View Full Version : Glenn Beck...

CueSi
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Is more unwell than we thought. :(

GLENN BECK REVEALS HE’LL UNDERGO MEDICAL TESTS FOR COMBINATION OF CONDITIONS

October 8, 2010 at 10:59am by Scott Baker

The Blaze.com

EXCERPT:

This morning on his radio program, Glenn Beck discussed in more detail some of the physical challenges he’s been facing. Glenn told his audience that he will be taking several days off next week to undergo tests at a hospital “out west.”

On recent broadcasts he’s discussed that he has been having problems with feeling in his hands and feet. Today he explained that “small fiber” issues may be involved but that testing will provide more understanding. “We don’t even know what all of the symptoms are at this point,“ he explained adding that he believes ”physical, mental and spiritual are all tied.”

Glenn also said the listeners may have noticed a change in how he sounds on the air. He said he’s been having problems with his vocal chords and that doctors will also be examining this problem.

Glenn talked at length about how the bond he has with his radio audience has been built on a foundation of disclosure and that he felt it was important for him to share as much information as he could, “So that you will understand my mindset.”

Story Here (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/glenn-beck-reveals-hell-undergo-medical-tests-for-combination-of-problems/)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Poor guy. :(

~QC

djones520
10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Expect the DUmp to be all atwitter.

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Oddly, I don't usually have an opportunity to listen to Beck very often but I caught this show. He's taking Monday and Tuesday off to travel to a medical center for some extensive testing.

He also spoke about his belief that at least part of his health issues are due to a kind of mental/spiritual stress related to his commission. His words were very moving and his comments about how you edge dangerously close to becoming whatever you immerse yourself in hit home for me.

I wish him all the best and will keep him in my prayers.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
He really has this complex, like he thinks he's the next Thomas Paine or MLK.

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
He really has this complex, like he thinks he's the next Thomas Paine or MLK.

I don't know about that. Who knows what Paine or King would have sounded like if either of them had a weekly radio show for several hours? Neither of them lived in our "sharing" culture - what if they had? Talking for an hour extemporaneously is much, much different from writing essays or delivering prepared speeches.

I think it's unfair to compare any talker, right or left, with people from the past who worked within the constraints of essays, real debates, or speeches. The media are different and so the personal exposure is different.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't know about that. Who knows what Paine or King would have sounded like if either of them had a weekly radio show for several hours? Neither of them lived in our "sharing" culture - what if they had? Talking for an hour extemporaneously is much, much different from writing essays or delivering prepared speeches.

I think it's unfair to compare any talker, right or left, with people from the past who worked within the constraints of essays, real debates, or speeches. The media are different and so the personal exposure is different.

I just think he's a little melodramatic and has this savior complex.
I mean he mentioned how he was wearing a bulletproof vest at the 8/28 rally.
Or his crying. Or his hysteria saying how he's put his life in danger.
He takes this shit just a bit too seriously, or plays it up. And he plays the conspiracy theorist angle way too much, bordering on Alex Jones territory at times.

Rockntractor
10-08-2010, 05:46 PM
He takes this shit just a bit too seriously, or plays it up. And he plays the conspiracy theorist angle way too much, bordering on Alex Jones territory at times.

Perhaps but bad shit does happen and countries do rise and fall. You re being awfully presumptuous to think that nothing terrible could ever happen to this country and every time someone warns of danger it is a conspiracy.
For that matter conspiracies do take place every day.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Perhaps but bad shit does happen and countries do rise and fall. You re being awfully presumptuous to think that nothing terrible could ever happen to this country and every time someone warns of danger it is a conspiracy.

I know this country could fall, I know terrible stuff could happen.
I just don't see enemies around every corner like he seems to. And he seems to want to tie all of those he disagrees with politically to Nazism, or compare them to such. I mean even O'Reilly and Hannity don't usually go that far.

Rockntractor
10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I know this country could fall, I know terrible stuff could happen.
I just don't see enemies around every corner like he seems to. And he seems to want to tie all of those he disagrees with politically to Nazism, or compare them to such. I mean even O'Reilly and Hannity don't usually go that far.
You don't need to believe everything you hear but listen to what is going on around you and stay ahead of the curve, that's better than getting caught in the middle and run over!

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Do you seriously doubt that Beck has received death threats? That his family has been mentioned in death threats? Heck, anybody who has mildly non-PC view and who is in the public eye has been harassed and threatened.

Beck spends a considerable amount of time debunking conspiracy theories and cautioning his audience from buying into that. He did it again today when I was listening.

