PDA

View Full Version : Nuke-powered British sub runs aground off Scottish coast

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Nuke-powered British sub runs aground off Scottish coast
08:15 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vwwqa9.jpg
This file photo, taken in 2009, shows the British Royal Navy's nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, en route to its new base Faslane in southwest Scotland. By Andy Buchanan, AFP/Getty Images

The crew of a nuclear-powered British submarine is awaiting high tide to free the vessel that has run aground in rocks off the west coast of Scotland, the Glasgow Evening Times reports.

The newspaper says the ministry of defense has confirmed that the HMS Astute got stuck in rocks off Skye, but says the accident is not a nuclear incident and does not represent a threat to the environment.

The sub is outfitted with torpedoes and Tomahawk cruise missiles, the newspaper says.

Reuters quotes officials as saying the weapons are not armed with nuclear warheads.

The BBC quotes one witness as saying he could see the stranded sub out of his bedroom window. He says there was one unsuccessful attempt at one point to tow it with ropes.

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/10/nuke-powered-british-sub-runs-aground-off-scottish-coast/1)

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Did they stop for tea?:confused:

djones520
10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Well, I can think of a certain officer who just jumped to #1 of the 17,000 to be seperated from the British military.

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I can think of a certain officer who just jumped to #1 of the 17,000 to be seperated from the British military.

There will be a LOT of paperwork in his immediate future, that's for sure.

I'm really not sure how he managed to run a sub aground, short of major system failure.

Odysseus
10-22-2010, 03:39 PM
There will be a LOT of paperwork in his immediate future, that's for sure.

I'm really not sure how he managed to run a sub aground, short of major system failure.

I'm guessing single malt scotch, especially given the location. :D