PDA

View Full Version : Who are the "Elites" in our society?

Wei Wu Wei
10-22-2010, 11:22 AM
There's lots of anti-elitism talk that comes from the populous. Mostly, and ironically enough, it's from both pro-labor groups as well as Tea Party.

However, the key difference seems to be who they identify as the elites.

Who are the elites? What gives them power?

Are they elected officials? With the power to write and vote on legislation? They have more direct influence on bills that are passed. Anyone, regardless of income, can vote for these people and kick them out of their job.

How about captains of industry, finance, and other Wealthy capitalists? They have the power to buy lawmakers, they have the power to dictate what they want into bills, they have the power to lay off millions of workers, move their operations over seas, and manipulate the financial system they have the power of the media to run full steam with their message (there's no doubt that corporate news dominates the public perception), and it's in their financial interests, as Warren Buffet said, to wage a Class War. They are not democratically elected so they cannot be kicked out of their jobs.

Wei Wu Wei
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
By elites, I don't mean some smug hipster douchebag at the grocery store judging you for your choice of food brand.

I mean someone with power to shape society.

Sonnabend
10-22-2010, 11:24 AM
I mean someone with power to shape society.

The American voter in November.

Next question?

Wei Wu Wei
10-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Can the American voter vote for who runs the media? Can they vote for the jobs of multi-billionaires?

I can kick out politician A and vote in politician B, but if there's a guy behind the seat with a briefcase full of Benjamins does it really matter if it's A screwing us over or B?

FlaGator
10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Me

Sonnabend
10-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Can the American voter vote for who runs the media? Can they vote for the jobs of multi-billionaires?

Oh for fucks sake will you stop with the envy? You are NOT getting their money so shut it.

I can kick out politician A and vote in politician B, but if there's a guy behind the seat with a briefcase full of Benjamins does it really matter if it's A screwing us over or B?

Yeah and you'd like that money in your hot little hand, wouldn't you?

Get a job.

Wei Wu Wei
10-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Are you voting this November because you, filled with envy, want Nancy Pelosi's job?

Are you voting because you, filled with jealously, want Harry Reid's job?

Sonnabend
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Are you voting this November because you, filled with envy, want Nancy Pelosi's job?

Are you voting because you, filled with jealously, want Harry Reid's job?

God you are SLOW....haven't you worked it out yet?

Wei Wu Wei
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
According to you, anyone who wants to change the power balance only wants to out of personal jealously. I'm only carrying your shoddy childish logic to it's rational conclusion.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
According to you, anyone who wants to change the power balance only wants to out of personal jealously. I'm only carrying your shoddy childish logic to it's rational conclusion.

Tell me, Wei:

If it were up to you, how would society and our government be different. You keep dancing around this, but what is your ideal vision of our society/government? What sort of economic system would we be working under? I don't want a one word answer, I want a detailed description of the kind of America you feel would be more ideal.

Bailey
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM

What subject do you teach? not where do you teach.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 11:43 AM
According to you...

According to me, you are becoming very annoying of late, in a somewhat trollish manner.

It is a full moon. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it.

Also according to me, I'm going to give CU a break from you, and you some free time to consider on how you can be less annoying when you return.

I think a week should do it. See you next Friday.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
What subject do you teach? not where do you teach.

He'll have to get back to you next week on that. Sorry.

FlaGator
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

I don't see what he did that required a timeout.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Tell me, Wei:

If it were up to you, how would society and our government be different. You keep dancing around this, but what is your ideal vision of our society/government? What sort of economic system would we be working under? I don't want a one word answer, I want a detailed description of the kind of America you feel would be more ideal.

See above.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Duly noted.

Molon Labe
10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
The American voter in November.

Next question?

lol.

The highlight of the problem. The natural consequence of a society where the educational system defines the highest civic duty as voting. :rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
He has been kind of amping up the propaganda as of late.

linda22003
10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
There's lots of anti-elitism talk that comes from the populous. Mostly, and ironically enough, it's from both pro-labor groups as well as Tea Party.

