PDA

View Full Version : Source: Brown's wife called Whitman a 'whore'

Gingersnap
10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Source: Brown's wife called Whitman a 'whore'
Sunday, October 10, 2010

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qmhso5.jpg
California Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman talks to reporters in Santa Monica, Calif., Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Fox News is claiming it has sources whom have identified the person in Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown's campaign who called Republican challenger Meg Whitman a "whore."

The comment was accidentally recorded on voice mail after Brown thought he hung up the phone after leaving a message for the Los Angeles Police Union.

Fox News says people with knowledge of what happened say it was Brown's wife who suggested calling Whitman a "whore," for cutting a deal to get the union's endorsement.

Brown's campaign did not respond to ABC7's e-mails on Sunday and they still haven't said who said it.

ABC (http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/politics&id=7717056)

Phillygirl
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I think this issue was blown completely out of proportion.

Gingersnap
10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I think this issue was blown completely out of proportion.

I dunno. There's an accepted double-standard in politics when it comes to insults. For example, there are insulting terms that could be used against a white politician that cannot be used against a black politician. There is a similar thing with women. You just can't call a female politician a whore in the same way that term could be used against a male.

Phillygirl
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I dunno. There's an accepted double-standard in politics when it comes to insults. For example, there are insulting terms that could be used against a white politician that cannot be used against a black politician. There is a similar thing with women. You just can't call a female politician a whore in the same way that term could be used against a male.

And that double standard is ridiculous. I call certain male professionals in my area "whores" all the time. I would see no issue with calling a female with similar characteristics a whore as well.

Gingersnap
10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
And that double standard is ridiculous. I call certain male professionals in my area "whores" all the time. I would see no issue with calling a female with similar characteristics a whore as well.

Then you'd have to open up the racial/ethnic epithet thing as well.

Rockntractor
10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
She's hawt, the bag lady look!

AmPat
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
If she is saying what she appears to be saying, she's a good choice. Especially if she is informing us what the DIM's plan is.

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 10:00 PM

I find using that kind of language trashy in mixed company. Something I would never do in a business setting.

Phillygirl
10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Then you'd have to open up the racial/ethnic epithet thing as well.

How so? A whore, used in that context, has nothing to do with a woman's sexual virtue, and it's gender neutral.

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
How so? A whore, used in that context, has nothing to do with a woman's sexual virtue, and it's gender neutral.

From a lawyer's standpoint, maybe. From the rest of us no f....g way it is gender neutral.

Phillygirl
10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
From a lawyer's standpoint, maybe. From the rest of us no f....g way it is gender neutral.

Most of the whores I know are doctors...and most of them are male.

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM

Really. If you think that doctors and lawyers are whores, the low life's you associate with must be wearing off on you.

Arroyo_Doble
10-13-2010, 10:20 AM

You need to interact with people engaged in generic commerce more.

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
You need to interact with people engaged in generic commerce more.

I do. My experience is the more education one has, the more financially lucrative whoredom can be.

Gingersnap
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Philly, what planet are you from? Whore isn't gender neutral. That the term has expanded from a woman who solicits money, kicks, or favors for illicit sex to include promiscuous men under 25 or men and women who sell out their stated ideals for power doesn't mean that the first usage isn't still the much stronger usage.

The term is effective precisely because it describes a specifically female sexual contrast: virtuous woman against licentious whore. This is a contrast that simply doesn't exist as effectively for male roles or mixed sex groups.

Arroyo_Doble
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Philly, what planet are you from? Whore isn't gender neutral. That the term has expanded from a woman who solicits money, kicks, or favors for illicit sex to include promiscuous men under 25 or men and women who sell out their stated ideals for power doesn't mean that the first usage isn't still the much stronger usage.

The term is effective precisely because it describes a specifically female sexual contrast: virtuous woman against licentious whore. This is a contrast that simply doesn't exist as effectively for male roles or mixed sex groups.

I have used the shower metaphor often (wash the "whore" off). Gender made no difference. But I understand the objection when directed at a female.

In politics, it seems everyone is looking for "Macaca."

Gingersnap
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I have used the shower metaphor often (wash the "whore" off). Gender made no difference. But I understand the objection when directed at a female.

