PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Plays To Half-empty High School Gym

Rockntractor
10-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Clinton: Bernero is best choice to lead Michigan

BY KATHLEEN GRAY
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Former President Bill Clinton said there is no question that Virg Bernero is the best candidate to be Michigan’s next governor.
“You have a uniquely qualified person here,” Clinton said at today's rally at Renaissance High School in Detroit. “If he loses, you lose.”
He compared Bernero’s record to his own – an era of balanced budgets without tax hikes and deficits that turned into surpluses. The naysayers, Clinton said, are manipulating vulnerable voters who are struggling to hold onto their homes and jobs.
“These other guys are playing you. They say they’re mad, they’re frustrated and want something new,” Clinton said. “But this country is coming back.”
Bernero was joined by all the other statewide candidates at the rally. Their message was clear -- don’t be discouraged by the polls that show them trailing Republicans.
“Are you ready to win, ready to fight, ready to vote?” Bernero asked the crowd, getting a resounding yes to each question. “You have to remember the votes, because this election is up to you, not the editorial pages, or the pollsters, or pundits or prognosticators.”
While the crowd hoisted signs that stated “Virg Surge,” the turnout at the rally was anemic. More than 500 people came to the rally, but the gym at Renaissance High School was only about one-third full, even though Clinton used to command full houses wherever he went, especially in Detroit.

MO>http://www.freep.com/article/20101024/NEWS15/101024006/1318/Clinton-Bernero-is-best-choice-to-lead-Michigan

lacarnut
10-25-2010, 12:41 AM
You just can not get thrilled with any politican if you lost your home and job. Plus a lot of folks are scared shitless that they may be next. Clinton, Obama and the Democraps have no solutions.

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Well, the weather was really nice in Detroit Saturday afternoon, and the Spartans were on television. People were grilling and chilling, not going to rallies.

Clinton is loved in Detroit, but Bernero is not really that well-known by Detroit voters. Plus, Milliken endorsed Snyder and he hasn't endorsed a fellow republican for Governor since he left office in 1983. Milliken was always well-liked by Detroiters, as is Bill Ford, who also endorsed Snyder. I don't think Virg is going to win.

Virg is also tied to a big slumlord who is despised by Detroiters. If you heard of the dead homelss guy found frozen in the basement of an abandoned building (found by urban adventurers who play hockey in the flooded and frozen basements of abandoned buildings), the building was one owned by this slumlord, who also owns the abandoned train station and the Ambassador Bridge. That's the main reason I'm voting for Snyder.

AmPat
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Slumlord is bad, but how is it his fault that a homeless person (tresspasser) dying in one of his abandoned buildings, laid at his feet?

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Slumlord is bad, but how is it his fault that a homeless person (tresspasser) dying in one of his abandoned buildings, laid at his feet?

It's not totally his fault, but it was one of those things that really made the city look bad. Matty Mouran, the slumlord in question, owns a lot of abandoned buildings that he hasn't torn down nor rehabbed. He also owns the Ambassador Bridge, and Virg and other politicians (although Virg is the only dem usually mentioned) have been taking campaign funds from him, in exchange for voting against building a second bridge, which is badly needed. The AB is in need of serious repairs, and having a new bridge could divert all the truck traffic from the old bridge. The canucks are willing to pay for half the cost of a new bridge.
Matty likes his monopoly.

Incidentally, there is one other crossing, the tunnel, but most trucks can't use it.

AmPat
10-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Some successes in tearing down old buildings come from joint ventures whereby all involved parties share the profits of the venture. Tearing downand cleaning up old buildings is expensive. In Detroit, there is a no chance of a profit. What motive would the owner have other than altruism?

noonwitch
10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Some successes in tearing down old buildings come from joint ventures whereby all involved parties share the profits of the venture. Tearing downand cleaning up old buildings is expensive. In Detroit, there is a no chance of a profit. What motive would the owner have other than altruism?

If he was in any other city in the country, he'd have to pay fines for his dilapitated property. But Detroit does not have the manpower to enforce it's own codes, so millionaires like Matty can get away with things they can't in other cities. In Warren, if my grass gets higher than 6 inches, I could be fined.

The city could just tear it down and bill him for it, but they don't have the equipment needed to tear down a huge structure like the train station.

AmPat
10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Sounds like the city isn't forcing him to do what they can't do. Fair enough.

Nubs
10-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Vag Bernero could not have picked a worse year to run. Running as a Dem for governor this cycle will have as much success as a hooker standing outside an STD clinic.

Bubba Dawg
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm a gym's half full kinda guy......

noonwitch
10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Vag Bernero could not have picked a worse year to run. Running as a Dem for governor this cycle will have as much success as a hooker standing outside an STD clinic.

I don't know. The unions are really pushing Virg, because they know it's going to be a tough year. I'll be able to judge how desperate they are by whether they have UAW people posted outside my polling place, because a good number of people in my neighborhood work at the Chrysler plant around the corner. The funny thing for me is that I like his LG candidate (Brenda Lawrence) better than I like Virg.

On the other hand, I've seen Snyder yard signs everywhere, even in some very unlikely places-like Detroit neighborhoods, and arab-owned gas stations (some of which have huge Snyder signs). His plan involves the most important thing necessary to save Detroit a small business development plan. With Milliken's endorsement, Snyder could make some real inroads for the GOP in Detroit, with black voters.