PDA

View Full Version : Study: Your Weight Affects Your Salary (Thin Women, Big Men Win)

Gingersnap
10-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Study: Your Weight Affects Your Salary

October 7, 2010 12:19 PM

A new study found that thinner women had fatter paychecks than average-sized or overweight women.

NEW YORK (CBS 2) Ė In a country plagued by obesity, eating disorders, and the all-too-common pressure to simply look good, a new study finds that your waist size can play a role in your wallet size.

The study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, shows that skinny women tend to have fatter paychecks than average or overweight women.

The same canít be said for men, however. Larger men are shown to have larger paychecks than their thinner brethren, according to the study. In fact, as a manís weight increases, so does his salary ó until the point of obesity, when his salary then drops.

The previous wisdom was that overweight affected both sexes negatively in terms of career and that normal weighted women earned more than their excessively thin counterparts.

I wonder if the older studies reflected a generational "thinness" among older female workers who wouldn't have benefited from second wave feminism in the office. :confused:

CBS (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/07/study-your-weight-affects-your-salary/)

Arroyo_Doble
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, that sucks.

I am going to McDonald's for lunch.

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 03:26 PM
This is getting some airplay now. I have to admit that in competitive fields, overweight women are at a disadvantage - from other women. While I've never heard a fellow male manager remark on any woman's weight, I've heard it more than once from other female managers.

The idea seems to be that weight issues betray other issues such a lack of control, poor personal image, laziness, and a lack of drive or ambition.

Everything they said about overweight men in 1970. ;)

m00
10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I get the fat man thing. It's an understandable correlation.

You succeed in business by working every minute of your day, or thinking about work, or scribbling down notes for yourself when you get back to the office. One side effect of this is you don't have time to exercise or eat right.