PDA

View Full Version : New York City Cracks Down on Sodas Being Bought with Food Stamps

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 11:34 AM
New York City Cracks Down on Sodas Being Bought with Food Stamps

Updated: Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 9:06 AM EDT

By Suzanne Sataline

(The Wall Street Journal) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Gov. David Paterson have asked the federal government to bar New York City food-stamp recipients from using the benefit to buy sugary drinks, in an effort to determine if the move would decrease obesity and diabetes problems, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

The request, sent late Wednesday to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), could affect an estimated 1.7 million city residents who receive food stamps. As much as $135 million in federal nutrition benefits is used to buy sugar-sweetened drinks, the mayor's office said.

A USDA official acknowledged that such a letter had been received from New York officials.

Food-stamp users cannot use benefits to buy alcohol and cigarettes. The request asks that the USDA allow city officials to have two years to assess if sugary-drink purchases drop, as well as problems associated with diabetes and obesity, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The proposal would not affect the total benefits received, she said.

"In spite of the great gains we've made over the past eight years in making our communities healthier, there are still two areas where we're losing ground -- obesity and diabetes," Bloomberg said in a statement.

Nearly 40 percent of city public-school students in kindergarten through eighth grade are overweight or obese, and the numbers are higher for Hispanic children. Poorer children -- the primary beneficiaries of the federal food-stamp program -- are more likely to be overweight, and the link between obesity and socioeconomic status has become stronger in the past two decades, the mayor's office said. A child who consumes one sugary drink a day has a 60 percent higher risk of obesity than those who do not, the mayor's office said.

Remember when the lefties were so horrified about government in the bedroom? Looks it's all over the house now. :p

My Fox NY (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/news/nyc-cracks-down-on-sodas-bought-with-food-stamps-dpgonc-20101007-fc_9995273)

NJCardFan
10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I really don't have a problem with this. If you are getting government money then the government has a right to dictate how it's spent. I think this should be happening all over. I cringe when I look at these moochers in the grocery store with chips, soda, ice cream, and other junk in their cart and paying with food stamps.

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I wonder what would happen if food stamps were restricted to fruit, produce, meat, dairy (not ice cream), and staples like noodles, rice, and flour?

I know there was a big effort this summer to get food stamp people to use their cards at local farmers' markets. They could get basically $2 dollars of food for $1 dollar on their cards. It was a huge bust. :(

noonwitch
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I really don't have a problem with this. If you are getting government money then the government has a right to dictate how it's spent. I think this should be happening all over. I cringe when I look at these moochers in the grocery store with chips, soda, ice cream, and other junk in their cart and paying with food stamps.

Not only that, if the government is providing them with food stamps, they are also getting Medicaid services. Diabetic kids have lots of medical needs, that are costly both to the kids and to those of us who are paying for them.

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Not only that, if the government is providing them with food stamps, they are also getting Medicaid services. Diabetic kids have lots of medical needs, that are costly both to the kids and to those of us who are paying for them.

You've nicely hit on the justification for the creeping intrusion of the food police. Expect a lot more of this kind of thinking in the future. I remember when the smokers were getting booted out of everywhere, I said then that the porkers would be next.

Molon Labe
10-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Yep.. give the government power over your life and they get to tell you what when where and how.

Odysseus
10-07-2010, 06:10 PM
It strikes me as a trivial bit of fussing, but at least they are acting in accordance with the intent of the program, which is to provide access to nutrition, as opposed to junk food. Personally, I think that they'd be better off just giving them surplus food, but that's neither here nor there. It's the kind of trivial pettifogging that you get with government that sees its mandate as having no limits, and it brings up something that happened to me today at lunch. I got into a conversation with a former enlisted Soldier who had gotten popped last night in Killeen on an old traffic warrant. While he was sitting in the lockup, fuming, another detainee told him that he could beat his story. It seems that he had been walking the wrong way on a one-way street (apparently, in Killeen, you have to face the oncoming traffic if you walk in the street) and was detained for jaywalking. During the stop, they checked his record and ended up arresting him on an old warrant for, get this, one overdue library book. He was held overnight. The two of them were joking about how funny it would be if they were still in the army and had to call up their First Sergeant to bail them out, given the charges. I pointed out that it's worse than that, since any arrest of a Solider is a CCIR, and would have to be reported up the chain. I tried to imagine being the briefing officer who had to tell the III Corps Commander that one of his Soldiers had been arrested for an overdue library book.

warpig
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM

and then get into a better car than you drive.................:mad:

Apache
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
If Obummercare goes through to its full expanse this will be our future as well...:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 10:00 PM
It's a lot more than Obamacare; it's a cultural trend that licenses intrusion in the name of efficiency. Nobody behind these measures ever even tries to convince people that they might be personally better off at a normal weight or if they gave up smoking or whatever but they do hammer home the "societal costs" of non-correct behavior (in this area, not in sex).

They gave up talking about the personal benefits because large numbers of people shrewdly realized that it was more fun to have fun under 70 years of age than it was to merely exist at 71 years of age. This left the do-gooders with no option other than to force people into the "right" lifestyle.

The thing is, this will get much worse before it gets much better. Expect pre-employment interviews of the near future to require health lifestyle assessments.

NJCardFan
10-08-2010, 12:09 AM
and then get into a better car than you drive.................:mad:

True story. I was in college while living at home, studying for an exam. It was an all night cram session. I decided to take a break and I drove to the PathMark(grocery store chain) which is open 24 hours for a snack. I didn't have a car so I was using my dad's station wagon to take the ride. I get to the store, get the snacks I wanted and I get in line. In front of me is this young couple and in their cart is soda, ice cream, Doritos, and other assorted junk foods. That's all they were getting. They paid with food stamps. I paid for mine and went to the parking lot and saw this couple getting into a brand spanking new pick-up truck. So new the temp tag was still in the window. That was 1986.