PDA

View Full Version : Merkel says German multicultural society has failed

Gingersnap
10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
16 October 2010 Last updated at 16:51 ET

Merkel says German multicultural society has failed

http://i54.tinypic.com/ejha21.jpg
Angela Merkel (centre) among delegates at the congress of the youth wing of the CDU in Potsdam Angela Merkel said Germany had "kidded itself" multiculturalism was working

Attempts to build a multicultural society in Germany have "utterly failed", Chancellor Angela Merkel says.

In a speech in Potsdam, she said the so-called "multikulti" concept - where people would "live side-by-side" happily - did not work.

Mrs Merkel's comments come amid recent outpourings of strong anti-immigrant feeling from mainstream politicians.

A recent survey showed that more than 30% of Germans believed Germany was "overrun by foreigners".

The study - by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation think-tank - also showed that roughly the same number thought that some 16 million of Germany's immigrants or people with foreign origins had come to the country for the social benefits.
Foreign workers

Mrs Merkel told a gathering of younger members of her conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party on Saturday that at "the beginning of the 60s our country called the foreign workers to come to Germany and now they live in our country... We kidded ourselves a while, we said: 'They won't stay, sometime they will be gone', but this isn't reality.

"And of course, the approach [to build] a multicultural [society] and to live side-by-side and to enjoy each other... has failed, utterly failed."

In her speech, the chancellor specifically referred to recent comments by German President Christian Wulff who said that Islam was "part of Germany" like Christianity and Judaism.
Muslims read Koran in Hamburg, file pic Mrs Merkel says Islam is part of Germany but more must be done on integration

While acknowledging that this was the case, Mrs Merkel stressed that immigrants living in Germany needed to do more to integrate, including learning to speak German.

"Anyone who does not immediately speak German", she said, "is not welcome".

BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11559451)

Wow.

warpig
10-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Duh!!!!

NJCardFan
10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Multiculturalism is a massive failure. We're seeing it here. The reason why this country became so great is because we took the best the world could give and assimilated it into our own culture. Yes these ethnic groups had little neighborhoods but when it came to society as a whole, we were all Americans. It's not like that anymore. It's becoming a bunch of people including a shot load from other countries who happen to live here.

warpig
10-16-2010, 08:00 PM
This country was never intended to be a perpetual colony site.

Gingersnap
10-16-2010, 08:01 PM
What's astonishing is to hear a European leader admit the failure. If this gets by-in from other members of the EU, it will be a game-changer of enormous proportions. This is shocking. :eek:

warpig
10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
What's astonishing is to hear a European leader admit the failure. If this gets by-in from other members of the EU, it will be a game-changer of enormous proportions. This is shocking. :eek:

If it was gonna be anybody it was gonna be the Germans.

hampshirebrit
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM

It's well overdue. The tide is finally turning in Europe. The politicians have been forced into admitting what normal people have been thinking for years. I hope it's not too late.

Rockntractor
10-16-2010, 08:14 PM
We'll see if any action is taken on this, I'm skeptical of talk.

Gingersnap
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Merkel isn't exactly wishy-washy.

Odysseus
10-16-2010, 11:10 PM
If it was gonna be anybody it was gonna be the Germans.

I would have expected the Brits to come out first. They have the longest history of resisting the continent's foolish political fads.

warpig
10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I would have expected the Brits to come out first. They have the longest history of resisting the continent's foolish political fads.

I can see your point., but the Brits have always been more ..............stuffy about "peasants" which is a political/social attitude that has seemed to change over there in the past few decades. The German's have always been a proud nationalist type of country, feeling they were capable of anything because they acted in one accord.

m00
10-17-2010, 01:26 AM

/insert final solution joke. :D

Wei Wu Wei
10-17-2010, 01:11 PM
So Germany has a Tea Party too?

...iceburn...

djones520
10-17-2010, 01:36 PM
So Germany has a Tea Party too?

...iceburn...

Your stupidity blows me away sometimes.

Wei Wu Wei
10-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Merkel has a history of hostility against foreigners:

http://imgur.com/kF6qE.jpg

Arroyo_Doble
10-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Yea. That is why the United States is the undisputed economic, military, and cultural leader of the world; because we are so homogeneous.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

hampshirebrit
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Merkel has a history of hostility against foreigners:

http://imgur.com/kF6qE.jpg

Jesus the Jew. I am fucking amazed that anyone would post such shit.

WTF are you talking about. :mad: Have you even visited Germany?

Has everyone suddenly been struck with the desire to post the latest, most fucking stupid bonkers post, ever?

JB
10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
So Germany has a Tea Party too?If they're lucky.