PDA

View Full Version : Dutch look at weeding out cannabis cafés

warpig
10-11-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2cc0e802-d2fb-11df-9ae9-00144feabdc0.html

Coffee shops legally selling cannabis have been a feature of Amsterdam’s streets for more than 30 years, both a magnet for younger tourists and a symbol of the Dutch brand of liberal exceptionalism.

The equation that led to the policy of tolerance has changed in the past decade, as large-scale crime around both coffee shops and the legal sex trade became more visible. In particular, the absence of legal means for coffee shops to acquire the cannabis they sell has highlighted its association with organised criminality.

Rockntractor
10-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Why would you allow coffee shops to sell weed and then not allow them to have a legal supply chain?:confused:

djones520
10-11-2010, 04:52 AM
See, thats what happens when you do drugs. You make stupid laws.

lacarnut
10-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Half of the prostitution shops and dope cafes have been shut down, and other thriving business has cropped up in their place. Looks like the US is going in the opposite direction. Don't tell libertarians that crime decreased after that happened.

Sonnabend
10-11-2010, 07:05 AM
See, thats what happens when you do drugs. You make stupid laws.

And say stupid things. Wei is the classic example.

wilbur
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Why would you allow coffee shops to sell weed and then not allow them to have a legal supply chain?:confused:

Don't tell me you actually agree here...

What most people don't realize is that there still is and always has been a prohibition in Amsterdam.

Stores can sell weed, but there is no way for them to attain it legally. So you still have lots of crime surrounding the trade.

djones520
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Don't tell me you actually agree here...

What most people don't realize is that there still is and always has been a prohibition in Amsterdam.

Stores can sell weed, but there is no way for them to attain it legally. So you still have lots of crime surrounding the trade.

It's a lot like how residents are allowed to possess hand guns in DC, but there is no legal way to obtain them. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 11:52 AM

exactly, laws like this only help the bad guys.

sort of like how our AMerican drug laws only help the Mexican Cartels who currently run the northern part of mexico.

Sonnabend
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
exactly, laws like this only help the bad guys.

And CU's resident druggie opens his pie hole again.

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I love howyou people believe having an opinion about drug policy makes someone a drug user. I don't partake in any illegal activities, including illegal drug use.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I love howyou people believe having an opinion about drug policy makes someone a drug user. I don't partake in any illegal activities, including illegal drug use.

"GODDAMN AMERICA!"

dickwad.