PDA

View Full Version : Police force uses Twitter to show daily load

bijou
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Greater Manchester Police has turned to Twitter, the microblogging tool, to give a live account of the 2,000 or so incidents the force deals with in a 24-hour period.

The experiment, which began at 5am on Thursday, aims to spare GMP the worst of public sector spending cuts by increasing awareness of the broad and ever-growing role it plays in the community, above and beyond crime-fighting.

Peter Fahy, chief constable, said the bulk of call-outs related not to crime but what he called “social work”: missing persons, mental health patients, uncontrolled children and antisocial behaviour.

“Two-thirds of our response workload is these sorts of issues,” he said. “And it is growing.”

The social networking experiment is certainly raising awareness of police work, with almost 14,000 following the Twitter feeds. GMP had to set up three for its three daily shifts to avoid Twitter’s spam filter.

It provided unique insight. One tweet read: “report of man holding baby over bridge - police immediately attended and it was man carrying dog that doesn’t like bridges”.

There were also “bins being moved in Droylsden”, a “tent erected on church land in Rochdale”, stray dogs causing traffic chaos and 999 calls from mobile phones that had not been locked.

More serious incidents included sexual assaults, burglaries and traffic accidents. ...link (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1d35e9ea-d7a7-11df-b478-00144feabdc0.html)

I've been following this all day. I can't believe the stuff some people call the police about. My favourites were:

Advice on where caller's 16-year-old daughter can stay while the caller is on holiday.

GMPolice call 1079 Woman reports her horse refuses to come back over bridge