PDA

View Full Version : Obama Signs Bill Replacing ‘Mental Retardation’ With ‘Intellectual Disability’

Beefeater
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Finally Obama does something for the DUmp and the rest of his base! He's reclassifed the MORONS to make then feel better about themselves. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic again.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9281682

Kadie (1000+ posts) Fri Oct-08-10 03:49 PM
Original message
Obama Signs Bill Replacing ‘Mental Retardation’ With ‘Intellectual Disability’ - story with pics

Obama Signs Bill Replacing ‘Mental Retardation’ With ‘Intellectual Disability’
By MICHELLE DIAMENT
October 5, 2010

President Barack Obama signed legislation Tuesday requiring the federal government to replace the term “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability” in many areas of government. (snip) Blah blah blah.

I shall endeavor to use "Intellectual Disability" in place of DUmmy as much as possible, unless I won't.

Dan D. Doty
10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
fore people with disabilities, we are overjoyed :rolleyes:

More PC crap to make the Moonbats feel good. As a member of the disabled community and some one who has worked with the mentaly disabled, this new label is as useful as a g-string in snow storm.

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 12:12 AM
The funny thing is that the term mental retardation is not a pejorative term. Literally broken down means that mental abilities have been held back or retarded. There's nothing wrong with it. But now this idiot is telling medical journals how they should be written.

hampshirebrit
10-09-2010, 06:11 AM
FFS.

This is the sort of retarded PC bullshit we in the UK have had to put up with for the past 12 years. There are some encouraging signs that, with the recent change of government, the trend is starting to be reversed. It's going to take a while though ... 12 years of encrusted PC crud will take a long time to get rid of.

You better hope and work towards a better 2012 election outcome.

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Too funny.

I majored in psychology, and I remember reading in a history of psychology text about how the term "mental retardation" replaced the terms idiot, imbecile and moron for people of low IQ.

If I remember correctly, idiot was the lowest end of the low IQ scale, Imbecile was next, and moron was the brightest of the dim bulbs.

There was a certain poignancy in the example of someone who happened to be an idiot having, as a life's ambition, the overwhelming goal of becoming an imbecile.

Kinda brings a tear to one's eye. :(

I miss the good old days.

m00
10-09-2010, 10:23 AM
If I remember correctly, idiot was the lowest end of the low IQ scale, Imbecile was next, and moron was the brightest of the dim bulbs.

Where does 'dummy' fall in the spectrum?

Ree
10-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Where does 'dummy' fall in the spectrum?
Not sure...but DUmmie is lowest of the low...;)

Odysseus
10-09-2010, 01:41 PM
FFS.

This is the sort of retarded PC bullshit we in the UK have had to put up with for the past 12 years. There are some encouraging signs that, with the recent change of government, the trend is starting to be reversed. It's going to take a while though ... 12 years of encrusted PC crud will take a long time to get rid of.

You better hope and work towards a better 2012 election outcome.
Don't you mean intellectually disabled PC bullshit? Wait, sorry, that's only binding in America. In Britain, this is still retarded. Nevermind. :D

I majored in psychology, and I remember reading in a history of psychology text about how the term "mental retardation" replaced the terms idiot, imbecile and moron for people of low IQ.

Is there a term for people who deliberately dumb themselves down through miseducation? Something that describes a self-inflicted lobotomy through the strenuous application of PC dogma in lieu of thought? I wouldn't want to call a DUmmy an idiot or moron when there is a more accurate term.

hampshirebrit
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Too funny.

There was a certain poignancy in the example of someone who happened to be an idiot having, as a life's ambition, the overwhelming goal of becoming an imbecile.

Kinda brings a tear to one's eye. :(

I miss the good old days.

Post. of. the. month. Out-fucking-standing (in a good way). :D:D:D

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Post. of. the. month. Out-fucking-standing (in a good way). :D:D:D

Thanks Hamps.

They call Me Mr. Sensitivity at work. :D

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I can't stop laughing at this.

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Don't you mean intellectually disabled PC bullshit? Wait, sorry, that's only binding in America. In Britain, this is still retarded. Nevermind. :D

Is there a term for people who deliberately dumb themselves down through miseducation? Something that describes a self-inflicted lobotomy through the strenuous application of PC dogma in lieu of thought? I wouldn't want to call a DUmmy an idiot or moron when there is a more accurate term.

Not that I know of O, but there should be.

Biases and persuasion are dealt with in Social Psychology. I scanned some topics and, alas, did not find a word or even a pithy phrase to descrive the willful miseducation of an individual.

Certainly propaganda falls into this category.

Reminds me of some of the terms from 1984.

Minitrue - Ministry of Truth (propaganda) - Department of the government in charge of all record keeping, history re-writing, and prolefeed "It was an enormous pyramidal structure of glittering white concrete, soaring up, terrace after terrace, 300 meters into the air. The Ministry of Truth contained, it was said, three thousand rooms above ground level, and corresponding ramifications below. Scattered about London there were just three other buildings of similar appearance and size. So completely did they dwarf the surrounding architecture that from the roof of Victory Mansions you could see all four of them simultaneously. They were the homes of the four Ministries between which the entire apparatus of government was divided."

oldthinkers - Those who engage in oldthink Those who have not fully accepted the new Ingsoc way of thinking.

ownlife - Individualism and eccentricity. A desire to do something for your own benefit. (i.e. hobbies, ownership of property, love, or any other Thoughtcrime)

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I can't stop laughing at this.

I know. It also tugs at the heartstrings....:D

Odysseus
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Not that I know of O, but there should be.

