PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Icons you hate yourself for loving...

CueSi
10-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm watching the movie Frida, with Selma Hayek. . .and , YES, Salma Hayek's hawtness does make up for it, but in Elementary school I loved the colorful weird imagery of Khalo's paintings.And the movie is the same way too.

Go ahead and say it. . . Frida Khalo is a Commie, and radicals and baby killing feminists love her (despite her real desire for a child that sadly she never had). I know this.

Don't care.THE COLORS, MAN. . . THE COLORS. . .

http://www.fiftyisthenew.com/wp-content/uploads/frida_kahlo_self_portrait.jpg

Anyone else love some one liberals hold dear?

~QC

m00
10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_glPpyX-cRrg/TDyaxeSivbI/AAAAAAAADcQ/93dXjJ7RwNw/S760/grateful_dead-steal_your_face-sailfastchicago.jpg

noonwitch
10-06-2010, 09:00 AM
The mural at the Detroit Institute of Art painted by Kahlo's lover, Diego Rivera, is an awesome feat. It covers all four walls of one of the courtyards.

www.dia.org/art/rivera-court.aspx

Odysseus
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Don't care.THE COLORS, MAN. . . THE COLORS. . .

~QC

This is why you weren't supposed to take the brown acid... :D

I feel your pain on this one. I have the same problem with a lot of entertainers, especially actors and musicians. Bruce Springsteen, for example (although he's made it easier on me by producing much crappier music since his last decent album, which I consider to have been Born in the USA, so I haven't had to keep up with him, and get less exposure to his wingnut views). In fact, it's hard to find a pop act from the last two decades that hasn't disappointed me with their views or antics offstage. OTOH, I'm often pleasantly surprised to find out that an act that I like is conservative (the Ramones, for example). The real tough one for me is Wagner. He's not a lefty, but he was a virulent anti-semite, and it's tough for me to reconcile how much I enjoy his music with my knowledge of his hateful past. Does that count?

Oh, and now that William Shatner is becoming a liberal scold, I'm kind of bummed. James Kirk was a superbly drawn image of a combat leader, and I learned a lot from his demeanor as a young lieutenant (my platoon sergeant had no idea why I kept referring to our first ARTEP as the Kobiashi Maru :D), and it's hard to imagine that the guy who made that character live is now just another Palin-bashing Hollywood stereotype.

NJCardFan
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
http://static.blogcritics.org/09/11/16/119191/the-beatles65.jpg

noonwitch
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
This is why you weren't supposed to take the brown acid... :D

I feel your pain on this one. I have the same problem with a lot of entertainers, especially actors and musicians. Bruce Springsteen, for example (although he's made it easier on me by producing much crappier music since his last decent album, which I consider to have been Born in the USA, so I haven't had to keep up with him, and get less exposure to his wingnut views). In fact, it's hard to find a pop act from the last two decades that hasn't disappointed me with their views or antics offstage. OTOH, I'm often pleasantly surprised to find out that an act that I like is conservative (the Ramones, for example). The real tough one for me is Wagner. He's not a lefty, but he was a virulent anti-semite, and it's tough for me to reconcile how much I enjoy his music with my knowledge of his hateful past. Does that count?

Oh, and now that William Shatner is becoming a liberal scold, I'm kind of bummed. James Kirk was a superbly drawn image of a combat leader, and I learned a lot from his demeanor as a young lieutenant (my platoon sergeant had no idea why I kept referring to our first ARTEP as the Kobiashi Maru :D), and it's hard to imagine that the guy who made that character live is now just another Palin-bashing Hollywood stereotype.

Wagner is a tough one. It's not my favorite music, but the stories that the Ring cycle are based upon are pretty awesome-Valkries, Rhine Maidens protecting gold, Siegfried, etc.

For what it's worth, I know some jewish opera fans who are also torn by Wagner, because they love the music.

ralph wiggum
10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
http://static.blogcritics.org/09/11/16/119191/the-beatles65.jpg

Yeah, I was going to say that as well. Especially Paul, since he's still alive & being political.

djones520
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a hard time with this one. I try to keep politics solely to politics, but I generally find myself unable to stand hollywood libtards. I won't watch Sean Penn or George Clooney movies anymore. Though, I'm still waiting for a Clooney movie worth watching. :rolleyes:

System of A Down is probably the best thing I can think of.

noonwitch
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I was going to say that as well. Especially Paul, since he's still alive & being political.

On the up side, Paul's not an american citizen so he can only do so much damage. Plus, he wrote "Live and Let Die", which is an awesome song (even if the GNR cover is better than Paul's original recording).

Odysseus
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Wagner is a tough one. It's not my favorite music, but the stories that the Ring cycle are based upon are pretty awesome-Valkries, Rhine Maidens protecting gold, Siegfried, etc.

For what it's worth, I know some jewish opera fans who are also torn by Wagner, because they love the music.

I feel their pain.

