PDA

View Full Version : Cody Posey Is a Free Man

warpig
10-09-2010, 10:15 PM
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/

Remember Posey? He was the kid who killed his entire family in 2004. They rented the ranch from Sam Donaldson.

From CNN:

Cody Posey had just finished the eighth grade when he was arrested on July 7, 2004, in connection with the slayings of his father, stepmother and stepsister.

He confessed to the slayings, but said he snapped after years of physical and psychological abuse. He said he fatally shot his father, Paul Posey, 34, stepmother, Tryome Posey, 44, and stepsister, Mairlea Schmid, 13, and then used a backhoe to bury their bodies inside a manure pile.

Welcome back into society, you crazy bastard! 2 years per victim. Great deal.

NJCardFan
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
And yet if he was caught with an ounce of weed in a school zone he'd be doing 20 years.

noonwitch
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I hope he got help. I don't really know what should be done about very young murderers. There needs to be some way to give them 25 years and have it mean 25 years, instead of either giving them life as an adult, or release at 21 as a juvenile. This kid will likely kill again, just based on the fact that he had mulitple victims.

Our 11 year old murderer in Michigan is the worst case example of a kid who was tried and sentenced as a kid. Within a year after his release at 21, he got arrested for dealing drugs. He also showed up for his release hearing all pimped out, and because of that, Oprah wouldn't have him on her show.

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Our 11 year old murderer in Michigan is the worst case example of a kid who was tried and sentenced as a kid. Within a year after his release at 21, he got arrested for dealing drugs. He also showed up for his release hearing all pimped out, and because of that, Oprah wouldn't have him on her show.

Well, as long as Oprah had a good reason for not having him on the show. It couldn't have been because she didn't want to give a murderous thug time on the air and glorify his actions. Nope, strictly aesthetics. Glad to know Oprah has her priorities straight. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, as long as Oprah had a good reason for not having him on the show. It couldn't have been because she didn't want to give a murderous thug time on the air and glorify his actions. Nope, strictly aesthetics. Glad to know Oprah has her priorities straight. :rolleyes:

He was supposed to appear on her show after his release to discuss his case, his sentence and whether he was rehabilitated or not. The show was about juvenile crime, and he was just one scheduled guest. He showed up for his release hearing wearing a pimp suit and hat, and she decided that those actions pretty much answered the rehabilitation question. He was advised by the staff at the W. J. Maxey Training school to dress in a simple dress shirt, slacks and a tie, which is the standard court outfit for delinquent boys who are about to be released.

I felt badly for this kid when he was on trial. He was 11-his feet didn't even touch the floor when he sat in the chair at the defense table. He almost got convicted as an adult, for a crime he committed at the age of 11, and he would have received mandatory life with no parole if he had been convicted or sentenced as an adult. At the last minute, Fieger took his case on and probably prevented that.

I don't like the idea of trying 11 year olds as adults, even for murder. I also don't like the idea of letting children who are murderers go at age 21, whether they've been rehabilitated or not. There's got to be some kind of middle ground on these cases, where the kid serves a sentence for a period of years-25 years is a good start. That puts most of them in their late 30s/early 40s when they get out, a better age to make wise decisions than 21.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Perhaps criminals that young--Under the age of 18--should be put in special mental institutions. They could be given treatment (in the form of counseling) until age 21 (25 for those who are 16 and older when first locked up). At that age, they'd be evaluated psychologically to see if they were rehabilitated, and if found fit, they can be released conditionally (going case by case and crime by crime) and monitored closely. If found unfit to be released, they remain in the center and evaluated once more in 5 or 10 years time.

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Perhaps criminals that young--Under the age of 18--should be put in special mental institutions. They could be given treatment (in the form of counseling) until age 21 (25 for those who are 16 and older when first locked up). At that age, they'd be evaluated psychologically to see if they were rehabilitated, and if found fit, they can be released conditionally (going case by case and crime by crime) and monitored closely. If found unfit to be released, they remain in the center and evaluated once more in 5 or 10 years time.

I'm less concerned with his welfare than I am with the welfare of his victims, both past and future. I don't know that it's ever safe to let out a juvenile murderer.