In politics, it seems everyone is looking for "Macaca."

I have never heard your usage. I have no idea how long Macaca has been used pejoratively toward whoever it refers to but I'm pretty sure men have been calling women and girls whores for several thousand years.

If we want to open up this kind of thing as a society, we certainly could but the only way to do it is do it for all groups regardless of our current PC standards. If a man can agree to label a woman opponent as a whore, then she ought to be able to label him as a retarded fag, if she wants to go there.

The same would be true of any currently banned labeling whether it ranges from the humorous to the explosively insulting.

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 12:18 PM

I live on a planet where a pejorative is a pejorative and that particular one encompasses men and women when it comes to selling their ideals for a six pence.

Medical experts in cases are frequently referred to as "whores" and they are more than likely men.

Gingersnap
10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I live on a planet where a pejorative is a pejorative and that particular one encompasses men and women when it comes to selling their ideals for a six pence.

Medical experts in cases are frequently referred to as "whores" and they are more than likely men.

Sounds more like a 'term of art' in your usage. That doesn't really change things for the rest of us. ;)

Arroyo_Doble
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I have never heard your usage.

Akin to "Out, damn'd spot."

I have no idea how long Macaca has been used pejoratively toward whoever it refers to but I'm pretty sure men have been calling women and girls whores for several thousand years.

I was refering to the Virginia Senate race in 2006 where the wheels came off the Republican candidate's campaign when he was recorded saying "Macaca." I was using it as a metaphor.

If you like, I can also say everyone is looking for their Zoe (the California race has both!).

If we want to open up this kind of thing as a society, we certainly could but the only way to do it is do it for all groups regardless of our current PC standards. If a man can agree to label a woman opponent as a whore, then she ought to be able to label him as a retarded fag, if she wants to go there.

There is polite company and there is you and your friends. I don't think it is OK to call a candidate for Senate a "whore" but to be honest, I have heard much much worse. This indignation is, as I said, a search for Macaca.

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Akin to "Out, damn'd spot."

I was refering to the Virginia Senate race in 2006 where the wheels came off the Republican candidate's campaign when he was recorded saying "Macaca." I was using it as a metaphor.

If you like, I can also say everyone is looking for their Zoe (the California race has both!).

There is polite company and there is you and your friends. I don't think it is OK to call a candidate for Senate a "whore" but to be honest, I have heard much much worse. This indignation is, as I said, a search for Macaca.

I agree. It was a slip up amongst a group of people who thought their remarks were private. I wouldn't condone it being used in a campaign speech, but I think more was made of this than should have.

lacarnut
10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Sounds more like a 'term of art' in your usage. That doesn't really change things for the rest of us. ;)

Sounds trashy to me in a business setting regardless of your profession. I made it a practice to not use profanity at work.

Gingersnap
10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds trashy to me in a business setting regardless of your profession. I made it a practice to not use profanity at work.

I try not to use it all in casual conversation. ;)

Arroyo_Doble
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I try not to use it all in casual conversation. ;)

Fuck that noise.

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Fuck that noise.

I tend not to curse in writing, but can make sailors blush in person.

Arroyo_Doble
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM

How hard is it to fluster a Marine's dance partner?

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Point taken.

Zathras
10-13-2010, 06:56 PM

When Arroyo Doble tries to cut in when he's dancing with his wife so AD can dance with him. Then AD gets flustered when that same Marine decks him for trying.

lacarnut
10-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Cursing and trying to be one of the guys is real lady like. You have no idea what men say behind your back. Speaking from experience.

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Cursing and trying to be one of the guys is real lady like. You have no idea what men say behind your back. Speaking from experience.

I'm sure you are.

lacarnut
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm sure you are.

We had a female employee that had a habit of butting in when guys were having a bullshit session in social settings. You should work on being a lady.

Rockntractor
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Is there anything I can do to stir this, hee hee!:D
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/popcorn-pig1.jpg?t=1287019850

Phillygirl
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Is there anything I can do to stir this, hee hee!:D
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/popcorn-pig1.jpg?t=1287019850

Nah. Lacarnut is a gentleman. He frequently shows that on this board by his chivalrous conduct towards women that may disagree with him from time to time. He and I have had this polka before.