PDA

View Full Version : We Just Got This Kid At Our Prison

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I was working the special needs unit when we got a couple of new inmates in from Trenton State(NJSP). One was a kid, and I do mean kid, named Aaron Kean (http://www.news24.com/World/News/Boy-gets-18yrs-for-murder-20031212). I had to ask him how old he was. He said he was 18. Believe me when I tell you he looked 15. My partner(it's the only unit with 2 officers) asked him what he did and he told him he killed a little kid. What I didn't know, is that the kid was 3 years old and this kid who killed him was 10 at the time. Can you imagine? 10 years old when you committed murder and 11 when you received 20 years for it?(Article says 18 but my sergeant looked it up and this kid got 20 years, 6 months total). Holy crap. That young and your life basically over.

Gingersnap
10-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Did he say why he did it?

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Did he say why he did it?

I didn't ask and the kid just got there so I didn't want to bug him with details but the article said that the little kid kept on bugging him for his scooter. Reason to kill someone, don't you think?

Gingersnap
10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I didn't ask and the kid just got there so I didn't want to bug him with details but the article said that the little kid kept on bugging him for his scooter. Reason to kill someone, don't you think?

Normally, we would just trick the pest into eating dog shit out of a candy box or something to get rid of him. I guess rural childhoods are kind of innocent.

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Pretty sad all around. Was he in adult prisons previously, or is this his first stint since being sentenced?

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty sad all around. Was he in adult prisons previously, or is this his first stint since being sentenced?

I'm guessing not because if you look his name up on our website, it isn't there yet. My guess he's been in juvenile facilities under what we call JJC or Juvenile Justice Commission. We do have youth correction facilities but none of those have the programs we have at our place which is why he's probably here now that he's 18. I dont' work that unit much(last night was only the 5th time in 6 1/2 years I've worked there) so I probably won't deal with him much.

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing not because if you look his name up on our website, it isn't there yet. My guess he's been in juvenile facilities under what we call JJC or Juvenile Justice Commission. We do have youth correction facilities but none of those have the programs we have at our place which is why he's probably here now that he's 18. I dont' work that unit much(last night was only the 5th time in 6 1/2 years I've worked there) so I probably won't deal with him much.

What kind of programs are there that would be beneficial for him? It sounds like he's got some serious problems.

Sonnabend
10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
NJ: is it a good idea to start publishing the names of your prisoners on here? Or does your prison not understand the meaning of thew word privacy? Do doctors tell who is in their hospitals? No. Do nurses talk about who their patients are? No.

Was or is his transfer public knowledge? If it isnt, why are you breaching his privacy?

Are you authorised to PUBLICALLY disclose the names and details of inmates that is not yet public knowledge?? If it isnt on the website as you state, then who gave you the authority to disclose his details without his permission?Is your employer aware that you are posting these details here?

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 10:21 PM
NJ: is it a good idea to start publishing the names of your prisoners on here? Or does your prison not understand the meaning of thew word privacy? Do doctors tell who is in their hospitals? No. Do nurses talk about who their patients are? No.

Was or is his transfer public knowledge? If it isnt, why are you breaching his privacy?

Are you authorised to PUBLICALLY disclose the names and details of inmates that is not yet public knowledge?? If it isnt on the website as you state, then who gave you the authority to disclose his details without his permission?Is your employer aware that you are posting these details here?

As far as I know, prisoners do not have a right to privacy with regards to their whereabouts. I could be wrong, however.

Gingersnap
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
If you'd clicked the link, you'd see that his name and history are public knowledge. There is no privacy right here.

Sonnabend
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
As far as I know, prisoners do not have a right to privacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy) with regards to their whereabouts. I could be wrong, however.

Uh, yes they do. It may be a hard pill to swallow, but prisoners have rights and one of those includes a right to privacy.

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Uh, yes they do. It may be a hard pill to swallow, but prisoners have rights and one of those includes a right to privacy.

Could you show me where that ephemeral right to privacy extends to the housing information regarding a prisoner?

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 10:39 PM

It's all information available to the public. The link I posted is from a newspaper article. And in a few days you can go onto our website and look up inmates all day if you'd like. The reason why it isn't on our website yet is because he's new to our system. Give it a few days and you'll be able to look him up. I posted this because it's an interesting social commentary. I didn't do it to embarass him or anything, but to point out the folly of humanity.

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM

I didn't give you his housing assignment or cell number or his inmate number, and as I said, in a day or 2 his information will be up on the website with the rest of the state's inmates. Just to show you how public this information is, we have a section on escapes. Christ guy, they are making a movie about an inmate at my prison. Is that OK with you?

Speaking of which, did you have an issue with my naming the 2 inmates who had escaped?

Sonnabend
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
It's all information available to the public. The link I posted is from a newspaper article. And in a few days you can go onto our website and look up inmates all day if you'd like

NJ, thank you, that's what my concern was, and you've answered my question perfectly. :)

Gingersnap
10-23-2010, 10:43 PM

The American corrections system is probably quite a bit different from your own.

NJCardFan
10-23-2010, 10:43 PM
NJ, thank you, that's what my concern was, and you've answered my question perfectly. :)

Gotcha. What are your thoughts on this kid?

