PDA

View Full Version : G.O.P. Is Poised to Seize the House, if Not the Senate

Carol
10-24-2010, 07:13 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9378319)

onehandle Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Oct-24-10 10:48 AM
Original message
G.O.P. Is Poised to Seize the House, if Not the Senate

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON — A costly and polarizing Congressional campaign heads into its closing week with Republicans in a strong position to win the House but with Democrats maintaining a narrow edge in the battle for the Senate, according to a race-by-race review and lawmakers and strategists on both sides.

President Obama campaigned for a fourth consecutive day on Saturday as the Democratic Party threw its full weight into preventing a defeat of historic proportions in an election shaped by a sour economy, intense debate over the White House’s far-reaching domestic agenda and the rise of a highly energized grass-roots conservative movement.

But Republicans have placed enough seats into play that Democrats now seem likely to give up many of the gains they made in the last two election cycles, leaving Washington on the brink of a substantial shift in the balance of power.

The final nine days of the midterm election are unfolding across a wide landscape, with several dozen House races close enough to break either way, determining whether the election produces a Republican wave that reaches deep into the Democratic ranks. In the Senate, Democrats were bracing to lose seats, but the crucial contests remained highly fluid as Republicans struggled to pull away in several Democratic-leaning states.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/us/politics/24campaig...
Then the delusions and denial begin:

PSPS (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 10:56 AM
Response to Original message
3. They're really pulling out the stops, aren't they?

You know it's a propaganda piece when you see this:

the rise of a highly energized grass-roots conservative movement.

No matter how much they try to promote this canard, the 'baggers were always an astroturf "movement" created and heavily promoted by the media and funded by a few obscenely wealthy families like the Koch brothers.Astroturf....they use this to try to comfort themselves and reassure themselves that the tea partiers couldn't be as big as they are........and have as much influence as they actually do have.

underpants Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 11:17 AM
Response to Reply #3
8. Clearly and attempt to diminish voter turnout- IT'S ALREADY OVER!!!

No need to vote.

That is the message.

I think the Dems hold on to both houses. I could very well be wrong but every trend shows the Dems (and some specific Dems) gaining or pulling away.

tblue37 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 12:52 PM
Response to Reply #8
25. Mainly it's a narrative to justify the Republican "victory" when the electronic

Edited on Sun Oct-24-10 12:52 PM by tblue37
vote-hacking steals it for them.It could never be about the Democrats agenda, right?

louis-t Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 11:15 AM
7. How can they be "poised" when

Dems are trending upward and hold slim leads in most places?

RBInMaine Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 11:40 AM
13. It is CLOSE in the House and could break either way. Piss on the corporate media. Go VOTE !

Bigmack Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 11:48 AM
15. Frankly, I'm afraid...

they might be right. Never underestimate the stupidity of many Murikan voters.

This country has done this kind of stupid shit before, and things seem as fucked up as anything I've seen in the 50 years I've followed US politics.

Seldom in our entire history. And I taught US History.

I'm not a gloom-and-doomer about this, but I refuse to be a cheerleader, either.

Nothing would surprise me this year.

I only really get depressed when I remember that if we win...that is, stay the way we are... well, not much is going to change. With the control the Repubs and Dinos exert in the Congress even now, I don't see us getting out of Vietghanistan, Iraq, or the economic mess, or lowering the military budget, or....One of the US haters. Funny, they never move out of the US though. They stay and take all of the benefits of being a citizen and then say how terrible our culture and country is.

dballance Donating Member (161 posts) Sun Oct-24-10 12:09 PM
19. I Am Sick and Tired of these Predictions

The GOP still sucks and everyone knows they are the reason we're in deep shit now. All the pundits are doing is trying to discourage Dem voters from going to the polls or they're trying to lay the groundwork to cover up the GOP manipulating the electronic voting so it won't be a surprise when the Tea Bagger/GOP candidates "win."They have their head in the sand.

AmPat
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM
PSPS (1000+ posts) Sun Oct-24-10 10:56 AM
3. They're really pulling out the stops, aren't they?

You know it's a propaganda piece when you see this:

the rise of a highly energized grass-roots conservative movement.

No matter how much they try to promote this canard, the 'baggers were always an astroturf "movement" created and heavily promoted by the media and funded by a few obscenely wealthy families like the Koch brothers.
1. There are those Liberal Lemmings who believe it because they were told to.
2. There are the Polly want a craker types who simply parrot what others have said in their echo chamber.
3. There are those who create, write and promote the lies that Polly Parrot and the other liberal sheep are programmed to swallow.

Dan D. Doty
10-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Everyone is lying ( expect the Left-Wing echo chambers), the polls are wrong ( because DU didn't have the chance to f*ck with them :rolleyes:) There is no grass mvements ( unless of course the Left-Wing starts it with Soros money) and if they're wrong come the next morning will hear the same stupid reply from DU we've been hearing for the last ten years " They cheated !!! ".

Moonbats have got to find a way from being so two dimensional :rolleyes: