PDA

View Full Version : More Info about the Confederate Flag

gator
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
You know that there was story in the news late last week about putting up at giganic Confederate flag at the junction of I-4 and I-75 in Tampa. It was going to be put on private property.

Two news stories today.

First is that the lawyers for the Hillsborough County Commissioners said there was nothing the County could do about it. It will go up if the people want to erect it.

Second story. On the way to my consulting office this morning the guy in charge of the project was on the radio. He said he had asked the Hillsborough County Commissioner to issue a Confederate Heritage Proclamation. He said the HCC issues several Proclamations every week on any thing you and your little brown dog can imagine. Because of the attitude of a snooty Black Commissioner the Proclamation was never even voted on.

He said that he decided to put up the flag as a protest against the County Commission being so goddamn stupid as not to honor the heritage of Confederacy, which the State of Florida was a member.

He also mentioned that he has all the money he needs to put the flag and he will do it.

God Bless him.

Vepr
06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Wait...let me check... yep we still won. ;) :D

Shannon
06-05-2008, 02:43 PM

*adds Vepr to "filthy yankee bastard" list.*

Molon Labe
06-05-2008, 02:44 PM

funny...The Civil war is one of the few wars where the losers wrote the history. :D

LogansPapa
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
funny...The Civil war is one of the few wars where the losers wrote the history. :D

:eek: You Didn't! :D

Vepr
06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I actually bemoan the states rights issue but I had not poked at Gator since coming back so it needed to be done. Plus I am not technically a Yankee. I live in Georgia and I have been informed by my southern friends that people from Iowa are not truly Yankees. :)

gator
06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I have been informed by my southern friends that people from Iowa are not truly Yankees. :)

They were lying to you so as not to make you feel bad.

Vepr
06-05-2008, 03:41 PM
They were lying to you so as not to make you feel bad.

:D You are probably right. They told me they considered Yankees to be from the north eastern states but they could be trying to save my feelings.

You might want to watch it though. Here in Georgia they consider Florida northern Cuba and not part of the south either. :D

Eyelids
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
We already got ours when Sherman burned you to the ground.

Vepr
06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Atlanta is a pretty diverse place now with people from all over the states living here. But when you get out into the country Sherman is still ranks right above the devil on the infamous bastards scale.

gator
06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
:

You might want to watch it though. Here in Georgia they consider Florida northern Cuba and not part of the south either. :D

Georgia and Florida joined together in 1863 to defeat the invading Union army at Olustee. We were soul brothers then.

Vepr
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Georgia and Florida joined together in 1863 to defeat the invading Union army at Olustee. We were soul brothers then.

I think the current animosity has more to do with the Dawgs and Gators. ;)

Gingersnap
06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This story seems to be all over.

I think it's fine to fly a flag on private property. Unlike some others on this board, I did not personally fight in the War Between The States but I have positive feelings about Southern culture in general and understand the cultural significance of the flag.

On the other hand, symbols don't have the power to steal my soul so I think it's fine for people to have what they want on private property within the bounds of common sense.

Rebel Yell
06-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I actually bemoan the states rights issue but I had not poked at Gator since coming back so it needed to be done. Plus I am not technically a Yankee. I live in Georgia and I have been informed by my southern friends that people from Iowa are not truly Yankees. :)

Actually, in South GA, we consider anyone north of Macon a yankee. I'll tell you like I tell my buddy that moved here from Chicago. You'll always be a Yankee and your children will be Yankees. It'll take at least 2 generations to clean that yankee out of your blood.

You know, I actually forget sometimes that Florida fought in the Civil War. I guess it's because there are more Yankees there now than southerners.

Vepr
06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Actually, in South GA, we consider anyone north of Macon a yankee. I'll tell you like I tell my buddy that moved here from Chicago. You'll always be a Yankee and your children will be Yankees. It'll take at least 2 generations to clean that yankee out of your blood.

You know, I actually forget sometimes that Florida fought in the Civil War. I guess it's because there are more Yankees there now than southerners.

They warned me to watch out for people from southern Georgia also because they might be Auburn or Bama fans. :D ;)

gator
06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
This story seems to be all over.

I think it's fine to fly a flag on private property. Unlike some others on this board, I did not personally fight in the War Between The States but I have positive feelings about Southern culture in general and understand the cultural significance of the flag.

On the other hand, symbols don't have the power to steal my soul so I think it's fine for people to have what they want on private property within the bounds of common sense.

This story is just starting. You should have heard the Black Councilwoman shrilling her head off and vowing to get her "brothers and sisters" to fight this with every ounce of strength in their bodies.

This story will dominate the news at some time in the future when the flag actually gets erected.

gator
06-05-2008, 05:33 PM

There was a tremendous battle at Olustee near Lake City. The Union wanted to pull a Sherman type march across North Florida to cut off the food going to the Confederate Army.

The 9th Florida Regiment with troops from Georgia met the 54th Colored Regiment and beat their sorry asses real bad. In fact it was a slaughter.

If you only get your history from stupid Hollywood movies like “Glory” you would think the 54th Massachusetts Colored Regiment were heroes or something. Actually they were poor troops and they were sent to Florida to kill Americans.

Gingersnap
06-05-2008, 05:48 PM
This story is just starting. You should have heard the Black Councilwoman shrilling her head off and vowing to get her "brothers and sisters" to fight this with every ounce of strength in their bodies.

This story will dominate the news at some time in the future when the flag actually gets erected.

People who get hysterical over symbols are just showing others how fragile and superstitious they are. Tolerance is pretty much about enduring something you personally don't like and don't support. I can tolerate a skinhead parade or a gay parade or those repulsive Che teeshirts. It doesn't mean I support the concept but at least it does mean that I'm emotionally robust enough to ignore it.

Whiners.

Sonnabend
06-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Hey Eyelids...your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.!!!!

noonwitch
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Atlanta is a pretty diverse place now with people from all over the states living here. But when you get out into the country Sherman is still ranks right above the devil on the infamous bastards scale.

Atlanta is such a beautiful city-I visited there in the 90s, when my brother was attending seminary at Emory. Great food, too.
If Sherman hadn't burned down Atlanta, well, we would have never seen David O Selznick do it in Gone With The Wind, which is one of my favorite scenes from the movie.

Rebel Yell
06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
There was a tremendous battle at Olustee near Lake City. The Union wanted to pull a Sherman type march across North Florida to cut off the food going to the Confederate Army.

The 9th Florida Regiment with troops from Georgia met the 54th Colored Regiment and beat their sorry asses real bad. In fact it was a slaughter.

If you only get your history from stupid Hollywood movies like “Glory” you would think the 54th Massachusetts Colored Regiment were heroes or something. Actually they were poor troops and they were sent to Florida to kill Americans.

You can't say that about them, don't you know they were black? They were sooooo brave.:rolleyes:

enslaved1
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
People who get hysterical over symbols are just showing others how fragile and superstitious they are. Tolerance is pretty much about enduring something you personally don't like and don't support. I can tolerate a skinhead parade or a gay parade or those repulsive Che teeshirts. It doesn't mean I support the concept but at least it does mean that I'm emotionally robust enough to ignore it.

Whiners.

Preach it. There is a lot more to the Stars and Bars than slavery. Unfortunately too many ignorant people (black and white) refuse to see that and get their Hanes in a wad at the very concept of having to deal with something they don't want to take the time to understand.

biccat
06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
You should add the Cold War to that list too.