PDA

View Full Version : Weathermen Suck!

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I got up this morning and turned the TV to the local weather, they said 80% chance of rain, they went into a big diatribe about how severe these storms could be. By the sound of things I didn't know whether we should build an ark or take an airplane ride.
I decided to go ahead and go check the oil wells and when I got done I went over to my road project to run the grader. When I got there the rain started so remembering all the dramatic warnings, I turned around and headed home. Within about 10 minutes the rain stopped and now the sun is out. My dawgs can forecast better than these people!

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
To be fair, there's a lot more art to this science than people know.

Bubba Dawg
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I had an uncle who said the biggest snow he ever had and the most snow he ever shoveled was supposed to be flurries.

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 07:32 PM

These guys are painting with crayons!:mad:

Bubba Dawg
10-22-2010, 07:33 PM
These guys are painting with crayons!:mad:

You didn't watch a Chip 'n Dale cartoon and think it was the weather channel again did you? :p

Rockntractor
10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
You didn't watch a Chip 'n Dale cartoon and think it was the weather channel again did you? :p

Wait what?:confused:

Gingersnap
10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Wait what?:confused:

If they talk really fast with fake Brit accents and have cute butts, it's not the actual weather show.

It's hard to tell, I know.

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 12:30 AM
It is raining right now, I listened to the weather forcast an hour and a half ago and they said no rain. I went to some weather sites and no rain mentioned, if you look at the radar there is rain!:mad:

djones520
10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm going to pretend this thread never existed. :mad:

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm going to pretend this thread never existed. :mad:

One of them must have just left the studio and gotten wet, they finally admitted it is raining now!:D

Zathras
10-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Ummm, doesn't 80% chance of rain also mean 20% chance of no rain???

djones520
10-26-2010, 02:34 AM

That is very true.

Strict science can only get you so far with this. I'm not at all afraid to admit that instinct has a lot of play in my forecasts.

NJCardFan
10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Ummm, doesn't 80% chance of rain also mean 20% chance of no rain???

Dingdingdingding!

Besides, why hate on the weatherman? He or she just goes by what the national weather service or Accu-Weather gives them. That's like blaming the anchor for the news being reported or blaming the sportscaster for your team losing.

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Dingdingdingding!

Besides, why hate on the weatherman? He or she just goes by what the national weather service or Accu-Weather gives them. That's like blaming the anchor for the news being reported or blaming the sportscaster for your team losing.
Last night it was raining outside
the studio while they were saying it was clear, they could have looked out the window.
If you ever see a weatherman staring up at the sky while it's raining, tip his head forward so he doesn't drown!

djones520
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
the studio while they were saying it was clear, they could have looked out the window.
If you ever see a weatherman staring up at the sky while it's raining, tip his head forward so he doesn't drown!

How far away is the studio from you?

Most of those stations are forecasting for a relatively large geographic location, and while it may be raining where you are, it may not be raining in 90% of the rest of the area they cover.

Conditions tend to change as well. Which is why I bash the global warming theorists. These super computers are only so reliable. They do get things wrong.

I will tell you what. 9 years experience on this job, and everyone always remembers the rare occasion that we are wrong. No one ever remembers that the majority of the time we're pretty spot on. And when you consider that we are predicting the future, you'd think a little bit of slack would be given.

Articulate_Ape
10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I will tell you what. 9 years experience on this job, and everyone always remembers the rare occasion that we are wrong. No one ever remembers that the majority of the time we're pretty spot on.

Sophistry.

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Ya ya!:D

djones520
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Sophistry.

Call it what you will, when we issue that tornado warning that saves your life I bent you don't give a shit that we were off by a few hours on a rain forecast.

And tornadoes are a real mother fucker to forecast for. I nailed one 45 minutes out once, and that was just stupidly lucky.

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Call it what you will, when we issue that tornado warning that saves your life I bent you don't give a shit that we were off by a few hours on a rain forecast.

And tornadoes are a real mother fucker to forecast for. I nailed one 45 minutes out once, and that was just stupidly lucky.

I ain't skeert!:p

Articulate_Ape
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM

My apologies, djones. I stand corrected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njFASIY69s

NJCardFan
10-26-2010, 11:41 PM

Dude. I lived in Arizona for 3 years. There were times that it was pouring across the street and bone dry where I was standing.