PDA

View Full Version : DC to AC inverters..

Bailey
10-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I use a 400 watt constant to 800 peak inverter in my pick up truck. This is more then senficent for my Laptop but I hear a humming and clicking in the power adapter (tried it on regular outlets and do no hear either noise). I read up on the topic and they are saying I should use a pure sine wave inverter, does anyone know if that will cure the problem? I have problems with a priior laptop and dont want to go through that again.

Thanks.

Rockntractor
10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
what make and model is your laptop.

megimoo
10-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I use a 400 watt constant to 800 peak inverter in my pick up truck. This is more then senficent for my Laptop but I hear a humming and clicking in the power adapter (tried it on regular outlets and do no hear either noise). I read up on the topic and they are saying I should use a pure sine wave inverter, does anyone know if that will cure the problem? I have problems with a priior laptop and dont want to go through that again.

Thanks.Radio Shack makes a small sine wave inverter that runs from a twelve volt dc source like a car or small truck cigarette lighter or direct to the battery .They run about twenty nine bucks and work just fine.Power your laptop from one of those and your problems will be gone.

The battery chargers in the laptops use a switching regulator to change the batteries .Most pure switchers don't take kindly to the distorted power waveform of some high powered inverters.

Bailey
10-27-2010, 06:23 AM
what make and model is your laptop.

Alienware, I guess they are made by dell?

Thor
11-20-2010, 12:18 AM
The problem with most inverters is that they produce either a square wave output or a sawtooth wave output.A lot of electronics are fairly sensitive to this. What one needs is like megimoo suggested, a true sine wave inverter.

Gingersnap
11-20-2010, 12:23 AM
The problem with most inverters is that they produce either a square wave output or a sawtooth wave output.A lot of electronics are fairly sensitive to this. What one needs is like megimoo suggested, a true sine wave inverter.

Good advice.

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 12:25 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=alienware+auto+adapters+&_cqr=true&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkwusc=ALIANware+auto+adapters&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Calypso Jones
11-20-2010, 12:39 AM
buy a more expensive inverter.

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 12:47 AM
buy a more expensive inverter.

Converting from DC 12 volts to ac and then back to DC 19 volts is very inefficient, you can get adapters that convert from 12 volt to 19 volt. I have 4 laptops and have one for each, I have had real good luck with the low cost ones you get at ebay. I use a laptop in my pickup all day every day.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I was just kidding around. I know very little about them other than how to hook them up when i need one.

Thor
11-20-2010, 01:02 AM
or, if you have some skills, you can build your own......

Schematic (http://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/general-electronics-chat/22259d1221110103-wanted-schematic-12-vdc-input-19-5-vdc-output-supply-12v-19v-5amps.pdf)

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 01:09 AM
I was just kidding around. I know very little about them other than how to hook them up when i need one.

You are right about one thing, you get what you pay for. i have a 2000 what inverter under my hood for running small power tools in a pinch but I usually have a generator or welder generator in the back.

Madisonian
11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I thought being inverted from DC to AC was happened to recovering DUmmies after they where voted off Skinner's Island with a granite pizza as a parting gift.

Who knew?:confused:

Bailey
11-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I finally got a 600 constant watt pure sine wave inverter. Found out (after calling their help line) that voltage (or somesuch) was leaking into the negitive socket so I had to ground that to clear it up. Its was reaking havoc with my smart phone and laptop. Thanks for the help btw :)