PDA

View Full Version : Scottsdale man who posed as Marine gets 7.5 years in prison

Gingersnap
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Scottsdale man who posed as Marine gets 7.5 years in prison

by Jose Zavala - Oct. 5, 2010 03:14 PM
The Arizona Republic

A Scottsdale man who posed as a highly decorated Marine for several years was sentenced Tuesday to 7 1/2 years in prison, according to the Arizona Attorney General's Office.

John W. Rodriguez, 31 was sentenced in Maricopa Country Superior Court on charges of forgery, fraudulent schemes and presentation of a false instrument for filing. Along with prison time, the sentence includes four years of probation upon his release.

Man who posed as decorated Marine convicted of fraud

Between 2005 and 2010, Rodriguez falsely represented himself as a Marine who was honored with a variety of prestigious medals, according to Molly E. Edwards, press secretary for the Arizona Attorney General's Office.

Dan Ryan, a former Marine and FBI agent, first came in contact with Rodriguez at a Republican committee meeting in 2008. He noticed Rodriguez wearing a service uniform with some of the military branch's highest honors, including the Navy Cross. The Navy Cross is the second highest award for Marines and sailors.

"My first reaction was, 'This guy's a stud,' " Ryan said. "Then I looked a little more and thought, 'Something's going on here.' I'm very, very sensitive about the Navy Cross. I happen to have written one of the citations for the Marine who was killed right next to me in 1967 in Vietnam in a firefight."

Liar pic at the link.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/05/20101005scottsdale-man-fake-marine-sentenced-abrk.html#ixzz11dKTJ7t2

Big Guy
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I hope he gets his ass handed to him in Prison.

namvet
10-06-2010, 10:11 PM
ive seen a lot of these fakes and posers on forums. caught em red handed

NJCardFan
10-07-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't think prison will do. How about making join the Marines? Make him go through basic training. The DI's would looooove to have a go at him. Then he can do the 4 years or whatever and he's free to go. I can guarantee he'll have a lot more respect for the guys and gals he made a mockery of.

namvet
10-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't think prison will do. How about making join the Marines? Make him go through basic training. The DI's would looooove to have a go at him. Then he can do the 4 years or whatever and he's free to go. I can guarantee he'll have a lot more respect for the guys and gals he made a mockery of.

they put him in with other marines and he's dead

Teddy Kennedy
11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
At the Marine birthday party we have every year we caught a poser this year, he barely made it out of the place alive.

PoliCon
11-28-2010, 12:03 PM
and yet when a member of the political class does this - it's excused and he gets "elected" to congress. :rolleyes:

mica
11-28-2010, 09:23 PM
A punk like that, I am sure he will end up someones girlfriend in prison.

These fakers just don't understand when they run their mouth, stuff doesn't add up.

Teddy Kennedy
11-28-2010, 09:40 PM
A punk like that, I am sure he will end up someones girlfriend in prison.

These fakers just don't understand when they run their mouth, stuff doesn't add up.

It adds up to their ass in a sling. Anyone that's ever served can pick out a poser in a heartbeat.

CueSi
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Bad. Idea. It seems like a cool retribution, but that would result in serious pain.

~QC

Odysseus
11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Here's the face to go with the infamy:
http://i.azcentral.com/i/sized/3/0/D/e298/j350/PHP4CABA41F97D03.jpg

ive seen a lot of these fakes and posers on forums. caught em red handed
What were their DU names?

At the Marine birthday party we have every year we caught a poser this year, he barely made it out of the place alive.
If he was wearing decorations, he was committing a federal crime. You should have detained him for the FBI and let them throw the book at him.

and yet when a member of the political class does this - it's excused and he gets "elected" to congress. :rolleyes:
Usually, the political class exagerates their service, rather than making it up completely, which eliminates the criminality of it. Case in point was the Connecticutt race in which Blumenthal, who did serve during the Vietnam era, but did not go to Vietnam, claimed that he had, but never actually wore any decorations or otherwise tried to defraud anyone.

I hope he gets his ass handed to him in Prison.
I'm sure that it will be handed back to him after it has been passed around.

Teddy Kennedy
11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
He wasn't in uniform. We have a cake cutting cermony where the oldest vet serves a piece of cake to the youngest member in attendance.

Ole gunny asked a few casual questions and the poser couldn't answer.
To compound matters we recently lost this fine marine barely two weeks earlier, so emotions were high.
http://www.marinechat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=196690

Odysseus
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
He wasn't in uniform. We have a cake cutting cermony where the oldest vet serves a piece of cake to the youngest member in attendance.

Ole gunny asked a few casual questions and the poser couldn't answer.
To compound matters we recently lost this fine marine barely two weeks earlier, so emotions were high.
http://www.marinechat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=196690

Sorry for your loss. He seemed like a good guy. Semper Fi.

Teddy Kennedy
11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry for your loss. He seemed like a good guy. Semper Fi.

He was One helluva man. The world is a poorer place because of his loss.

Thank you sir, for your kind words. I shall not forget them, and I will pass them on to his friends.

Odysseus
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
He was One helluva man. The world is a poorer place because of his loss.

Thank you sir, for your kind words. I shall not forget them, and I will pass them on to his friends.

Thanik you. Please extend my condolences.