PDA

View Full Version : Vince Vaughn: Gay Jokes Okay (Grow Up).

Gingersnap
10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Vince Vaughn defends the use of the word 'gay' in his forthcoming comedy

Actor Vince Vaughn has defended the use of the word "gay" in his forthcoming comedy "The Dilemma" after a week of controversy about whether it is a slur against gays and lesbians.

Published: 10:17PM BST 15 Oct 2010

Universal Pictures last week pulled a promotional movie trailer for "The Dilemma", in which Vaughn's character tells a joke calling electric cars "gay", after complaints that the use of the word sent a message of intolerance at a time when gay teen suicides and bullying are in the media spotlight.

Some gay rights advocates have now called for the entire scene to be cut from the movie, which is due for release in January.

Vaughn said in a statement that he supported "the people outraged by the bullying and persecution of people for their differences, whatever those differences may be."

But he added: "Comedy and joking about our differences breaks tension and brings us together. Drawing divided lines over what we can and cannot joke about does exactly that; it divides us. Most importantly, where does it stop."

Just another reason to like Vince. When you say that no one can joke about your group, you make your group out to be a laughingstock. :cool:

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8067795/Vince-Vaughn-defends-the-use-of-the-word-gay-in-his-forthcoming-comedy.html)

Speedy
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
What gets me is people getting offended who have no business getting offended. Like whites getting so pissed and their panties wadded up over what they see as a slight against Blacks. Or fucking atheists stomping their widdle foot and holding their breath over a Muslim's religious beliefs. Jesus Christ, people!

CueSi
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Electric cars are gay. I'm sorry. I drive past the Tesla dealership on the way to work, and they make my Fit look like a damn hummer. :p

~QC

AmPat
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
God bless Vince and other like minded people.

Gingersnap
10-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll bet he has a lot of quiet support among comedy writers and comedians. There's only so much self-referential material comedy can take and constantly lampooning Christians and suburbanites is getting stale.

I was talking with someone at lunch who observed that the Pryor/Wilder movies could never be made today.