PDA

View Full Version : Majority of independent voters say Dem leadership is more left wing than they are

Gingersnap
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Majority of independent voters say Dem leadership is more left wing than they are

By Alexander Bolton - 10/20/10 08:58 PM ET

In another potentially troubling sign for Democratic candidates, three in five independent voters in key House districts say Congress’s Democratic leadership is to the left of them on the political spectrum.

The Hill 2010 Midterm Election Poll found that 61 percent of likely independent voters in 10 battleground House districts — a critical swing demographic — think the leadership under House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is more liberal than they are.

Only 16 percent of independents say Pelosi and Reid — both of whom have been vilified by Republicans on the campaign stump — hold political views similar to their own.

“That’s a very significant finding that tells you where independents are likely to go,” said Mark Penn, president of Penn Schoen Berland, which conducted the poll. “In terms of independents, Reid and Pelosi are viewed as out of step.”

Penn’s firm conducted phone interviews with 4,276 likely voters in 10 battleground House districts from Oct. 9 to Oct. 17. The poll surveyed voters in Arizona, Illinois, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and had a margin of error of 1.5 percent for the aggregate sample.

The survey found that even 23 percent of likely Democratic voters consider Reid and Pelosi more liberal than they, the voters, are.

The Hill (http://thehill.com/house-polls/thehill-poll-week-3/125125-democrats-twice-as-likely-as-gopers-to-consider-their-party-too-extreme)

noonwitch
10-21-2010, 02:46 PM
If the democrats find a way to hold on to the House, I think Nancy is not going to be SOH for the next term. If they lose the House, she is definitely not going to be the minority leader.

Not that I can think of anyone off-hand to replace her as leader of the dems in the House. If I had my way, it would be Dingell, just to teach her to respect her elders.

Odysseus
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
If the democrats find a way to hold on to the House, I think Nancy is not going to be SOH for the next term. If they lose the House, she is definitely not going to be the minority leader.

Not that I can think of anyone off-hand to replace her as leader of the dems in the House. If I had my way, it would be Dingell, just to teach her to respect her elders.

Dingell? A congressman who has been in office since Ike was president? And who has been on the wrong side of almost every issue during that period? I don't know if that's quite the image that Democrats want to project...

djones520
10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Dingell? A congressman who has been in office since Ike was president? And who has been on the wrong side of almost every issue during that period? I don't know if that's quite the image that Democrats want to project...

Well, it's an image we'd like them to project. :D

AmPat
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, it's an image we'd like them to project. :D

Strangely, it's an image they are comfortable with. Too bad their liberal media enablers are there to assist them.

noonwitch
10-22-2010, 01:48 PM

My point is that even with all those faults, he's still better than Pelosi.

Plus, I don't know Dingell personally, but I like his son, the judge. Pelosi dissed John and Michigan when she replaced him with Waxman on the transportation committee. Although that does put her at the same level of evil as Tom Monaghan, who hired Bo Schembeckler to fire Ernie Harwell as the Tigers' announcer, it still doesn't earn her a lot of love around here.