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry Philly, but if you don't know the privacy restrictions in your own state, that's not my concern. Why don't you go off and look them up?

Already did. And New Jersey is not "my own state". Since you stated with such certitude that such a right did exist, and went to the trouble of citing that wonderful Wiki article, I thought you had more inside information on the topic.

Sonnabend
10-23-2010, 10:46 PM
NJ: Jamie Bolger comes to mind :(

Kay
10-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Isn't it unusual for a juvenile to be sentenced in a way where they can
be kept locked up on past the time they turn 18? I thought usually that
a 10 yr old would be get a fresh start at 18, even when it is a serious
crime like murder. He must be a really messed up bad one to have
gotten 20 yrs at that young age.

Rockntractor
10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Isn't it unusual for a juvenile to be sentenced in a way where they can
be kept locked up on past the time they turn 18? I thought usually that
a 10 yr old would be get a fresh start at 18, even when it is a serious
crime like murder. He must be a really messed up bad one to have
gotten 20 yrs at that young age.

It varies from state to state, I'm torn by this, yes it is a kid but he might not be safe to release and rob another person of his life!

Phillygirl
10-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Woodbridge couple found shot in their home

WOODBRIDGE -- An unidentified couple was shot in the Colonia section of Woodbridge this afternoon, and both were taken to an area hospital in critical condition, authorities and neighbors said.

The two have lived together in the same house for around eight years, according to neighbors who said the couple has three children.

Few details were immediately available through police, who said detectives were at the scene on Amherst Avenue still investigating.

Both of the injured persons were adults, according to Lt. Donald Protz. Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Nicholas Sewitch said both victims were listed in critical condition at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick last night, but further information regarding the shooting was not available.

Neighbors noted that the home, at 48 Amherst Ave., has a troubled history. It is the former home of Aaron Kean, who kidnapped and murdered 3-year-old Amir Beeks in the backyard of the home on March 26, 2003. Aaron, 10 at the time, lured Amir from the Henry Inman Colonia Branch of the Woodbridge Public Library on Inman Avenue, then bludgeoned the toddler with a baseball bat and left him face down in a creek next to the home. Amir died the next day.
Kean was sentenced to 18 years in the custody of the state juvenile justice commission in December 2003 after pleading guilty to the slaying in Family Court, New Brunswick. He is currently being held in a juvenile detention facility in New Jersey, said Ralph Cretella, assistant Middlesex County prosecutor. He declined to name the detention center, citing privacy issues regarding juvenile offenders.

Kinda creepy. (http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2009/09/2_shot_in_woodbridge.html)

Gingersnap
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
He beat a little kid to death with a baseball bat. Now, I don't have personal experience in this area but it seems like killing a little kid with a baseball bat is a lot more "personal" than pushing the kid off a balcony or throwing him into a river or something.

It would take time and it would be gory. The kid would be crying and trying to escape - it's not like the movies where one hit kills a person. The killer tried to hide the body in a ditch. There was thought here. :(

NJCardFan
10-24-2010, 12:44 AM
According to the article, DYFS(Division of Youth and Family Services) knew Aaron was being abused by his father and did nothing to remove him from that environment. He was actually living with an adoptive family when he committed this crime. This is the same agency that allowed 4 kids to stay with a family that starved these kids near to death: http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/stories/20040213_childabuse_collingswood_report.html

And also the same agency my wife and I are going through to be foster parents. Believe me when I tell you that in order to do so, they go up your rectum with a fine tooth comb.

Kay
10-24-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm torn by this, yes it is a kid but he might not be safe to release and rob another person of his life!

I'm not torn, they should have executed the little bastard on the spot.
I'm glad to see that they are keeping him locked up past 18, just surprised by it.

Rockntractor
10-24-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm not torn, they should have executed the little bastard on the spot.
I'm glad to see that they are keeping him locked up past 18, just surprised by it.

I wasn't speaking of just him, in his case yes I would agree you.

AmPat
10-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I remember this. This offender is not safe on the streets. He's exactly where he needs to be. I hope and pray there is help for him but not likely.

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
It varies from state to state, I'm torn by this, yes it is a kid but he might not be safe to release and rob another person of his life!

I used to be a delinquency worker and I had a couple of cases that were murderers. I can't give details, because at least one of them was a high-profile, media case.

One of the kids did well and was totally rehabilitated. He had a good family, and had remorse for his actions.

The other was beyond redemption before he ever picked up a gun. He was from a family of crack addicts and junkies, and was involved in gangs at a very young age. He committed more crimes after his release from the juvenile system, and there are people who would still be alive today if he had been given life for the juvenile crime. He is a sociopath, and he didn't see other people as being real.

Prosecutors need to be aware of the differences between different types of juvenile offenders, and focus on charging the truly sociopathic ones as adults.

Odysseus
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I remember when this story came out, and being shocked by it, especially since his sentencing occurred when our oldest was a baby. Now, my youngest is almost three, and I cringe when I see her around some of the older kids in our neighborhood. I'm sorry to say that, while it's a shame that this kid's life is, for all intents and purposes, over, the life of the kid that he murdered is actually over, as in permanently, and horribly, and if I were that child's father, I'd have wanted Kean dead.

