PDA

View Full Version : 'Sexted' Photo leads to Bullying and Suicide of girl age 13

Beefeater
10-07-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9275976

bdo2007 (1000+ posts) Thu Oct-07-10 05:44 PM
Original message
'Sexted' Photo leads to Bullying and Suicide of girl age 13

How a cell phone picture led to girl's suicide

(CNN) -- At age 13, Hope Witsell struggled in middle school. Not because her class work at Shields Middle School in Ruskin, Florida, was challenging, but because Hope was being bullied.

Her friend, Kyla Stich, told CNN that fellow students would "walk up to her and call her 'slut,' 'whore,' and they would sometimes, they would call her 'skank' and just be really cruel to her." (snip)

I'm shocked this isn't get as much attention here as other bullying cases the past few weeks. This is horrible.

Shocked? While this is terrible, SHE WASN'T QUEER so it doesn't fit the agenda. That's why it doesn't get as much attention there you MORON.

Although I think the OP knows that.

Phillygirl
10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
The story itself really is sad. Today's technology allows for the humiliation to reach far wider than it did when we were kids.

MrsSmith
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
It's a terrible story...just not news-worthy. It can't be used to push their agenda, and could backfire against the constant media storm of sexualization. Only the right (or should I say, LEFT) stories are publishable.

Carol
10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
They can gripe about it, but they are part of the problem.

While some kids are just plain dumb about such things they have been "helped along" by liberals who are all for sexualizing kids in in the early years of elementary school. For them "gay" is normal, as is "sex whenever, where ever" starting as young teenagers while they try to hide the negative and harmful consequences of it.

It's no wonder kids are confused and think it's ok to send nude pictures of themselves to others with no thought of what the consequences might be.

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 11:17 PM
It's interesting how they attempt to drag Christian efforts that oppose special treatment of homosexuals into an article about middle school bullying.

Homosexuals make up a tiny fraction of the population and most don't declare themselves until college. Witless young girls (and boys) who sext themselves number in the millions regardless of their current sexual interests. That's a much bigger problem.

For the parents to find out that a social worker enacted a self-harm "contract" with their daughter without their knowledge must just be horrifying. Most parents I know would have made arrangements to enroll the girl in a new school in another state to avoid this bullying. Living with Grandma or Uncle John wouldn't be fun but it would have averted this consequence.

Children that age are just savage. This is true despite the best efforts of their parents. Some kids just have a born mean streak and it will out until they mature enough to hide it. :(

noonwitch
10-08-2010, 09:23 AM
It's interesting how they attempt to drag Christian efforts that oppose special treatment of homosexuals into an article about middle school bullying.

Homosexuals make up a tiny fraction of the population and most don't declare themselves until college. Witless young girls (and boys) who sext themselves number in the millions regardless of their current sexual interests. That's a much bigger problem.

For the parents to find out that a social worker enacted a self-harm "contract" with their daughter without their knowledge must just be horrifying. Most parents I know would have made arrangements to enroll the girl in a new school in another state to avoid this bullying. Living with Grandma or Uncle John wouldn't be fun but it would have averted this consequence.

Children that age are just savage. This is true despite the best efforts of their parents. Some kids just have a born mean streak and it will out until they mature enough to hide it. :(

Kids who are considered gay by their peers, even if they aren't gay, are just one group of kids who are bullied by peers. There are plenty of others.

The social worker thing bothers me, too. It would be one thing if the girl had sought counseling and asked the social worker not to talk to her parents, then it would fall under confidentiality, which a social worker has to respect to a certain degree. But the school obviously was having the worker reach out to the girl, which means even if the social worker was bound by confidentiality and might not have told the parents the specifics of what she talked about with their daughter, the teacher or principal involved should have contacted the parents to tell them that they were referring their daughter to the social worker, and why they were doing so.

My guidance counselor was so untrustworthy. I talked to her about a problem once, not even a major one, and she called my parents. I never talked to her again, except when I had to complete my schedule each semester.

hampshirebrit
10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
The story itself really is sad. Today's technology allows for the humiliation to reach far wider than it did when we were kids.

There is such an easy answer. It looks a lot like this:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/3/e/7/1/119709197585381818TzeenieWheenie_Power_On_Off_Swit ch_red_2.svg.thumb.png

Its name is IEEE 1621, aka switch the fucker off. It saves a lot of hassle.

Arroyo_Doble
10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Children that age are just savage. (

People are savage, Gingersnap. Why wouldn't their children model that?