PDA

View Full Version : A little crazy

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I probably disagree with Glenn Beck on something like 60-70% of what he says, and don't really like his delivery at times, yet I still watch his show every night (well, the night after on watchglennbeck.com, but you get the idea). It's kind of odd. I also like Bill O'Reilly. It's ironic in that I'd probably agree more with people like Keith Olbermann (since I like presidents like FDR, Nixon, Truman, who Beck hates), yet I NEVER watch Olbermann and when I've tried, I can't watch more than 5 minutes of him, his show is corny.

I just find it odd how I disagree with Beck a lot yet I can't stop watching.

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I probably disagree with Glenn Beck on something like 60-70% of what he says, and don't really like his delivery at times, yet I still watch his show every night (well, the night after on watchglennbeck.com, but you get the idea). It's kind of odd. I also like Bill O'Reilly. It's ironic in that I'd probably agree more with people like Keith Olbermann (since I like presidents like FDR, Nixon, Truman, who Beck hates), yet I NEVER watch Olbermann and when I've tried, I can't watch more than 5 minutes of him, his show is corny.

Beck presents ideas. Agree or disagree, but he is making the case for his ideological positions and presenting it in a reasoned manner. Olbermann just rants, because he cannot articulate a reasoned position, and he has no real philosophy of government beyond wanting to be on the same side as what he perceives as the cool kids. This is why you find him unwatchable.

Eventually, I suspect that Beck will begin to make more sense to you as you continue to watch him present his case, while Olbarmann's rants will leave you colder and colder.

noonwitch
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
We used to have a crazy, alcoholic anchorman at Channel 7 in Detroit-Bill Bonds. Watching him was addictive-he would drunkenly rant and rave, he challenged the mayor to a boxing match, on one occasion suggested to then Governor Blanchard (an MSU grad) that the National Guard be called to quell student parties on campus at MSU. Finally, he had a total meltdown on air, and that was what everyone was watching and waiting for. The next day, he checked into Betty Ford.

Beck is not an active alcoholic like Bonds was/is, but with the crying and conspiracy theories, well....
Sooner or later it seems inevitable that he also will have a meltdown. No one wants to miss that.

Gingersnap
10-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm just the opposite: I like Beck and I think that what he has to say about the Constitution and popular is culture is important but I never watch him. I read his books and catch his radio show from time to time but that's it.

Reading somebody is always better than hearing/watching them on a day-to-day basis.

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Hahaha yes!

I don't disagree weith a lot of what glenn beck says (if they are simple facts, and yes he gives LOTS Of facts), but I wholeheartedly disagree with his initial implied assumptions and his overt interpretations. Still, I love to watch the show. I watch every day if I can, I listen to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity on the radio, I watch Fox News all day (it's my default channel) and love to watch O'Reilly and Hannity on television, and you already know how "Leftist" i am.

part of it is that it's simply entertaining, right-wing pundits are far better with presentation skills and emotional appeals and all that sloppy shit that makes people hooked. part of it is learning all of the conservative "playbook" so to speak since Newscorp seems to be one major source of mainstream conservative thought.
plus they are FUNNY.

Also they are constantly talking about values that most working-class people share, which is something to identify with.

I can't stand watching MSNBC.

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm just the opposite: I like Beck and I think that what he has to say about the Constitution and popular is culture is important but I never watch him. I read his books and catch his radio show from time to time but that's it.

Reading somebody is always better than hearing/watching them on a day-to-day basis.

I have one of his books. It's um....one of my more interesting reads no doubt.

Rockntractor
10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Hahaha yes!

I don't disagree weith a lot of what glenn beck says (if they are simple facts, and yes he gives LOTS Of facts), but I wholeheartedly disagree with his initial implied assumptions and his overt interpretations. Still, I love to watch the show. I watch every day if I can, I listen to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity on the radio, I watch Fox News all day (it's my default channel) and love to watch O'Reilly and Hannity on television, and you already know how "Leftist" i am.

part of it is that it's simply entertaining, right-wing pundits are far better with presentation skills and emotional appeals and all that sloppy shit that makes people hooked. part of it is learning all of the conservative "playbook" so to speak since Newscorp seems to be one major source of mainstream conservative thought.
plus they are FUNNY.

Also they are constantly talking about values that most working-class people share, which is something to identify with.

I can't stand watching MSNBC.

Perhaps if you continue to consume good material we can graduate you from stupid to imbicile some day.

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Perhaps if you continue to consume good material we can graduate you from stupid to imbicile some day.

I've been consuming Fox News, Hannity, and Oreilly on a near-daily basis for 5 years now.

I've read several of the pundit books and even bought a couple.

Rockntractor
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I've been consuming Fox News, Hannity, and Oreilly on a near-daily basis for 5 years now.

I've read several of the pundit books and even bought a couple.

Keep working at it, when you get there you can post a pic of you burning the idiot shirt and putting on the new imbecile one.

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I read other books too you know. Stuff beyond mild entertainment

Odysseus
10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I read other books too you know. Stuff beyond mild entertainment

How is your supply of crayons holding out?

Wei Wu Wei
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Beck is on now. :)