. In my mind, this is an extension of "my freedoms extent to the point where they impact your freedoms." Factories should not be free to dump their waste into the air I breathe and the water I drink, and in the soil which grows the food I eat. But seriously, today's environmental movement is about (cue music) CLIMATE CHANGE! And I just can't get on board with that. I think it's complete nonsense. Meanwhile, our lakes ain't getting any cleaner.