You may not like his style but it's pretty typical of reformed drunks/druggies/wastrels. That's just the way they roll.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Do you seriously doubt that Beck has received death threats? That his family has been mentioned in death threats? Heck, anybody who has mildly non-PC view and who is in the public eye has been harassed and threatened.

Beck spends a considerable amount of time debunking conspiracy theories and cautioning his audience from buying into that. He did it again today when I was listening.

You may not like his style but it's pretty typical of reformed drunks/druggies/wastrels. That's just the way they roll.

I've no doubt he's gotten death threats, but I don't think that goes with just being a non-PC figure; I think every public figure has at some point received death threats. And so have Presidents. I'm sure Clinton, Bush, Obama, all got death threats or at least knew of them, yet you don't usually see Presidents complain about them, even though there's a bigger history of presidential assassinations than there is of political pundits.

Why do you say his style is typical of reformed drunks/wastrels?

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I've no doubt he's gotten death threats, but I don't think that goes with just being a non-PC figure; I think every public figure has at some point received death threats. And so have Presidents. I'm sure Clinton, Bush, Obama, all got death threats or at least knew of them, yet you don't usually see Presidents complain about them, even though there's a bigger history of presidential assassinations than there is of political pundits.

Why do you say his style is typical of reformed drunks/wastrels?

They have the Secret Service; he doesn't.

There are several talkers I listen to from time to time. Some local, some not. Those that have had serious substance abuse problems in the past tend to be more emotionally open, more "okay" with describing their feelings, and more relaxed about discussing emotions. They can come off as kind of sappy but I find them to be more credible in some ways.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
They have the Secret Service; he doesn't.

There are several talkers I listen to from time to time. Some local, some not. Those that have had serious substance abuse problems in the past tend to be more emotionally open, more "okay" with describing their feelings, and more relaxed about discussing emotions. They can come off as kind of sappy but I find them to be more credible in some ways.

I suppose.
I like the quote from the Sopranos, personally: "Whatever happened to Gary Cooper, the strong, silent type?"
There's one thing in common I've noticed about (at least my own family ) members of the WWII generation--They didn't talk much about what they felt. And they had a lot more reason to feel, seeing the things they saw on the battlefields. But they didn't talk about them, didn't cry, at least in public, and I think in some ways, they were a better, stronger generation for it. Personally, having Boomer parents, and WWII generation grandparents, I look up to the men of my family from that generation. They didn't say much and yet still were memorable people.

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I suppose.
I like the quote from the Sopranos, personally: "Whatever happened to Gary Cooper, the strong, silent type?"
There's one thing in common I've noticed about (at least my own family ) members of the WWII generation--They didn't talk much about what they felt. And they had a lot more reason to feel, seeing the things they saw on the battlefields. But they didn't talk about them, didn't cry, at least in public, and I think in some ways, they were a better, stronger generation for it. Personally, having Boomer parents, and WWII generation grandparents, I look up to the men of my family from that generation. They didn't say much and yet still were memorable people.

I'm not big on discussing various emotional states, myself - doesn't mean I don't have them. Also, I'm not a radio talker. Here again, context is important. Beck talks for a living; your Grandpa probably doesn't get paid for entertaining you with cogent insights on topical issues.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not big on discussing various emotional states, myself - doesn't mean I don't have them. Also, I'm not a radio talker. Here again, context is important. Beck talks for a living; your Grandpa probably doesn't get paid for entertaining you with cogent insights on topical issues.

I just mean in general. I think people, men especially, are more openly emotional than they once were.

Wei Wu Wei
10-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I bet stress plays a huge factor.

He's exploded in popularity over the last 2 years, going from a small time radio guy to the most talked about commentator. I watch his show and I believe he works extremely hard to do what he does, and he does it very well. It can take a toll on any man,

Wei Wu Wei
10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Words can have the power to heal and to unveil repressed truth, like in talk therapy. They also have the power to do the opposite, and for a man who talks for a living, he may be especially susceptible.

Gingersnap
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
I bet stress plays a huge factor.

He's exploded in popularity over the last 2 years, going from a small time radio guy to the most talked about commentator. I watch his show and I believe he works extremely hard to do what he does, and he does it very well. It can take a toll on any man,

I never watch his show but you are right about his profile now. He's said that his more severe symptoms have been declared "non-stress" by the docs but I can't help but think that it's a contributing factor.

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 01:35 AM
I don't watch him regularly but I like when he has guests on his show. The funny thing is, I've never heard any of his opponents debunk anything he says and the truth be told, it's kind of hard to debunk him. Did he not expose Van Jones for what he was? Believe me, if he was such the kook that the left paints him out to be, they wouldn't be so worried about him. I hope everything is OK. It could be he needs to take some real time off.