Biases and persuasion are dealt with in Social Psychology. I scanned some topics and, alas, did not find a word or even a pithy phrase to descrive the willful miseducation of an individual.

Certainly propaganda falls into this category.

Reminds me of some of the terms from 1984.

Minitrue - Ministry of Truth (propaganda) - Department of the government in charge of all record keeping, history re-writing, and prolefeed "It was an enormous pyramidal structure of glittering white concrete, soaring up, terrace after terrace, 300 meters into the air. The Ministry of Truth contained, it was said, three thousand rooms above ground level, and corresponding ramifications below. Scattered about London there were just three other buildings of similar appearance and size. So completely did they dwarf the surrounding architecture that from the roof of Victory Mansions you could see all four of them simultaneously. They were the homes of the four Ministries between which the entire apparatus of government was divided."

oldthinkers - Those who engage in oldthink Those who have not fully accepted the new Ingsoc way of thinking.

ownlife - Individualism and eccentricity. A desire to do something for your own benefit. (i.e. hobbies, ownership of property, love, or any other Thoughtcrime)

Orwell understood propaganda and the destruction of language better than just about anyone. But, there must be some term for describing the willfully mis-educated and ignorant. A term that describes, not just the absence of knowledge, but the deliberate seeking of false knowledge. I mean, other than "progressive."

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Orwell understood propaganda and the destruction of language better than just about anyone. But, there must be some term for describing the willfully mis-educated and ignorant. A term that describes, not just the absence of knowledge, but the deliberate seeking of false knowledge. I mean, other than "progressive."
That's easy. Just use Orwell. Newspeak.

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Progressive is pretty good for that, but I know wot you mean.

noonwitch
10-11-2010, 01:30 PM
The funny thing is that the term mental retardation is not a pejorative term. Literally broken down means that mental abilities have been held back or retarded. There's nothing wrong with it. But now this idiot is telling medical journals how they should be written.

The current politically correct diagnosis is "develpmentally delayed". This is not because the term mental retardation is not an accurate term, but becasue of all those years of kids calling peers "retard". Not that many of the subjects of the taunts were truly retarded, but politically correct terms are generally thought up by the non-retarded kid who grew up being called a retard by his peers.

hampshirebrit
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
"developmentally delayed"

A bad choice of terminology for all manner of reasons.

The second word in the term predicates the possibility of the subject rising above the limits of his or her condition, which in almost every instance, is not going to happen.

The 12h30 flight from LHR to Brussels will usually still arrive at its destination, unless the delay becomes a cancellation. I know this from long and repeated experience. I will arrive in BRU, possibly (probably) late, but I will get there. I have never failed to get there when I have wanted to (and in fact have quite often have got there when I didn't want to, sometimes, annoyingly, early).

A twelve year old with the mental age of a four year old is probably never going to attain the normal 12 year old's potential. Labelling this unhappy circumstance as a "delay" rather than a cancellation may be thought to be some kind of linguistic nicety, but it extends false hope to the parents of the hopeless, and in doing so, gives the bearers of bad news a pass which they do not deserve ... and that latter point must be considered.

What benefit does corrupting the language really serve?

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Corrupting the language makes it harder to speak about what you see and to translate thought into action. It erodes the ability to perceive facts and restricts discourse along lines chosen by those who seek to empower themselves by hiding truths. The man or woman who cannot speak their own mind clearly cannot act upon their conscience easily, and thus the corruption of language facilitates the accommodation of evil.

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not find us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."

--Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer was a German Lutheran pastor, theologian, and martyr, a participant in the German Resistance movement against Nazism and the Abwehr plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler. He was arrested in April 1943 and hanged in April 1945.

noonwitch
10-11-2010, 04:05 PM
A bad choice of terminology for all manner of reasons.

The second word in the term predicates the possibility of the subject rising above the limits of his or her condition, which in almost every instance, is not going to happen.

The 12h30 flight from LHR to Brussels will usually still arrive at its destination, unless the delay becomes a cancellation. I know this from long and repeated experience. I will arrive in BRU, possibly (probably) late, but I will get there. I have never failed to get there when I have wanted to (and in fact have quite often have got there when I didn't want to, sometimes, annoyingly, early).

A twelve year old with the mental age of a four year old is probably never going to attain the normal 12 year old's potential. Labelling this unhappy circumstance as a "delay" rather than a cancellation may be thought to be some kind of linguistic nicety, but it extends false hope to the parents of the hopeless, and in doing so, gives the bearers of bad news a pass which they do not deserve ... and that latter point must be considered.

Like I said, it makes the guy who grew up being called a retard feel better about himself.

I agree with you, for what it's worth. I don't think too many retarded people were actually offended by this term, except for maybe those who are minimally retarded. I used to volunteer with a guy who was born normal, but brain damaged by meningitis as an infant. I'd guess his IQ is about 75-80, because he can balance his checkbook and pay his bills, but he is easily taken advantage of by others. He's functional enough to feel that the term retarded is an insult, plus, he had special education classes in a regular high school building, so he probably got called a "retard" at some point by his peers. He refers to his condition as "meningitis", and he can spell it.

The other acceptable term these days is "mentally impaired". I tend to use that one, because it's more accurate.

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Like I said, it makes the guy who grew up being called a retard feel better about himself.
If that were really a problem, Wei wouldn't spend nearly as much time here. :D

hampshirebrit
10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
The other acceptable term these days is "mentally impaired". I tend to use that one, because it's more accurate.

That's a better term by far, as you say, because it better captures the truth of the issue. It neither rules in, or rules out, the possibility of remediation.