PDA

View Full Version : Could this idiot name one government agency that operates effectively

Cseeman
10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9281994

From DU POST

"Obviously everyone here already knows, unfortunatly way too many people don't know the real scary meaning of limited government. It means, empowering corporations to be able to do whatever they want!! The democratic party needs to do a better job of getting the word out. "Limited government" still sounds welcoming to a lot of people. Pretty scary.

I have more confidence in government than ever, mainly due to more powerful computers and huge advances in information technology/ Analytic software. should enable governent for function more efficient than ever, provided we keep the religious right/ morality freak wack jobs out of power."

where the hell does this person leave where he thinks government operates effectively or efficently.....

swirling_vortex
10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Analytic software. should enable governent for function more efficient than ever, provided we keep the religious right/ morality freak wack jobs out of power.
First, the "religious right" hasn't had any prominence of political power since 1980. That sector pretty much died out right after Reagan got elected and never was revived again.

Analytic software? If you mean software that simply compiles data for you, then I'm sure that the government has employed such tools already. The main problem though is that large organizations that have been using old computer systems can't simply change it out at a dime because no one in industry would specialize to that task. Plus, government isn't like a manufacturing plant where putting in more robots makes things go faster or turn bigger profits, the organizations that exist will be inefficient regardless of who manages them. If they're allocating dollars to people to sit on their butts, then it's going to waste money regardless.

Dan D. Doty
10-09-2010, 01:44 AM
The OP has replaced a personal deity with the State. :rolleyes:

djones520
10-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Department of Defense is a pretty effective one.

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Department of Defense is a pretty effective one.

But even that can be a clusterfuck of a bureaucracy and a bit of a boondoggle. And I'm sure you would agree, DJ, that our military would be much more effective if the bureaucrats would keep their hands off of it.

Cseeman
10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Government agencies by there very nature can not operate in a smooth efficient manner

Think about that statement for a second and see if you agree with it

That is my premise

djones520
10-09-2010, 10:12 AM
But even that can be a clusterfuck of a bureaucracy and a bit of a boondoggle. And I'm sure you would agree, DJ, that our military would be much more effective if the bureaucrats would keep their hands off of it.

*shrugs* Who knows. I've been reading a TON of books about the US military history, and how we are today is unrestricted freedom compaired to the grip that beurocrats had on us in the past.

I'm an E-5. Mid level management at the Tactical Level. While I've been educating myself with how things work at the strategic level, I'm not even close to beginning to understand it all.

We have the best military in the world. We are the most efficient arm of the government. Our dollars go further and get more use then any other agencies. I won't kid myself and say there isn't any waste. I know it happens, have seen it with my own eyes. But it could be a hell of a lot worse. And I believe it's because of the system we have today.

m00
10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Military spending is the last thing I'd cut, really. So much military technology has improved the private sector over the years. Although, if I were in charge I'd probably shift more into R&D than maintaining a standing force.