PDA

View Full Version : Obama administration appeals gay marriage ruling

Rockntractor
10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON | Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:06pm EDT

(Reuters) - The Obama administration decided on Tuesday to appeal a judge's rulings that prevented the U.S. government from banning same-sex marriages, a move that could undermine support among President Barack Obama's traditional liberal base ahead of a key election.

The Obama administration filed a notice of appeal with the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts in support of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, that barred gay marriages, even though Obama had previously opposed the law.

Although Obama opposes the law, a Justice Department spokeswoman said that the administration was defending the statute because it was obligated to defend federal laws when challenged in court.

"As a policy matter, the President has made clear that he believes DOMA is discriminatory and should be repealed," said Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler. "The Justice Department is defending the statute, as it traditionally does when acts of Congress are challenged."

The rulings being appealed by the government were made in July by U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro in Boston who found the law violated the U.S. Constitution's 10th Amendment, which protects states' rights, and the clause granting equal protection under the law.

Under his rulings, same-sex couples would be entitled to the same federal spousal benefits and protections that are afforded to heterosexual married couples.

One of the challenges was brought by the state of Massachusetts and the other by several couples, including an employee of the U.S. Postal Service, Nancy Gill, who could not obtain coverage for her wife, Marcelle Letourneau, on her family health and vision plans.

The appeal comes at a tough time for Obama, who has been trying to shore up his liberal base ahead of the contentious congressional elections when his fellow Democrats are expected to lose many seats to Republicans. Democrats could lose control of the House of Representatives.
Mo>http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69B63U20101012

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
He is just sucking up to the queers. The postal worker who could not get health care coverage for her dyke lover, just breaks my heart. Average salary of postal workers is $83k with benefits. No wonder the postal system is billions in the red.

Rockntractor
10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
He is just sucking up to the queers. The postal worker who could not get health care coverage for her dyke lover, just breaks my heart. Average salary of postal workers is $83k with benefits. No wonder the postal system is billions in the red.

That really does suck, I picked the wrong way to make a living!

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
That really does suck, I picked the wrong way to make a living!

I am so glad I do not have to go to the P.O. to get stamps...I can get um at Walgreens. Most of the postal workers have lead in their ass. The dumb shits that deliver mail in my area are so stupid that I get other peoples mail on a regular basis.

Rockntractor
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I am so glad I do not have to go to the P.O. to get stamps...I can get um at Walgreens. Most of the postal workers have lead in their ass. The dumb shits that deliver mail in my area are so stupid that I get other peoples mail on a regular basis.

I do my post office business in Leonard it has a population of about 100, there is one old man that runs the post office.
I always make sure I have time to visit a little while.

lacarnut
10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I do my post office business in Leonard it has a population of about 100, there is one old man that runs the post office.
I always make sure I have time to visit a little while.

All of the ones at my p.o. are black beauties that move slower than molasses. Someone needs to light a firecracker under their ass.