PDA

View Full Version : First world citizen's using the lion's share

Ohio Farmer
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
raccoon (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-13-10 12:58 PM
Original message
First world citizens using the lion's share of the world's resources is a major problem in the
world. What are you doing to help solve that problem? How are you trying to lessen your carbon footprint?

What I'm doing/have done: didn't have any kids to become first world citizens using the lion's share of the world's resources.

I drive a Camry, which gets fairly good mileage.

I keep my apartment fairly warm in the summer and utilize electric fans so the AC doesn't have to run as much.

I always use cold water when I wash clothes.

What are your solutions? How have you contributed to reducing your carbon footprint?

I am certainly glad this pos didn't reproduce.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9306851

<A HREF="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9306851">Link Here</A>

Speedy
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I have MY plasma TV. I have MY Dodge Challenger and 1500 Ram pickup. I have a very cool house in the summer and toasty warm house in the winter. I like something and if I can afford it, I buy it. If the skinny, starving assholes in the third world are too backward to do any better, it is no skin off my back. I do not have and do not want any kinship with those people.

Ohio Farmer
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I think if you consider the number of people we defend, the world gets a pretty damn good bang for the buck.

NJCardFan
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I keep my apartment fairly warm in the summer and utilize electric fans so the AC doesn't have to run as much.

Um, so this genius thinks that running fans 24/7 as opposed to AC which runs until the house cools down is better? Wow.

noonwitch
10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I have MY plasma TV. I have MY Dodge Challenger and 1500 Ram pickup. I have a very cool house in the summer and toasty warm house in the winter. I like something and if I can afford it, I buy it. If the skinny, starving assholes in the third world are too backward to do any better, it is no skin off my back. I do not have and do not want any kinship with those people.

LOL.

I will never feel guilty about running my a/c when it's hot. I turn it on the first day it hits 75, and off when it starts getting cold at night. I had it on one day last week. I can afford my bill.

On the other hand, I do sponsor a child in a third world country, and I hope that keeps her from being a starving asshole when she grows up.

Articulate_Ape
10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNoJ2BzSRU

Ree
10-13-2010, 02:58 PM
well does he want a twinkie badge or a chest to pin it on?

CueSi
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I think if you consider the number of people we defend, the world gets a pretty damn good bang for the buck.

When you look at it like that, I like it. :D

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
10-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Well I realize the exploitation of the third world by the first world, then again I really enjoy living in my downtown apartment with my Iphone 4 so I'll just buy some free trade coffee or something

- liberals

Speedy
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I realize the exploitation of the third world by the first world, then again I really enjoy living in my downtown apartment with my Iphone 4 so I'll just buy some free trade coffee or something

- liberals

There would be a lot less "exploitation" of the third world by the US if the DUmbasses in DC allowed us access to our own oil and resources.

Wei Wu Wei
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
lol yeah but where will we get our borderline-slave labor?

god damn socailists in AMerica and their minimum wage laws. we need other countries to provide endless fields of labor, paying them just enough to sustain their muscles to operate the factory machines so i can buy plastic pieces of shit for as cheap as possible.

Wei Wu Wei
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
We need not only domestic resources, but domestic Labor.

We should remove all minimum wage laws. let people work 12 hours a day for $1.76 per hour and I promise unemployment will go down. With the average laborer getting no more than $5,000 a year, businesses will be able to afford to expand, and we'll have 0% unemployment.

Sure they'll only be able to eat a few grams of rice for dinner, but if they work hard enough and save a few pennies per month, eventually their grandchildren will be able to start a business of their own!

Chuck58
10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, let's see. I've got my 2011 Ford Super Duty Diesel 4wd that gets around 12mpg, an old 1988 Ford 3/4 4wd that gets about 8mpg. We still have a 27 inch CRT television that sucks electricity. My wife, though, drives a Ford Escape V-6 that pulls around 23 mpg.

It's all nonsense. First world nations have used resources from the time of the Greeks. When you're rich and powerful, you use more. Realistically, if the human race disappeared tomorrow, within a century most of what we built and did wouldn't be noticeable. Within 2 centuries, earth would be as if we were never here.

Ree
10-14-2010, 08:10 AM
lol yeah but where will we get our borderline-slave labor?

god damn socailists in AMerica and their minimum wage laws. we need other countries to provide endless fields of labor, paying them just enough to sustain their muscles to operate the factory machines so i can buy plastic pieces of shit for as cheap as possible.
Well it's obvious you're not livin in a cave "off the land"...so STFU...

NJCardFan
10-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Well it's obvious you're not livin in a cave "off the land"...so STFU...

QFT. I get a big laugh at liberals who bash everything and anything about capitalism...especially when they do it while texting on their cell phones or posting on a computer while sipping lattes at Starbucks.