PDA

View Full Version : Cast & Crew Reject 'Hangover 2' For Mel Gibson

Odysseus
10-22-2010, 05:16 PM
By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday October 21, 2010 @ 6:13pm EDT

BREAKING NEWS... Mel Gibson won't be appearing in The Hangover Part II despite web reports he'd play a tattoo artist in the Todd Phillips-directed pic. Warner Bros and its financing partner Legendary Pictures released a statement from Phillips. "I thought Mel would have been great in the movie and I had the full backing of Jeff Robinov and his team. But I realize filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and this decision ultimately did not have the full support of my entire cast and crew," Phillips said.

I think the world of Phillips, but I didn't find it admirable when WME dropped Gibson as a client, and I think this development is disappointing. Mike Tyson, who was convicted or rape and served time for it, can be in The Hangover, but Gibson can't, because he made an anti-Semitic remark during a DUI arrest and had some scary voice mails bared against his wishes? Stars still flock to work with Roman Polanski, even though he can't make movies in the U.S. because he fled after admittedly having a sexual encounter with a 13-year old girl. Clearly, Gibson has been his own worst enemy, but as a director of films like Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto, there are few better.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/no-hangover-2-for-mel-gibson/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gotta love Hollywood morality.

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Rapists are okay but mouthy drunks are too much? No wonder Hollywood is a wasteland.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Rapists are okay but mouthy drunks are too much? No wonder Hollywood is a wasteland.

It would seem that they need to list all the faults of every actor on the poster for each movie if this is what we are going to use to determine what we will watch.:rolleyes:

Odysseus
10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
It would seem that they need to list all the faults of every actor on the poster for each movie if this is what we are going to use to determine what we will watch.:rolleyes:

That could be really funny. Starring: That treasonous idiot and a groupie to every totalitarian thug he can get his arms around, Sean Penn . Also starring that semi-literate dolt who has read one book by Howard Zinn and thinks that he knows the secrets of the universe, Matt Damon. Featuring apologist for child rapist and PC dogma enforcer Whoopi Goldberg, with an appearance by barking moonbat Tom Cruise. :D

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Most excellent!:D

hampshirebrit
10-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Passion of the Christ.

I'm amazed that anyone would rate this movie as anything other than the anti-semitic, sado-masochistic and suppressed homoerotic tripe that it was.

It was a catholic horror- comic book brought to the cinema, cut from whole cloth.

Apocalypto was no better, apart from the fact that it wasn't anti semitic.

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm amazed that anyone would rate this movie as anything other than the anti-semitic, sado-masochistic and suppressed homoerotic tripe that it was.

It was a catholic horror- comic book brought to the cinema, cut from whole cloth.

I guess most of the viewers weren't as well versed in homoerotic sadism as you appear to be. Understandable mistake, I'm sure. :p

PoliCon
10-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Progressive rapists and mouthy drunks are ok. It's CONSERVATIVE mouthy drunks that are the issue.

PoliCon
10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess most of the viewers weren't as well versed in homoerotic sadism as you appear to be. Understandable mistake, I'm sure. :p

BURN!! :D

CueSi
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM

I know homoerotic sadism and the Passion of the Christ isn't it. That whipping scene in Zefferellis Jesus of Nazareth comes closer.:P

~QC

djones520
10-24-2010, 07:27 PM

I didn't get that impression at all. Honestly, knowing human nature, I bet that telling was closer to the truth then anything. One is capable of pointing out the flaws of a jewish man or group of men, without saying all Jews are like that.

Apocalypto had some slight historical innacuracies, but it was still true to form as well.

Both were good movies.

Odysseus
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

I was only quoting the article. I never saw The Passion. I have nothing against Nike, but I'm just not into cross-training, and three hours seemed like a lot of it. No pain, no gain... :D

I will say that Braveheart is a superb movie, and I wanted to see Apocalypto, but it's not the kind of movie that you can take toddlers to, so until our youngest is old enough for a baby sitter, and we can find one in the AO, we're stuck with Pixar, and I really got the feeling that I'd need to see it on a big screen, so we haven't been that keen to rent it.

I know homoerotic sadism, I've worked with homoerotic sadism and that, sir, isn't homoerotic sadism.

