PDA

View Full Version : The airbag for cyclists: New inflatable collar protects helmet-hating riders

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
The airbag for cyclists: New inflatable collar protects riders who refuse to wear a helmet

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:57 AM on 22nd October 2010

It is the perfect invention for those of us too vain to bother wearing a helmet while riding our bikes.

The 'Hvvding' helmet is an airbag 'collar' that springs into action within 0.1 seconds, covering the skull and neck of a rider in the event of an impact.

Roughly translated into English as the 'Chieftain' - the Hvvding was designed over six years by two Swedish industrial design students.

http://i55.tinypic.com/6dr2bb.jpg
The head airbag takes only 0.1 seconds to inflate, completely covering the bicycle riders head and neck

Designer Anna Haupt said the company hoped the airbag would hit the shops across Northern Europe and the UK in the spring next year. It will first cost around 260 but Ms Haupt believes a lot of people have been crying out for an alternative to the helmet.

The team developed a system using a collar containing a folded airbag which is only inflates when sensors inside detect a sudden jolt. A small helium gas cylinder inflates the collar in just 0.1 seconds and it remains inflated for several seconds after impact. The device has been 'tuned' by recreating hundreds of accidents using crash test dummies and real riders.

'The release mechanism is controlled by sensors that detects the abnormal motion of the cyclist in an accident.'

The inventors say that the colour of the collar can even be changed to match whatever outfit the cyclist is wearing. The hood itself is made from a durable nylon fabric that can withstand the scraping against the road.

Interesting. I never wear a helmet on my bike. Fascinating clip of the collar deploying the air bag at the link.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1322484/Airbag-cyclists-Inflatable-collar-protects-riders-refuse-wear-helmet.html#ixzz137qJg7f2

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I like that picture, I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to do that when they block the lane and won't move over to the right.
http://i55.tinypic.com/6dr2bb.jpg

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, but they will survive if they're wearing the air bag collar.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah, but they will survive if they're wearing the air bag collar.

It is still a heart warming picture.:)

Bubba Dawg
10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I wear a helmet. I've been in a couple of bike shops where there are helmets on display that got "used" in an accident. They were both badly crushed but the sign on both said that the rider survived.

Helmet or collar, neither will help spinal, and other, injuries.

I'm a considerate rider. On the rare occasions when I am actually on the road I keep well right.

I still don't like road riding anymore.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I wear a helmet. I've been in a couple of bike shops where there are helmets on display that got "used" in an accident. They were both badly crushed but the sign on both said that the rider survived.

The wearer may have survived but I bet he is a Democrat now.

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Helmet or collar, neither will help spinal, and other, injuries.

I'm a considerate rider. On the rare occasions when I am actually on the road I keep well right.

I still don't like road riding anymore.

Yeah, I've seen those displays myself. The helmets are designed to absorb shock so they look pretty bad after any impact. Just like your car does when you hit anything at 7 mph. Would you have died in that car crash? Unlikely.

Colorado is a very bike-friendly environment. Cars are used to riders and there are usually ample bike lanes on roads. If you don't have a need for speed and you avoid riding alongside parked cars (in Denver), you probably won't have a problem. If a drunk comes out of nowhere and slams into you, your helmet isn't going to save you.

I like to use my bike like I'm a normal person - not an athlete. I don't wear special clothes and sometimes I'm wearing really nice clothes. I've biked to church services. I might buy something like this collar.