However, the key difference seems to be who they identify as the elites.

Who are the elites? What gives them power?

Knowing the difference between "populace" and "populous", for one thing.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Knowing the difference between "populace" and "populous", for one thing.

Perhaps he will learn to spell over the next week as well. I won't hold my breath though.

SaintLouieWoman
10-22-2010, 12:01 PM
According to me, you are becoming very annoying of late, in a somewhat trollish manner.

Also according to me, I'm going to give CU a break from you, and you some free time to consider on how you can be less annoying when you return.

Thank you. His cartoons posted in the "humor" section were extremely offensive, even for wei.

He's lucky you just gave him a week. I was thinking of a longer vacation.

SaintLouieWoman
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Check out the humor "cartoon" thread. See the picture of Jesus and the Nazi, plus the one of a dead child. That did it for me.

FlaGator
10-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Check out the humor "cartoon" thread. See the picture of Jesus and the Nazi, plus the one of a dead child. That did it for me.

I saw them. I wrote them off as someone who had an opinion different than mine.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Wei Wei was showing less and less respect for CU and it's posters, we are not a play toy for a Marxist troll this is a conservative website.
There is nothing wrong with him posting and defending his viewpoints but he had gone far past that with his mocking and lack of respect for moderators.

Perhaps with a little time out he will step back to where he remembers where he is.

Sonnabend
10-22-2010, 12:37 PM
According to you, anyone who wants to change the power balance only wants to out of personal jealously. I'm only carrying your shoddy childish logic to it's rational conclusion

Your continued obsession with other people's money usually only has one realistic source.

Bailey
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Meh he wouldnt have answered anyway.

Molon Labe
10-22-2010, 12:55 PM
take you pick from this photo. (http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee8994966 48c2b4b06233c)

noonwitch
10-22-2010, 12:58 PM

They are pretty offensive. I'm not sure which one is worse-one that equates Jesus to a nazi or one that finds humor in child victims of violence.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 07:02 PM

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/normal_teabagged-teabagged-demotiva.jpg?t=1287788431

lacarnut
10-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Thank you. His cartoons posted in the "humor" section were extremely offensive, even for wei.

He's lucky you just gave him a week. I was thinking of a longer vacation.

Next time make it a month. Him and his other roomates posting on this one account need to get their shit together.

Rockntractor
10-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Next time make it a month. Him and his other roomates posting on this one account need to get their shit together.

I have often suspected two distinctly different personalities using this account. It is the same with Hazelnut.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Stay tuned for the return of the Wei one.

Zathras
10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Stay tuned for the return of the Wei one.

Aw man...can we keep him out? Permenantly? I've enjoyed the quiet.

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Aw man...can we keep him out? Permenantly? I've enjoyed the quiet.

No. Sorry, I only banned him for a week, last Friday.

As of now, he's been permitted to post here for about 11 hours (i.e. ban event plus 7 days).

Up to him if he does or not.

Personally, I don't give a shit either way.

But he is allowed.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 09:58 PM
No. Sorry, I only banned him for a week, last Friday.

As of now, he's been permitted to post here for about 11 hours (i.e. ban event plus 7 days).

Up to him if he does or not.

Personally, I don't give a shit either way.

But he is allowed.

Did you remove the teabags from his name?

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Did you remove the teabags from his name?

Actually, because of a time-zone mistake on my part, it will be another 12 hours or so before we will have the pleasure of Wei's company.

Sorry to raise folks' expectations so prematurely.

Next time I ban such a popular member, I'll do better.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Actually, because of a time-zone mistake on my part, it will be another 12 hours or so before we will have the pleasure of Wei's company.

Sorry to raise folks' expectations so prematurely.

Next time I ban such a popular member, I'll do better.

That's okay but be more careful next time, God put you people here for my entertainment.:D