~QC
Fixed for debating format. :D

Mel wasn't directing this time, it was just a cameo in a raunchy comedy, a sequel to a movie that featured convicted rapist Mike Tyson, who has also been credibly accused of domestic violence during his marriage. It's just more PC Hollywood hypocrisy.

djones520
10-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Apocalypto while better on the big screen is pretty powerful on a regular tv as well.

But yes, it is NOT a movie for the children to be around when you watch it.

PoliCon
10-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Apocalypto while better on the big screen is pretty powerful on a regular tv as well.

But yes, it is NOT a movie for the children to be around when you watch it.

I turned it off less than half an hour in. I had had enough.

CueSi
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Fixed for debating format. :D

The rule is simple...

Bruises=Erotic
Blood=Erotic
Sebaceous Tissue= NOT EROTIC.

Jim Caviezel had sebaceous tissue exposed. I don't care how hot and ripped he is. Game over, man. Game over.

(Hamps, if you had said snuff film, I'd of had your back. I still like this movie because I'm aware of it's context and think of it more as the Jewish religious establishment using the Roman state to perform a political self-defense killing, that really was a lynching, or was it suicide because if you believe the dude's press. . .he could have stopped it at ANY time. . .(yes, I'm being a wanker. It's more fun that way) )

~QC

Odysseus
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
The rule is simple...

Bruises=Erotic
Blood=Erotic
Sebaceous Tissue= NOT EROTIC.

Jim Caviezel had sebaceous tissue exposed. I don't care how hot and ripped he is. Game over, man. Game over.
If you can see Sebaceous Tissue, you're pretty ripped. :D

I was referencing the 1988 VP debate, when Dan Quayle compared his record to Jack Kenney's, and Lloyd Benson responded with, "I knew Jack Kennedy, I worked with Jack Kennedy, and you sir, are no Jack Kennnedy."

(Hamps, if you had said snuff film, I'd of had your back. I still like this movie because I'm aware of it's context and think of it more as the Jewish religious establishment using the Roman state to perform a political self-defense killing, that really was a lynching, or was it suicide because if you believe the dude's press. . .he could have stopped it at ANY time. . .(yes, I'm being a wanker. It's more fun that way) )

~QC
Must...Not...Make...Joke...About...Wanking...And.. .Fun....

hampshirebrit
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM

~QC

Fair point, CueSi.

I still state that there are more than a few areas where Mr Gibson is "not quite right", demonstrated by his behaviour both on and off the set.

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Mel makes great and interesting movies. So what if he's obnoxious when he's drunk, and possibly somewhat unhinged? I'm not going to have a relationship with him.

Mike Tyson raped a beauty pageant contestant who only wanted to get his autograph for her dad. Roman Polanski drugged and sodomized a 13 year old.

I could watch Apocalypto many times over and still enjoy it. The scene with the jaguar is so well-done, among others. The mother giving birth in the flooding pit is a cool scene, too, with the cute little kid watching and helping. The main character is so resourceful in his flight from the bad guys, it's just amazing to watch.

The Passion is one of those movies I saw, I'm glad that I saw it, but I never want to see it again. The violence is sickening, but it was realistic-crucifixion was not pretty. Neither was scourging. There were some good things about it-I don't know how he found actors with such expressive faces. I thought that the depiction of the devil was very different, as the scary and slightly beautiful asexual being with worms coming out of it's mouth. There was a good message that I got out of it about the meaning of friendship-how Mary Magdelene, John and other disciples followed Jesus and witnessed his death. It was like they were there for Jesus to see and look at while he suffered, so that he wouldn't only have to see the jeering crowd and cruel soldiers. I found that touching.

I've seen a few Polanski movies. Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown are good movies, but I'd rather watch Braveheart. When I finally saw Rosemary's Baby, I was disappointed, though. I thought it would be scarier.

CueSi
10-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Fair point, CueSi.

I still state that there are more than a few areas where Mr Gibson is "not quite right", demonstrated by his behaviour both on and off the set.

No argument...but all great people aren't quite right to some degree. It just seems kinda lame for all these people to lose it over Mel Gibson when they'd break their necks to work with Roman Polanski.

Then again, life isn't fair, right?

~QC

PoliCon
10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Reality if you have views that are deemed to be conservative - you are an anathema in Hollywood. If you have the proper progressive views - you could eat babies for dinner and they would excuse you.