PDA

View Full Version : White House officials block Obama visit to India's Sikh Golden Temple over fears it w

Gingersnap
10-20-2010, 12:34 PM
White House officials block Obama visit to India's Sikh Golden Temple over fears it will strengthen belief he is a Muslim

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:02 PM on 20th October 2010

White House officials have stopped President Barack Obama from visiting the Golden Temple in Amritsar, India, over concerns that coverage could strengthen a belief he is a secret Muslim.

The temple - called Harmandir Sahib - is the spiritual centre of the Sikh religion and one of India's most popular tourist attractions.

It was scheduled to be the third stop on Mr Obama's visit to the country next month, but it has now been cut from the itinerary because of the impact it could have in the U.S.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1snj4h.jpg
Holy: Sikh devotees gather at the Golden Temple in Amritsar to celebrate the birth of Sikh Guru Ramdass. President Obama will not visit the shrine

According to Sikh tradition, Mr Obama would have to cover his head before entering the temple. Mr Obama, a Christian, has been dogged by persistent rumours that he is a Muslim and Sikhs in the U.S. have been occasional targets of anti-Muslim discrimination and violence in America. Dalmegh Singh, secretary of the committee which runs the temple, told the New York Times: 'To come to Golden Temple he needs to cover his head.

'That is our tradition.'

Days after the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, a Sikh man was killed in Arizona by another man who mistook him for a Muslim.

Observant Sikhs do not cut their hair and Sikh men wear turbans that cover their heads in public. Visitors to the temple are expected to cover their heads and take off their shoes and White House aides were worried about the impact images of Mr Obama covering his head in the U.S. Sikh beliefs require men to tie a piece of cloth on their heads, rather than putting on a hat that can be taken off.

The religion, which was founded in Punjab in the 15th century, includes elements of Hinduism and Islam but is a totally distinct faith.

Queen Elizabeth visited the iconic temple in 1997 and took off her shoes to walk around the temple. Last year, Canada's prime minister Stephen Harper covered his head during his visit.

H.S. Phoolka, a prominent Sikh lawyer in New Delhi, said he was disappointed that the U.S. president was now not visiting the temple. He told the New York Times: 'We have worked so hard to establish in America that Sikhs have a very different identity than Muslims.

'It is very unfortunate that even the White House is conveying the message that there is no difference between Muslims and Sikhs.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322171/White-House-blocks-Obama-visit-Indias-Golden-Temple-fears-strengthen-Muslim-perception-U-S-voters.html?ITO=1490#ixzz12uvoqga1

noonwitch
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
If I actually traveled to India, I'd want to see it. I'd rather see the Sikh temple and the Taj Mahal than see the "Slumdog" parts of the country.

My dad went to India in 1979. He came back jaundiced. It's not on my top ten list of nations I want to visit.

AmPat
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
O Blah Blah can't figure out what to bow down to.

FlaGator
10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
O Blah Blah can't figure out what to bow down to.

The janitors will do.

Gingersnap
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Couldn't he tie the cloth on and wear a hat over that? :confused:

Wei Wu Wei
10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
If I actually traveled to India, I'd want to see it. I'd rather see the Sikh temple and the Taj Mahal than see the "Slumdog" parts of the country.

My dad went to India in 1979. He came back jaundiced. It's not on my top ten list of nations I want to visit.

You might like to see it, because it's an incredible place with much culture and history, but you don't have a couple million Tea Partiers with "Go Back To Kenya" and "Imam Obama" signs just salivating for their chance to be proven right in their deluded minds.

AmPat
10-20-2010, 02:45 PM
You might like to see it, because it's an incredible place with much culture and history, but you don't have a couple million Tea Partiers with "Go Back To Kenya" and "Imam Obama" signs just salivating for their chance to be proven right in their deluded minds.

Care to show us those signs? Shouldn't be too hard as you state that these are "a couple of million.":cool:

Wei Wu Wei
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Care to show us those signs? Shouldn't be too hard as you state that these are "a couple of million.":cool:

lol okay you're right it's pretty easy

http://imgur.com/WuOp1.jpg

http://imgur.com/cx8vu.jpg

djones520
10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Guess you missed that study that showed only something like 2% of all those signs resemble something like that. It's just easier to find images of them because their sensationalist.

Gingersnap
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Don't hijack threads in Breaking News, Wu Wu. It makes you look like an attention whore.

Arroyo_Doble
10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Guess you missed that study that showed only something like 2% of all those signs resemble something like that. It's just easier to find images of them because their sensationalist.

It's the Gay Pride Parade axiom.

AmPat
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
lol okay you're right it's pretty easy

http://imgur.com/WuOp1.jpg

http://imgur.com/cx8vu.jpg
lol :rolleyes: I give up. You sure proved your assertion. I'm convinced that literally MILLIONS exist. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
You've shown a couple of signs out of a couple of million. That's a 0.00001% sample. Great job there, Wei.

If Obama is so concerned about people's perception of his birth, why not waive the Privacy Act and let everyone see the birth certificate? That would end the argument in one fell swoop and put the birthers in their place. The only reason that I can see for him not doing it, aside from the birther position, is that he enjoys the controversy, and as long as he can point to birthers, he will have a ready-made fringe to demonize and compare his mainstream critics to.

It's the Gay Pride Parade axiom.
Okay, so let's have some images from a Gay Pride Parade that aren't controversial. See, I can find a few Tea Party signs that are over the top, but I generally can't find that many. In fact, most of the sites that are dedicated to the demonization of Tea Partiers, you know, the "Teabaggers are racist, evil, racist, no-good, racist, redneck, did I already say racist?, white people" kinds of sites, keep recycling the same few signs. But there's no shortage of really bizarre stuff from Gay Pride Parades, and Anti-War Rallies have more vile, bigoted imagery than an Iranian edition of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. So, where are the nice, dignified, mainstream-friendly Gay Pride images?

noonwitch
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I don't see where any of that is relevant to my travel plans. I don't ever want to get jaundiced, so I probably will not ever travel to India, even though there are cool things to see there.

I live in Michigan. In metro Detroit. It's probably the one city in the entire nation that Tea Partiers are not going to converge upon to have a mass protest, so I haven't see the signs you mentioned except on the national news.