The other thing that kills me are comic books. Most of the writers at DC or Marvel are on the left, so their biases creep into the comics. A few months ago, Ed Brubaker actually had Captain America watching a tea party rally, which was depicted as a bunch of racists, which basically guaranteed that I won't be buying his run on the book.

warpig
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/31391997/Hunter%2BS%2BThompson%2Bhunter.jpg

Hunter S. Thompson............don't ask me why.

CueSi
10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

This sounds bad, but I thought he wrote a REALLY awesome sucide note and titled it... "Football Season is Over".

Here it is:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."[

~QC

noonwitch
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM

He was a hell of a writer and he loved guns.

I liked it that Johnny Depp and his other friends shot his ashes out of a canon, per his request.

Constitutionally Speaking
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I have to confess my love for the Beatles. Despite the disgust I have for their politics, they could write a catchy tune.

BadCat
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I used to really like Salma Hayek (just for her looks), until I saw her boobs in Frida.

She has TERRIBLE nipples, ugly boobs.

Totally scratched he off my 'list'.

Kay
10-06-2010, 08:07 PM
John Cusack for me. I loved him from the time I first saw him as the freshman nerd in Sixteen Candles many years ago and he just got better with age. But then he became one of the biggest libtarded mouthed hollywood idiot raving loones out there. :(

NJCardFan
10-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a hard time with this one. I try to keep politics solely to politics, but I generally find myself unable to stand hollywood libtards. I won't watch Sean Penn or George Clooney movies anymore. Though, I'm still waiting for a Clooney movie worth watching. :rolleyes:

System of A Down is probably the best thing I can think of.

To be honest, I like Clooney. Penn, not so much. I even have a bit of respect for Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. They're liberals yes but at least they have the nads to not talk trash in other countries. As for good Clooney movies, Brother, Where Art Thou was great as was Ocean's 11.

m00
10-06-2010, 11:47 PM
To be honest, I like Clooney. Penn, not so much. I even have a bit of respect for Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. They're liberals yes but at least they have the nads to not talk trash in other countries. As for good Clooney movies, Brother, Where Art Thou was great as was Ocean's 11.

Yeah, well if artists weren't crazy they probably wouldn't be good artists. :D

Odysseus
10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, well if artists weren't crazy they probably wouldn't be good artists.
I don't buy that. There have been lots of sane artists over the years whose greatness is not is dispute. The whole idea of the artist as "rebel" and iconoclast is a recent invention (remember that artists also produced the icons in the first place), which started with the impressionists, who were rebelling against a very stuffy arts establishment in France, and came to fruition with the post-impressionist abstract movements in which there were no objective standards by which to evaluate the "art" produced by the likes of Jackson Pollack, with the result that "acting like and artist" became as much a part of the tools used to market art as the work itself.

But when you think about great art, do you think about Abstract Expressionism, Dadaism or Fauvism, or do you think of the Renaissance, the Baroque, the Pre-Raphaelites, the Neo-Classissists and the realists? Do you picture this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Newman-Onement_1.jpg/70px-Newman-Onement_1.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/Kline_no2.jpg/220px-Kline_no2.jpg
Or this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Mona_Lisa.jpeg/220px-Mona_Lisa.jpeg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/David-Oath_of_the_Horatii-1784.jpg/220px-David-Oath_of_the_Horatii-1784.jpg

m00
10-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't buy that. There have been lots of sane artists over the years whose greatness is not is dispute

You don't think da Vinci and Michelangelo were considered deviants by the Church, and by civil authorities? They most certainly were. Off the top of my head, da Vinci was charged with sodomy and Michelangelo was highly offensive to senior clergy, especially because he painted religious images with nude figures. The only reason either were tolerated was because they were considered good artists.

Odysseus
10-09-2010, 01:08 PM
You don't think da Vinci and Michelangelo were considered deviants by the Church, and by civil authorities? They most certainly were. Off the top of my head, da Vinci was charged with sodomy and Michelangelo was highly offensive to senior clergy, especially because he painted religious images with nude figures. The only reason either were tolerated was because they were considered good artists.

Da Vinci was charged, but not convicted, and it was very early in his career when the charge was made. In fact, Da Vinci was extremely discreet in his personal relationships, possibly owing to his wanting to protect his reputation after having beaten the sodomy charge. It also should be pointed out that false denunciations were quite common at that time especially via anonymous reports by one's enemies, and in his extremely long career after Florence, he was never again accused of any impropriety. In fact, Da Vinci's life was held up as the epitome of what a Renaissance man should be, both by the civil and church authorities. Michelangelo mostly ran afoul of the church for being gay, although he was discreet about it, especially by modern standards, but he was the exception. Most of the great artists have been perfectly sane, rational men. Rembrandt, Donatello, Raphael, J. L. David, Leighton, pretty much all of the French and English painters of the Enlightenment period, were all dully conventional away from the canvas. In music, Mozart was something of an eccentric, but Bach, Handl, the Strausses, were all very conventional.

The crazy artist stereotype served the agenda of those who wanted to justify their craziness, rather than create great art.