The purpose of law has to be to protect the innocent, and Kean is not innocent, just young.

NJCardFan
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
He'll be coddled in this jail at least. The unit he's on, no matter what, discipline rarely occurs. Oh they get written up but the more serious charges they get off because they're special needs save for assault on staff which gets them moved to another jail.

Odysseus
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
He'll be coddled in this jail at least. The unit he's on, no matter what, discipline rarely occurs. Oh they get written up but the more serious charges they get off because they're special needs save for assault on staff which gets them moved to another jail.

His victim is still dead, I take it? :mad:

Rockntractor
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to be a delinquency worker and I had a couple of cases that were murderers. I can't give details, because at least one of them was a high-profile, media case.

One of the kids did well and was totally rehabilitated. He had a good family, and had remorse for his actions.

The other was beyond redemption before he ever picked up a gun. He was from a family of crack addicts and junkies, and was involved in gangs at a very young age. He committed more crimes after his release from the juvenile system, and there are people who would still be alive today if he had been given life for the juvenile crime. He is a sociopath, and he didn't see other people as being real.

Prosecutors need to be aware of the differences between different types of juvenile offenders, and focus on charging the truly sociopathic ones as adults.

If both of these boys had been sentenced to life they would both still be alive as well as the future victims of the Incorrigible one.

NJCardFan
10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
His victim is still dead, I take it? :mad:

Last I looked.

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
According to the article, DYFS(Division of Youth and Family Services) knew Aaron was being abused by his father and did nothing to remove him from that environment. He was actually living with an adoptive family when he committed this crime. This is the same agency that allowed 4 kids to stay with a family that starved these kids near to death: http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/stories/20040213_childabuse_collingswood_report.html

And also the same agency my wife and I are going through to be foster parents. Believe me when I tell you that in order to do so, they go up your rectum with a fine tooth comb.

It's still good that you are going through the process of becoming foster parents, despite what the state puts you through first. Our kids really need good people to be foster parents, there are too many foster parents who are in it for the money (which I don't get, because we don't pay them that well, unless a kid has special needs). Just be prepared for really extreme behavior from small children. Children who have been sexually abused have some really weird behavior, and frequently regress into enuresis and encropresis, for example. To be prepared for how bad 8-9 year olds can be, well, just watch an episode of South Park.

I've never worked on the licensing end of things, so I really don't know what things they tell you in training. My tips:

1. Check every new kid for lice. It's easier to delouse one kid than the whole household.
2. Don't have the kids share towels or clothes until they've been seen by a doctor, especially if they scratch their crotch or butt a lot. Some STDs can transfer via fabric, esp. HPV/warts.
3. Don't let the biological parents know where you live. Get a Go Phone (pay as you go) for older kids to use to call their bio family, instead of your landline or personal cell phone. If you meet the bio parents at visits, keep the relationship focused on the kids' needs, not on what they have to do to get the kids back.
4. Always know who the kid's foster care worker's supervisor is. It doesn't hurt to know the whole chain of command and all the associated phone numbers. You're not in Michigan, so I feel like I can share this tip with you.
5. Either you or your wife should learn how to care for black children's hair, and how to cornrow it. It's not as easy as you might think.
6. If your neighbors don't like you being a foster parent, tell them to piss off, but prepare yourself for a barrage of anonymous and unsubstantiated CPS referrals.

Odysseus
10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
If both of these boys had been sentenced to life they would both still be alive as well as the future victims of the Incorrigible one.
Exactly. The function of criminal justice is not to demonstrate our moral superiority or make us feel good about ourselves, it is to protect the innocent. I believe that we need to use actuarial tables for parole, i.e., a convlcted killer should not be eligible for parole duing the natural life span of his victim, or a minimum of half the life span if the person is older than the median. If the victim had a natual life expectancy of 70 years, for example, and was three years old at the time of death, then the perp will be eligible for parole in 67 years. If the victim was 68, then they can be elibigle in 35 years, assuming that they ever will be. If the victim was over 70, then they still get the 35 year minimum.

Last I looked.
See above. Your thoughts?

NJCardFan
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Exactly. The function of criminal justice is not to demonstrate our moral superiority or make us feel good about ourselves, it is to protect the innocent. I believe that we need to use actuarial tables for parole, i.e., a convlcted killer should not be eligible for parole duing the natural life span of his victim, or a minimum of half the life span if the person is older than the median. If the victim had a natual life expectancy of 70 years, for example, and was three years old at the time of death, then the perp will be eligible for parole in 67 years. If the victim was 68, then they can be elibigle in 35 years, assuming that they ever will be. If the victim was over 70, then they still get the 35 year minimum.

See above. Your thoughts?

You already know my thoughts. I've stated time and again how much of a joke I think the prison and justice system is. Once upon a time, prison used to be actual punishment. Penitentiaries is what they used to be called from the word penitent meaning atonement. It's no coincidence that the prison population exploded when the prison system went from punishment to corrective measures. Now, in some prisons like mine, it's a prolonged vacation.